Author Topic: V7 II VS. Bonneville?  (Read 20094 times)

Cwolfe

V7 II VS. Bonneville?
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
I am new to the forum so if this has been discussed my apologies in advance.
I am currently looking for a modern midsize bike with a retro look. I already have a 68' /2 beemer.
I have driven both a new V7 II Stone and a Triumph Bonneville and each bike felt good to me.
I am leaning towards the V7 II but still undecided. Can anyone give me some insites of choosing one over the other. Again my only background with either bike is brief demo ride. Thanks.

oldbike54

Re: V7 II VS. Bonneville?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »
 Triumph

Pros

Good dealer network
 Excellent build quality
 Will hear comments like "cool old bike man"

Cons

A bit heavy
 Some say it lacks character

Moto Guzzi
 Pros

Light fun bike
 Same comments as Triumph
 You get to hang out with other Guzzi riders

Cons
 Barely existent dealer network

Dusty

elvisboy77

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
Both are great bikes, no doubt.  If you do your own maintenance then the Guzzi is easy to work on (no experience with Triumph on that).  If not then you need to be relatively close to a dealer as they are fewer than Triumph dealers (My Guzzi dealer is 125 miles away but no big deal to me).

You won't go wrong with either, if it matters to you you will see a lot more Bonnie's than Guzzis on the road, some like it one way( a la Harley ) and others want to be less ubiquitous.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »
The Guzzi is a pretty much proven design and really shouldn't give any problems- so the dealer support thing is not that critical. If you are buying new, then the V7II has the better gearbox as well as single throttle body- both very good things.  If you are at all mechanically inclined, it is very easy to wrench on. If you MUST have a dealer, then the decision will probably steer you to the trumpet. 

I'm prejudiced, but the technical support on this forum is unbelievable.  I can post a question and expect a detailed answer within the hour. To me: this forum IS my support network. The handful of hardcore parts people are equally helpful.

While the accessories market for the Guzzi is smaller, the pieces and parts tend to be good quality. A V7 with Hepco Becker bags and the Le mans inspired fairing is a really spiffy smaller tourer.

The triumph really does make more power and, in my mind, it is noticeable. The big difference will be up hills. Both are extremely docile, extremely likeable machines. The Guzzi certainly has more of an exclusive, quirky vibe.  Both will go on the highway, but neither is really cut out for the multi lane slab. This is a very, very common comparison and the answer is always the same: pick the one you like- neither is a bad choice.

If after the smoke clears you still drift off thinking of pulling up to a little spot in your Guzzi and having yet another person say, "Moto what??"- then you have your answer.  You've contracted the sickness, my friend.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:24:57 AM »
Both are great bikes. My '03 Bonneville still makes me smile and has been superbly reliable. It is physically larger than the V7 and is commensurately heavier. The aftermarket for Triumphs is huge and very diverse. This is a good thing, because components on the Bonnie do not match the quality you will find on the Guzzi. If you find the V7II to suit you as it sits on the showroom floor, it is probably a better value. However, if you enjoy personalizing your bike, the Triumph will keep you happy a good long while...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »
Aftermarket goes the same way, as well.  Lots for Triumph.  Moto Guzzi not so much.

NOT true anymore.  Between Guzzi, AF1, MG Cycle and GuzziTech there are tons of aftermarket options for the V7 series.  Where have you been?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Rode both, discovered the V7, on paper was inferior to the Bonnie, but after riding them, seemed to be the better bike. So what did I do? I bought a CB1100....... fit me better. Tall guy with 36" inseam, the body does not suffer smaller bikes well anymore - although I still look at both of those bikes.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »
I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Rode both, discovered the V7, on paper was inferior to the Bonnie, but after riding them, seemed to be the better bike. So what did I do? I bought a CB1100....... fit me better. Tall guy with 36" inseam, the body does not suffer smaller bikes well anymore - although I still look at both of those bikes.

Bang , 5 years later , herpes  :grin:

Dusty

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
I currently have a 2007 Bonnie Scrambler that I picked up lightly used at a great price, it's a great "little" bike but clearly best on two lane country roads. I'm not a huge fan of it on highways but that's OK, I'm tired of highways and would rather avoid them anyway. At 60 MPH bopping down a nice country lane, it's a great bike and the riding position is for me, perfect. I've "customized" it a bit (seat, pipes, suspension etc), and it's just right for me at the moment.
I've ridden Guzzis for a long time and if I was buying new bike right now and had to choose between the two? It would likely be a V7II over a Bonnie (except for maybe a Newchurch model), they're just very cool bikes. I've yet to ride one, but I'm sure it's a hoot. Gorgeous little bikes those V7s, I DROOLED over that grey one at the Guzzi national this year. The only downside? Dealer support. But all that said, if I was truly shopping for a bike, my ultimate would probably be a used Tenni green Griso.

