Author Topic: Guzzi reliability  (Read 57960 times)

tarless

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guzzi reliability
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
My wife was back in her usual jeans two weeks after Fi was born...me it took two years to lose the baby weight. :D

And that was just cruel about the beer...ohhhhh wait, there's fruit in your beer? Never mind, I'm good.

Ahh, the weekend is almost here (thank God).

Ya see, be careful with absolutes, there are times when wine is right, like at an all you can eat Brazilian Steakhouse (gotta leave room for the steak), or say when you're cheating on your diet mid-week. ;)

Well technically it's a gourd not a fruit... hate fruit in my beer, but pumpkin? Southern Tier makes two killer pumpkins. The rest them out there I hate.. hiccup!

Okay, beer is better than wine unless you're at a Rodizio with endless meat (beef::)....I love rodizio's and Churrascarias!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Guzzi reliability
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
It's still pretty fruity (double-entendre). :D

I'm more Maerzen kinda guy, or a Bock...

...and I was thinking Fogo De Chao, but probably same difference.

Life is good!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ScottR

• New Egg
Re: Guzzi reliability
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
I had a Honda 750 Shadow that I put 60K miles on and did nothing but fluid changes and a stator replacement!  I put 35k on a Honda CX500 and did nothing but fluid changes and a clutch cable.  Just went on a 800 mile ride and one of the guy's 2012 HD Street Glide transmission decided to get stuck in second gear.  Another guy's 2013 HD trike stated idling rough and stalling... I rode a friend's Honda VTX1800 on that trip.  So my point is that even new Harleys have all sorts of issues.....
1980 Honda CX500D
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado "Old Douglas"
2002 Moto Guzzi California EV "Talia"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
Hey Kev M , how much does that beard weigh ? ;D I thought you were looking pretty svelte in the last pic we saw of you . Maybe it was that the MC you were on was just large  ;)
Dusty

That pic (I figure you're making a comment about the Indian --- AND ME) was 16 pounds ago!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
That pic (I figure you're making a comment about the Indian --- AND ME) was 16 pounds ago!

Good on ya .  ;-T How is the baby ?
Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
Good on ya .  ;-T How is the baby ?
Dusty

Which one, the one growing in Jenn or the one sitting on my lap right now cause the nanny needed the day off?

Uhh, both are fine as both as I know.  :BEER:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Guzzi reliability
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
We kinda thought you were the nanny , you know , the big lovable kind  ;D Seriously , good to hear . One question , have you established who is in charge , and does the little one in your lap let you think you are ?
Dusty

What gave you that impression, the annoying Long Island NY accent? :D

Man, this one has uhhh fighting spirit, holy crap....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

faffi

« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
Motorcycles vibrate, and their mechanical parts are exposed to the elements, so fasteners loosen and things can fall off.  A shift lever coming loose is a common problem on ALL bikes.  The solution is to do a pre-ride inspection before every ride, and a more thorough inspection anywhere from once a week to once a month, depending on how often you ride.  For a motorcycle that is primary or sole means of transportation, some time each weekend should be spent going over the bike and adjusting the controls, tightening bolts, airing the tires, etc.

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but my brother has had 4 Guzzis; V7 Special, Lario, Cali II and Cali 1100, and other when the Lario developed a leak between engine and clutch, he basically just rode them. Every day. Rain, snow or sunshine. Without looking at them until it was time to service them. Nothing ever fell off, but there probably where the odd stuff needing attention every several thousand miles, although nothing I can remember. Same with his old Triumph Trident 150V and other old machines. The clue is to have a well sorted bike to begin with.

My own 1977 Kawasaki Z650 is ridden just like a modern bike. I ride 5000+ miles per year, only touring, and replace oil and filter once per year and expect to do 20,000 miles before I check the valves again. I did go through the bike when I bought it, basically stripping everything save the engine and inspecting and torquing everything. I see zero reason to inspect the bike frequently. I check the oil level every 1000 miles or so, clean and lube the chain at the same time and otherwise I ride.

That a new bike may have the odd issue can be expected - they are mass produced to a price and parts are sourced from all over and then stuffed together quickly, all in order to make enough money to sustain the business. But once sorted, I personally would expect a modern motorcycle to operate with similar reliability to a modern car for 100,000 miles, provided it isn't abused.

