Author Topic: V7 II small oil leak- Anyone else?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline szasz

• Hatchling
    • Fukuoka Now
V7 II small oil leak- Anyone else?
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:12:17 AM »
Just before going out for a ride this morning (in 4 degrees C weather!), while looking over my bike I noticed a wet spot on the engine. Touch with my finger and it felt oily. See attached photos. It's 2015 model, just one year old, and only 7,300 kms - so I will take it to my dealer. But thought I ask here in case other V7 II owners experienced the same. From these photos - can cause be determined? Thanks.

Nick

v7 II oil 1 by Fukuoka Now, on Flickr

v7 II oil 2 by Fukuoka Now, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:13:30 AM by szasz »
2015 Guzzi V7II Stone
2009 Griso 8v (sold)
2012 Honda CT110 (Hunter Cub)
1973 Honda Monkey 50cc

pete roper

Re: V7 II small oil leak- Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:29:30 AM »
If it is gear oil it probably means the gearbox is over filled. If it is engine oil it has probably pumped some into the airbox and it's leaking out of there. Have a look at the two little transparent 'Teats' on the bottom of the airbox and see if they have oil in. If they do it means the airbox has oil in it.

Pete

Offline szasz

• Hatchling
    • Fukuoka Now
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 07:37:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll check that out.

Nick
2015 Guzzi V7II Stone
2009 Griso 8v (sold)
1973 Honda Monkey 50cc

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
Is your dipstick tight?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
Those small spatters suggest to me that something oily from the road splashed up onto the bike.  I'd clean them off and see if they return before concluding that the bike itself has a leak.  That said, it's always good to check that the filler/dipstick is screwed in tightly, as many of us have had them unscrew during a ride, causing a huge oil mess.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:56:51 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »
Left side jug?  I've got an oil weep on that side.  2016 V7II Stone.

Literally on my last day of the riding season before our first snow I noticed an oily film on the gear shift lever.  And then I kept looking and saw oily film in many areas down (air)stream of the left cylinder, mainly horizontally to a bit below horizontally from the cylinder.  First thought, dipstick gasket because that happened once before.  Nope, dipstick was fine, no oil residue anywhere near it.  Looked carefully at the cylinder for oil marks, saw oily film on a couple fins about 6 or 7 fins below the valve cover (if I recall that count properly).  With a small flashlight I found the source.  Between those fins, about 6-7 below the valve cover, seems to be the cylinder head joint and gasket to the bottom of the jug.  (Correct my nomenclature if I'm wrong.)  At that point was more than an oily film, there was enough seepage to identify motor oil.

I cleaned up everything really well, including the fins, and between them.  I went for a ride, and watched.  I decided to go to the dealer at the end of the ride, and we found the oil seeping out at that gasket once again, getting dragged rearward in the airflow through the fins.

It was a slow, late fall day in the shop.  The mechanic put it on the lift then proceeded to check (but not tighten, the engine being hot) the torques on all the head bolts, just to make sure one had not come unusually loose.  All were fine.  He cleaned all the oily film away again, including between the fins, and I rolled out telling them I'd watch it.  10 miles later I was home, with oil seeping from that gasket once again.  In the spring they'll do a warranty repair and replace the gasket.

So, check for that.  I also did some WG archive checking for a similar leak.  Some results came back but I don't think I read through them.  I'll have to do that again.  And for reference, my oil level was slightly lower than previous, and yes there is a bit of oil in the air box condoms/teats with a film residue in the bottom of the airbox, but there is no oil seepage to the outside of the airbox or in any other area of the engine, just from the cylinder.

Hope that helps you.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline szasz

• Hatchling
    • Fukuoka Now
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
Thanks Steve  - your report will be very helpful when I take my bike to my dealer.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to get there for two weeks from now. I'll report back to this thread with the results.

Nick
2015 Guzzi V7II Stone
2009 Griso 8v (sold)
1973 Honda Monkey 50cc

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here