Author Topic: V7 II Luggage Options  (Read 8158 times)

rob-mg

V7 II Luggage Options
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
I'm in the process of buying a V7 II and have some questions about luggage racks and luggage itself.

I'm aware of the fact that there have been many discussions about luggage, but I want to be fairly specific.

In town, I need to be able to carry things like limited groceries, a bootle or two of wine, etc. I don't want to use a backpack, but I'm open to any other solution, including a "milk crate" and bungee arrangement on the back of the bike.

On a trip out of town, I need to be able to pack at most a pair of trousers, three shirts, three pair of underwear, three pair of socks and a pair of street shoes. No camping gear, etc.

Plus, basic tools. Probably buying a Stone, so no need for gear to deal with a flat on a tube.

I'm also interested in carrying an expensive digital camera with one or two lenses. As cameras go these days, it is fairly small and I'm talking about small prime lenses rather than zoom lenses. OK, maybe best to just say that the camera is a Leica M (typ 240), which means that it's fairly small. I am concerned about protecting it on the bike.

Moto Guzzi offers a short back rack, a long back rack and a back rack that replaces the passenger grips. What is the practical difference between these, especially having regard to my needs?

Moto Guzzi also offers side racks and a couple of saddlebag luggage options.

Then there's Hepco & Becker. For my needs, do their products make sense? I have seen suggestions that the Hepco & Becker racks on a V7 are more versatile, but I'm not sure that I understand why.

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:34:50 PM by rob-mg »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 II Luggage Options
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
In my mind there are only two options for serious luggage on the V7, both are HB.

Juniors and their racks (side and/or topcase) for hard/waterproof/locking luggage.

C-Bows and their less intrusive racks, but smaller/at least partially soft/not all completely waterproof bags.

I've got Juniors for function, but would consider C-Bows on a prettier bike like the racer vs the Stone.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:10 PM »
I don't know of any better option than Hepco + Becker.

Their racks are well built and will accept many of their lockable hard luggage.

I use the "Junior" cases.  I have both 30L and 40L side cases and a 40L topcase.

They're perfect for commuting.  I can carry my laptop in its padded carrying case.

I can haul a lot of groceries if all three bags are in place.

The 30L side cases are on it all the time.  I add the others as needed for the mission.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rob-mg

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »
Thanks Kev M and Rocker59,

This site is really helpful - another decision made.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »

rob-mg

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:53:56 PM »
Thanks all. I've decided to go with Hepco + Becker.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »
Just a thought: you might find a top case to be more convenient than panniers/saddle bags. I do.

When I had my Norge, I used the top case every day. I hardly ever used the saddle bags. My wife also appreciated the back rest...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

rob-mg

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »
Just a thought: you might find a top case to be more convenient than panniers/saddle bags. I do.

When I had my Norge, I used the top case every day. I hardly ever used the saddle bags. My wife also appreciated the back rest...

Yes, I may indeed go the top case route, at least initially.

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »
If you go Hepco& Becker in two different purchasers, be aware that you can specify the locks so that you finish up all keyed alike. The lock number is etched into the metal of the key.
Cheers
Brian  :wink:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

rob-mg

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 12:26:33 AM »
If you go Hepco& Becker in two different purchasers, be aware that you can specify the locks so that you finish up all keyed alike. The lock number is etched into the metal of the key.
Cheers
Brian  :wink:

Thanks, that's good to know.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 01:41:59 AM »
For the amount of luggage & groceries you are contemplating, saddlebags seem to be a bit of an overkill, unless unattended security is a consideration. A rack &/or a small seat bag would seem plenty.

My V7's have the factory rack that replaces the grab rails. It's solid, well built & attaches securely. A mate has the small rack, not quite as robust or secure, & after 2 months the chrome has almost completely gone & it's rusting badly. I shop with mine, sometimes with a daypack, but for a more serious shop, a couple of rok straps secure a cardboard box (from the shop) with the groceries on the rack. I find it does me, but then I'm usually shopping for just one or two.

for trips, a small bag on the seat, one that's easy to strap on & to remove, should be enough for your clothes & camera gear. Strap the wet weather gear on the rack, and you're good to go. Seat bags can also go on the rack, but I prefer them on the seat with the weight over the wheel.

Good luck, enjoy your shopping around and have fun.

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 02:10:03 AM »
I have the Ventura rack system.  Works a treat and no sidebag mounting bars to look at when not in use.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
...... for trips, a small bag on the seat, one that's easy to strap on & to remove, should be enough for your clothes & camera gear. Strap the wet weather gear on the rack, and you're good to go. Seat bags can also go on the rack, but I prefer them on the seat with the weight over the wheel.

Malik's assessment of your needs sounds on target.  I believe a seat bag like the Cortech model shown here on my Sport would work fine for the amount of baggage you mentioned in your post.  And if you later expand to soft or hard saddlebags, the seat bag can be used in conjunction with them.

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
H+B do pannier racks for V7 and V7II Can someone explain the difference? I suspect it's to do with one attaching to side grab rails and one not but I don't know?

rob-mg

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. Much appreciated.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Here's another vote for the HB juniors.  Good racks- easy on and off. I have a tail bag just like bob (ohiorider) if I need even more room.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here