I can, however, understand why somebody is willing to accept more niggles in order to own something that gives them more pleasure in other areas - like a Guzzi or a Ducati or a veteran machine. But I personally would not accept parts regularly falling off a bike meant to be ridden long distances unless checked and tightened frequently.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »
Newbie bump.  :boozing:

200 miles on my 1st Guzzi....  :violent1:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
<SIGH> This thread is a hoot , just don't start telling us how your Guzzi vibrates worse than a solid mount Sportster  :rolleyes:

Dusty

I call it my Italian Harley, riding to Sturgis next year.  :boozing:

oldbike54

« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
I call it my Italian Harley, riding to Sturgis next year.  :boozing:

Oh damn , don't tell a certain Virginian  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »
Oh damn , don't tell a certain Virginian  :grin:

Dusty

Who you talking about?

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

oldbike54

« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
Who you talking about?

Dean

Not you Dean , although I have no idea how you feel about Sturgis  :laugh:

Dusty

PS , bring back the young lady , that guy freaks me out  :grin:

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »
The same way I feel about Bike Week at Daytona, I hate big crowds of people.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

oldbike54

« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
The same way I feel about Bike Week at Daytona, I hate big crowds of people.

Dean

Interesting , never knew .

Dusty

Poncho

« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
<SIGH> This thread is a hoot , just don't start telling us how your Guzzi vibrates worse than a solid mount Sportster  :rolleyes:   Dusty

Am on my 4th goose. or is it geese? 03 picked up a mildly used v11 lemon, er,  lemans for $7k cheap. Rode it all of 1/4 mile and put it bak up for sale. It was and shook worse than both my hardley ridgid sportster so. 07 bought a new v11 griso. 2 yrs 12k miles got rid of that paint shaker. 13 got a used v7 stone. Fun bike but too lite for all day riding. 14 test ride a v14 Cali, was on my radar till Indian got in my face and garage. This year picked up that new 14 Cali w factory 4K discounts. 8 months 8k smiles, is my favorite bike of.. well am down to just three sleds rotate duty. V14 goose is smoother than Tennessee sipping whiskey. poncho

oldbike54

« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »
Am on my 4th goose. or is it geese? 03 picked up a mildly used v11 lemon, er,  lemans for $7k cheap. Rode it all of 1/4 mile and put it bak up for sale. It was and shook worse than both my hardley ridgid sportster so. 07 bought a new v11 griso. 2 yrs 12k miles got rid of that paint shaker. 13 got a used v7 stone. Fun bike but too lite for all day riding. 14 test ride a v14 Cali, was on my radar till Indian got in my face and garage. This year picked up that new 14 Cali w factory 4K discounts. 8 months 8k smiles, is my favorite bike of.. well am down to just three sleds rotate duty. V14 goose is smoother than Tennessee sipping whiskey. poncho

Were you letting the older geese rev or trying to ride them like a hardley ?

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »

V11 yeah I'm with Dusty, didn't ride it "right".

Griso, either lugging or throttle body balance.

V7 YOU'RE NUTS, or you're doing something out wasn't meant for. 10k in I'm loving mine and I've loved 5 Harleys so I get the big/heavy bike thing.

Cali, well that's the Italian Harley. There's a lot to like.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Poncho

« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »
Were you letting the older geese rev or trying to ride them like a hardley ?  Dusty

bought a 6mo old 3k mile v11 lemans, site unseen from a dealer took it on trade, for reasonable cheap.
drove truck to Ft Worth Tx. fired it up, sounded great, it had mistrel carbon fiber. paid cash and loaded in the truck. back home, unloaded it, rode it around the block. parked it. called the dealer and told him to keep his add going. I rode it maybe 2 or 3 times tops. it shook so bad it made my paintshakers feel like a gentle sea breeze..
a fella Tom from Sacramento bought it, shipped it there. he knew what the issue was, tuned it and raced it for several years. we stayed in touch. eventually he crashed it racing in the Sierras.

v11 griso. was a new purchase. flew to Atlanta Ga. paid 10k and rode it back to Texas. this bike was acquired to settle my goose issues and replace my beloved 04 zuki SV1k nekid canyon carver.. the Griso never fit me rite (wide frame) and it was fine up to 55mph 4000rpm, any faster that it just vibrated too much..

v7 stone. I had no performance issues with it. just that Guzzi was discounting the Cali 2k + another 2k if you traded in..  so I let the stone get away.

but the v14 is just making up for all the others in spades. It is far away the best motor of the lot.. its my everyday bike and canyon carver. I reserve my Injun Chieftain for travel only, 16k smiles 2yrs. Iv slowed down tremendously. the Roadstar is my 10yr old cruiser, bagger. has served well 73k smiles... may retire her to a frend soon.. 2 sleds are nuff for me these daze.. mind you the RITE two. poncho

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here