Author Topic: 04 Stone fuel light  (Read 366 times)

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
04 Stone fuel light
« on: April 05, 2024, 12:34:27 PM »

A strange one.....  So I hit a pothole that nearly knocked my fillings loose.  :undecided:   The bike died and the low fuel light came on.    It took a while, but the bike eventually started and runs fine, however the fuel light stays on even with a full tank.  I don't know if it is a gauge issue or probably something in the pump unit. It's not really needed,  I just may disconnect the light as I use the odometer to determine when to refuel.   Anyway, a strange occurance..... :bike-037:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 04 Stone fuel light
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 01:20:49 PM »
Try disconnecting the battery.  Reconnect after a 10 count.  It may reset the ecu.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:25:50 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 01:56:57 PM »

Tom,  thanks for the tip.  I tried it, but now, the light flickers with throttle use. 
Perhaps there is a loose wire at the gauge..... :weiner:

hummmm

edit:  the light stays on, no more flickering.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:49:42 PM by bacongrease »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 02:12:33 PM »
That was the next suggestion.  Take tank off.  Shake it to make sure float level is moving back and forth.  Check connectors to tank.  Pull and reinstall relay for the fuel pump.  Possible where you're at you might have some slight corrosion to electrical connectors.  Good luck!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 02:12:33 PM »

Online michaell32

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 04:06:02 PM »
I don't think there is a float on a california stone.  It's a thermistor inside the tank that makes the light brighter as the temperature changes.

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 04:50:24 PM »

Yep...no float in the tank.    :shocked:

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 06:07:12 PM »
That is a thermistor in the tank. It is in a metal can on a steel pole. It is common for the steel pole to break. Maybe your thermistor is now touching ground and lighting the light. Is it brighter than normal and come on instantly with the key?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 08:01:23 PM »
yes, it lights up with the key.  It seems bright,  but it has never been lit before, so I am not certain  it is brighter than normal..

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 10:26:49 AM »
It is very easy to stress this rod when removing and installing the pump,filter assembly. It has 2 holes formed into it for attachment. Could have been previously stressed and the pothole knocked it loose.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here