Author Topic: V7 II Stornello or V7 III Rough?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline allmotive

• New Egg
V7 II Stornello or V7 III Rough?
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
Hi everyone!

I've had my license for 2 years and started learning on my '15 Yamaha R3. Great little bike, but i'm looking for something with a little more gas range and touring capabilities.
I've been really taking a good look at Moto Guzzi's for quite some time and have decided that I have narrowed it down to a 16 Stornello or 18 V7 III Rough.

These bikes really come with a lot of bang for your buck, 5+ gallon tank, ABS, Traction Control, Brembo brakes, shaft drive, Standard configuration, quality parts.

All of these things really check the boxes for what i'm looking for as far as my next bike. Everything else i've looked at was lacking in some areas. Harley's scrape/too expensive, Yamaha Bolt 3 gallon tank, SV650/FZ07 are nice but don't budge on price, Suzuki GSX-S750 dirt cheap but hard to find. the Honda CB650R isn't coming out until April/May this year. I love the new styling but i'm also trying to get away from the constant maintenance of a chain drive.

The ONLY thing I really don't like about the Stornello is the fact that the color scheme (white, red, silver, black) don't really cohesively fit with the overall appearance of the bike.
I would probably get black side panels, black windscreen and look at buying/painting new fenders white to match.
I have also seen that NOBODY really mods the Stornello at all with the exception of a tail rack.
High exit Arrow exhaust is a HUGE plus for me.

The only thing I don't like about the Rough is it only comes with one dial. But it has 10% more power and a completely reworked motor that might be more reliable over time.

Power is not a huge factor for me. I'm 32 with 2 kids and don't need/want to go fast.

What are your suggestions based on experience?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 II Stornello or V7 III Rough?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
As much as I like a tach, as the owner of both a MKI V7 Stone and now a V7III Carbon Dark, I'd go with the III any day of the week! And I love my MkI

I like a tach too, but the III models with the single dial have a programmable shift light and I can't see "needing" more even if I'd like it.

Of course, if you didn't care about ABS and wanted to save some money on a really nice/well accessorized V7,  I'd direct you to a gorgeous MK1 Special in the marketplace owned by the NJ MGNOC Rep.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:22:11 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:32:59 PM »
PS

Have you sat on or ridden any of them yet?

There is a difference in the rider triangle between the MKI & II vs the MKIII.

The III sits a little lower to the ground, yet there is a larger distance between the seat/frame and the foot controls, something like an inch and half or so.

This means your legs are a little less bent on the III though that might be better or wors depending on the individual.

I have to say, after all that, the Stornello is a really good looking bike in person and the red frame is just stunning.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »
V7 III FTW!

I currently have a 2013 V7 Racer and a 2017 V7 III Special.
I previously owned a 2014 V7 Special for 2 1/2 years, and a 2009 V7 Classic for two years.

The stock suspension is noticeably better on the III.   The engine makes noticeably more power at all rev ranges and is smoother.    Not a huge amount more, but, definitely noticeable.   

That said, I have to second Kev's suggestion to take a good look at cam3512's 2014 V7 Special if you don't need or want ABS and traction control.   It is well cared for and nicely accessorized.   Those Agostini pipes sound awesome without being obnoxiously loud, and that paint matched bikini fairing is beautiful!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum, I should warn you Guzzi are addictive, you can't have just one.
Sooner or later you will need to own an old loop, they are a ton of fun.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
Kind of funny what bugs some people and not others.

Personally, I think the Stornello color scheme and metal fenders are spot on perfect ... beautiful moto.

I was a bit shocked at the agricultural (i.e. tractor like) rear brake and shifter levers ... not sure why that bothered me so much.   :grin:

You can put a high scrambler type exhaust on the V7 III ... but the Arrow one is a painful $1900!  :shocked:  And if you find an exhaust for a ii, they don't fit a iii.

For the Rough, I'm with you on the 1 dial (gauge) ... while the tach isn't exactly needed, I think it looks much much better with the dual setup.

I'm not a fan of the Rough's satin grey color, black frame, flat-ish black exhaust, a bit dreary.   :grin:

So here is a crazy thought ... I've seen stupid low prices on a 2017 V7 III Racer ... if you get one of those you get Ohlins shocks, red frame, iii engine, beautiful rear brake & shifter levers ... then you could scrambler-ize it as much as you'd like. 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:19:49 AM by usedtobefast »
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
Of course on the Racer you're more leaned over and crouched, which is a different experience than a Stornello or Rough.  The bikes are more similar than dissimilar, so pick the one you like and make the best of it.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
Cam's bike is perfect and available.  These perfectly sorted bikes from a reputable owner don't come around all that often.  I'd look hard at that bike.
That said, some think the Stornello is one of the most beautiful V7 bikes ever.  I'm in that camp.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
I think the Stornello is a beautiful bike just the way it is. 

That said, I think the V7III is a much improved bike over the IIs.  It feels like a modern motorcycle.  They got the geometry, rake & trail, engine spot on with the V7III.

You can turn any of the V7IIIs into a scrambler style bike so you could get a great deal on a '17 stone or special and turn it into a scrambler if you want.  Moto Guzzi sells the cross brace for the handlebars, the high exhaust from Arrow, some 50/50 tires and there you go.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline flat out

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »
Stornello, it's fantastic.

al2o3 crystal
2016 Stornello
2019 Ducati Supersport S

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 02:42:42 PM »
I think they are BOTH fine machines...but given the choice, I would personally pick the Stornello!! :thumb: :cool:  Good luck with your decision! :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
+1 on 'Cam's bike'. I know the man. Great guy and truly diligent about his motorcycles. He lives in eastern, South Jersey. You may not be far from each other. Literally a new bike, in my opinion.

I have a much modified series 3 racer. Cosmetically it's a different bike, but the engine & performance in the 3 series is much improved, in several subtle ways. I was after both gauges, better suspension, handling, braking & foot controls; hence the choice of the Racer. I had K-Tech fork innards added b4 delivery, along w/several other changes.

The main difference is the people who ride Guzzi's. In October I will have been riding 70 years. I've been into MG for 20 years this Avril. Guzzi people are the best where ever you go. You can count on them.
    Good fortune,   R3~

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 10:07:30 PM »
Depends on what you want.  I looked at V7 ii, and iii, bought a V7ii Stornello. Mainly because I had a (sport) standard in my Griso, and a touring bike in the Norge.

As others have said, there is some difference in ride, power and electronics on the iii, but I wanted the 'scrambler' in form and function. Ride them and see what speaks to you. IMO, the major drawback on the Stornello is luggage capability. The High pipe makes side bags problematic. IMO once you get the bike dialed in for you, and adjust to the bike the difference in power is not consequential.

I wouldn't have bought the Stornello if it was my only ride. Cam's bike looks very nice as an all around, and is a great deal. There is another member CBlias on ADV also selling a similarly well sorted V7ii if you need/want ABS.  I dont care either way. The systems work well, but arent a deal breaker for me. I tend to shut off the TC anyway.

Stornello has it all over the rough in the looks and rarity department, but that is subjective. I'm not a fan of the race medallions, but the satin fenders, red frame, and red/white tank are stunning.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:11:50 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 06:19:44 AM »
FWIW - Cam's bike is in perfect shape, it's cosmetically gorgeous, comes completely sorted/accessorized, and I bet you could work something out with him to get it delivered if you needed.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
Doesn’t appear the OP is too appreciative of any of the help offered here.    :sad:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here