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
Ive had 3 Bonnies. Right now Im renting a v7 Stone. I think they're both on par. I was expecting the v7 to be a slug. It's actualy just as fast as a Bonnie or at least feels it but the v7 has a little less top end. It like surges to 80-85 and will fall flat and crawl to 110. Im 200lbs and  5'10" .
    Would I own one?  Maybe. Id buy a v7 over another Bonnie at least. 
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
I'm 162lbs and the CB gets up and romps - if you play with the higher rpm's. But it's speed limited to 112mph (send the ECU off to get burned and it can be removed, then it will do well over 130). But she is a bit heavier and puts out 80ish hp. But it's kinda like racing in your Thunderbird or Buick, not its' thing. There are better choices if you wish to play the hooligan (e.g. Griso  :evil: ).

That said, the CB was designed for cruising around Japan, where their national speed limit is around 60mph. From there to about 65 she is a dream. 75-80 she can get a bit buzzy. She will do the freeway all day though and folks tour on them (one couple from Belgium treated them as adventure bikes and went down to Belize. Were going to go all the way but the gal ended up with back problems that needed serious attention so they bailed in Belize. Went everywhere they would take the adventure bikes, just a wee bit slower. They even installed adventure style panniers.

As said else where here many times, it's the rider more than the bike.  :grin:

While still in production it's not sold in the states (which means a new one may be hard to find, but accessories are out there) which I think is a bigger deal for some. Also, kinda of a narrow niche machine that appeals to segment that seems to be smaller than the V7 or Bonnie crowd.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
Kinda begs the question; If Norton came out with a retro twin in the price range of the Bonnie and V7 I bet they couldn't make enough of them.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

lucydad

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
When I compared and test rode a Bonnie and V7R in 2012 the weight difference made the decision for me.  And I think the small block Guzzis are gorgeous, and we are blessed with an incredible dealer in Houston: MPH.  No regrets after over 3 years.  I like lighter bikes.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »
Owned a 2011 T100 until this summer.  Said for several years if I could only own one bike the Bonnie would be it.  Bewildering array of after market stuff.  The bike is virtually bullet proof and is substantially faster than the V7 (talking about the later fuel injected Bonnie's).  If you buy a Bonnie make sure you have an extra $1,000 because you will need a different seat and shocks and fork springs to make it rideable.

I sold the Bonnie this spring.  After riding Italian bikes for a couple ot years the Triumph was just, well, boring to ride.  The 'If I could only have one bike' honor is currently held by my Ducati Monster.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 05:37:24 AM »
I've had 3 Hinkley Triumph Bonnies-all great bikes.  Now a V7-2015 MY 5 speed.  Both were/are great bikes for what they are.
Both bikes, after shock and fork work, make me smile every ride.

I bought the Guzzi just because it wasn't a Bonnie.  No regrets.  I don't think there's a bad choice between the two.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 06:55:56 AM »
This is a Guzzi forum.  We are all afflicted.  Buy the GUZZI.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 08:20:34 AM »
I love my Bonneville and as has been said previously, there is lots of support and aftermarket goodies for Bonnevilles.  Shocks fork and seat transform Bonnevilles.  I would take it (and have) anywhere.  That said, I sure put a lot of miles on my  Norge...
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

bpreynolds

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 08:34:38 AM »
This topic has been back and forth on this board many previous occasions.  Do a search and you'll find plenty more.

My '15 V7 now has about 2k on the odo and it's my favorite bike ever among many of much larger and more powerful displacement.  I've logged many miles on my bud's Bonnie.  My experience is this:

-In good and bad ways, the Bonnie reminds me of a large displacement vintage Japanese bike.  Not much character but rock solid to the max and kinda enjoyable in this regard.  I've said the Bonnie is boring in the past but in truth, it is only boring to me when it is placed in comparison to the Guzzi which has character in spades.   

-The Bonnie is too small for my tastes and 32" inseam though it weighs more than the Guzzi - seat height may be lower than Goose, not sure. 

-I dunno about the tank range on the Bonnie but the Guzzi's tank range is unbelievable almost for this kind of bike - regularly in the 250 mile or more distance.

-Though it has more overall power, the Bonnie seems busier to me at the speeds I like to travel 70-85mph.  But yes, as mentioned above it does quickly and surprisingly run out of juice as the needle approaches the ton, this especially surprising given how easy and smooth the bike is at 80 and even 85.  I don't much care, however, as I like the fact I am getting uncomfortable and out of juice at 100.  The previous 106 HP Street Triple I owned would have stupidly been asking me to speed up about this mph and I, stupidly, would usually oblige. 

-Guzzi feels more flickable and fun to me personally.

-Though Guzzi has vastly increased customization options for the V7, the Triumph still dwarfs it in this arena.  Found a Guzzi passenger sissy bar/backrest (that is not a top box) for your V7?  I thought not.  This is just one example.

-Triumph dealers all over the place if you need one.  But Guzzi is, I notice, expanding in this regard.  There are now two dealers within 250 miles of me now and just 4 years ago, none.

-Does the newest Bonnie still have those pseudo carbs on it though it's fuel injected?  I always thought this was kinda silly.

-Subjectivity be damned, between two gorgeous bikes, the Guzzi is simply MORE gorgeous.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:37:09 AM by bpreynolds »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
I agree 100% regarding the Bonnie's stupid fake carbs on fuel injected bikes.  That's reason enough not to buy one.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 II VS. Bonneville
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
Kinda begs the question; If Norton came out with a retro twin in the price range of the Bonnie and V7 I bet they couldn't make enough of them.

Maybe. Those of us who have hung on to our Norts know it can still stay ahead of either of these bikes in stock form no problem. One advantage of the Triumph is there are so many ways to make it go fast. The carburated bikes respond well to the usual intake, exhaust and timing mods. This alone can add over 10HP to those bikes, dyno proved. Then there are big bore kits and cams. A few tuners Like Ed M can add a few more ponies to the V7 but not nearly the bang for the buck as the Triumph.

Pete

Offcamber1

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »

I am currently looking for a modern midsize bike with a retro look. I already have a 68' /2 beemer.

Screw the retro look nonsense.  Just ride the /2.

Don't just "look retro," "BE RETRO."

Lcarlson

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has commented on one difference between the V7 and the Bonneville that is critical to me: the Bonnie has chain final drive. I owned chain-drive bikes for many years, and because of that, have avoided them for many more. A couple of years ago, having constantly read of how much easier to maintain modern chains had become, I bought a Diavel. It was a hoot to ride, although not really a very good daily rider, but one thing hadn't changed: if you want your chain to last, you still have to spray it with some kind of dirty, messy goop every 300 - 500 miles. Necessarily, the goop ends up not just on the chain. You also have to be pretty mindful of the chain tension. In fairness, it wasn't really all THAT much trouble, but it was more than I wanted. Adios, Diavel.

I'm still considering the addition of a lightweight bike to my garage in the spring. Originally, I figured it would likely be a Ducati Scrambler, but  on reflection, it won't. No more chains.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
So, you're asking a bunch of Guzzi lovers... and I think you're getting some good, unbiased advise. I wonder, did you post a similar question on a Triumph forum?

I just did the Distinguished Gentleman's ride in Los Angeles last week. There were probably about 6 Moto Guzzis out of over 400 bikes (which is a very high concentration of Guzzis). You could not look in any direction without seeing a Triumph. Several old Beemers, Royal Enfields, etc. too.

I was looking hard at the V7s about a year ago. I went into the local dealer to test ride, but didn't even bother, because they happened to have a 2002 V11 Sport Scura (very distracting...). If the V7 is addictive, the V11 is a harder form of the same drug (at least for me).

As for local dealer support, we had a topic on here recently about why there are so few dealers - bottom line, because there aren't that many bikes. However, there are at least two great shops (Harpers and MG Cycle) right on your phone/computer (and this forum).

So, if the wider support and bigger crowd on Triumphs appeals to you, go that way. If want something a bit more distinctive and emotionally involving, well... you know what to do.

Keep the /2 - but ride the hell out of the new Guzzi.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Penderic

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
Get the Guzzi.

Buy two.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Cwolfe

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a comment. You gave me lots to think about.
I am still on the hunt!

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
This one:

While I too like the Triumph, I went with the V7ii because there really just aren't that many of them around. I get told all the time "Nice bike! What year is it?" or "My dad/brother/uncle had one of those back in the day!" Plus, IMO, they sound far better than the Bonnies. They may be a little under powered, but I guess that depends on what you expect out of it. I'm not expecting to strap bags onto the little 750 and head out to Alaska (I live on the East coast). BUT, there are guys who have done similar with the same bike. It's the perfect bike for tooling around town, going out to find that perfect weekend ride in the hills, and even commuting to work.

As far more knowledgeable folks have pointed out before me, dealer network for Guzzis is a bit thin, but I live a few miles from a dealer. Great for me to have them do my first 600 mi. maintenance or if anything I wrench goes horribly wrong. But if you are more proficient than I, you should have no trouble addressing anything with this bike. Also, no chain/mess to deal with!  :thumb:

Disclaimer: just like everyone else here, I'm biased!

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 10:37:14 AM »
Dang, she looks purdy in red!
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
That does look good in red, even matte red (though I think I might prefer shiny red). Good score! Wish I had one!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here