Author Topic: Well, on to something else (perhaps)  (Read 7636 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Well, on to something else (perhaps)
« on: September 22, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
The motorcycle transportation company stopped by this afternoon, and we loaded the lovely Tenni Green Griso onto a nicely padded dolly, strapped her down, and lifted her into the back of the 18 wheeler.  Off to her new owner.  It was definitely a bitter-sweet moment for me.  I realize there are lots on this forum that would prefer the Griso over the 2008 1200 Sport, but for me, the Sport works better (for me) ..... always has, always will.  60,000 miles on the Sport over 6 years vs 10,000 miles on the Griso over 4 years. 

How do we account for taste? I don't know.  But I do know I never had a motorcycle with as much eye-appeal as the Griso in Tenni Green.  I even had one gentleman quickly exit his 'stretched' Mercedes at a fuel stop to ask about the bike, take a pic or two.  And he didn't even ride!  Another instance ..... a bicycle rider decked out in all the gear took one look at the Griso and asked 'who makes it?' As soon as I said 'Moto Guzzi' he immediately went into an 'I love all things Italian', and finished by saying 'now I know they make the loveliest motorcycles in the world.'

For me, at 72, pushing 73 in a few months, it was a love-hate, or more like a love-not in love relationship.  But when she was right, and I was right, it was a wonderful combination.

I think I may have shed a tear or two as the truck pulled away. I will always remember this lovely motorcycle.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Well, on to something else (perhaps)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »
They're pretty bikes for sure.   

But as a wise man (or elf, or wizard, I can't remember) once said "He who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters."

Sounds like it was time.   And you know, if Seller's Regret ever gets too strong, that's not the only green Griso in the sea .... !!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
Good story.  :thumb: :thumb:  Like many others on this forum, I have owned a BUNCH of motorcycles and when I sold several of them, I had the same emotions; others, not so much.  I like to try new things and motorcycles happen to hit my hot button.
You'll probably find something else soon that will scratch your itch.
NO longer can ride

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
you sent that off to my address, right? when is it gonna be delivered>?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »
I always felt like it was marrying off a daughter, and hoping for the future health of the union....

Offline QCGoose

• Gaggle Hero
  • Chris McFate
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
I always felt like it was marrying off a daughter, and hoping for the future health of the union....

Perfect way to sum it up. Your main concern is that "she'll be taken care of." :thumb:
1998 Guzzi V11 EV
1997 Guzzi 1100 Sport
2004 Ducati Monster 1000Sie
1970 Honda CB175
 --------------------
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
I know what you mean. My Tenni Griso has been a love hate thing. But we seem to have come to an understanding now.

But some day, she'll have to go.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:10:36 AM »
 Pass the tissues ...
2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 06:03:54 AM »
Bob, I felt the same way with the Norge. Beautiful bike, just not suited to me. No doubt the new owner is getting a cream puff as I know how you take care of your stuff.

Now, if I were to leave something parked in your driveway, maybe you would clean it to within an inch of its life............... :grin: :boozing:

John Henry

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »
The only time I've had seller's remorse was when Rosie's titanium music faded off in the distance. Nicest sounding motorcycle ever made.  :smiley: It was the right thing to do though, I certainly don't need two V11 Lemans, and I'll be bringing the Mighty Scura home..but still. She has a good keeper, though.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
I'm not sure there was a single bike I really WANTED to let go - but wanting to try new things usually got the better of me.

There also were a number of victims of that trying new things, thing... I kept feeling like I SHOULD want a R1100RSa, or a Breva 1100, or a Buell S3T but none of them stayed around even half as long as an RK, Sportster, Jackal, or most likely now a V7.

Just looking at those bikes I'm seeing a pattern (finally).

One of these days maybe, just maybe, I'll learn to listen to myself.

Till then there will be more new ones that will arrive and leave too soon for better suited owners.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »
72-73?

While those aren't the numbers they used to be (Berra content) they are a point at which I would suggest hopping onto another horse or foregoing them altogether rather than leaving too long a gap between bikes.

Certainly something lower and lower CG'd than a Griso.
Victory?
Cali 1400?
V-7?

Good luck in any case and good on ya for having the discipline to let it go. I'll likely saddle my gal Sal with a "museum" to me in riders and un-finished projects.

Todd.

Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »
72-73?

While those aren't the numbers they used to be (Berra content) they are a point at which I would suggest hopping onto another horse or foregoing them altogether rather than leaving too long a gap between bikes.

Certainly something lower and lower CG'd than a Griso.
Victory?
Cali 1400?
V-7?

Good luck in any case and good on ya for having the discipline to let it go. I'll likely saddle my gal Sal with a "museum" to me in riders and un-finished projects.

Todd.
Whoa, Todd!  I didn't get rid of the only horse in the stable.  There's the R100GS, and 1200 Sport  Don't see any of the above as a Griso replacement.  I'm thinking about more of an all-rounder, perhaps a Triumph Tiger 800.  Although I'd want to consult with some V11 owners before getting another bike to fill the empty slot in the garage.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
Whoa, Todd!  I didn't get rid of the only horse in the stable.  There's the R100GS, and 1200 Sport  Don't see any of the above as a Griso replacement.  I'm thinking about more of an all-rounder, perhaps a Triumph Tiger 800.  Although I'd want to consult with some V11 owners before getting another bike to fill the empty slot in the garage.

With me, I always have to answer the question:

"What am I really going to use this bike for?"

Is it often going to be used two up?     That's why I bought my Stelvio and my Norton Commando.

Is this going to be a "rally bike" for foregathering with like-minded enthusiasts?   Hence my BSA A10 and BSA M21.

Is this going to be an "all-rounder" "personal bike"?    That was the reason for my BSA Firebird Scrambler and my fairing-less 1000SP.

Depending on which one of those I sold, and what my needs were at the moment, it would determine what bike I'd buy next.

If it were just a high-performance bike just for me, no passenger, don't care what brand?    Roll a die for a Ducati Monster, a Griso, or a Speed Triple.

If it's one that Fay wants to ride with me?   Something similar to the Stelvio.

Not that any of those in particular interest you, but there's enough nice bikes out there, both current and recent past, that you ought to be able to find a perfect combination of utility, performance, and lust ....

Lannis

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »

Oops - Too cool, that.

I interpreted events as a potential life-change without noting your listed wheels.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
Bob, I felt the same way with the Norge. Beautiful bike, just not suited to me. No doubt the new owner is getting a cream puff as I know how you take care of your stuff.

Now, if I were to leave something parked in your driveway, maybe you would clean it to within an inch of its life............... :grin: :boozing:

John Henry
That was a lovely Norge, John!  Re leaving something in my driveway, you wouldn't like the way I clean.  I'm a duster, and use detail spray ..... bikes get a little oily ... but I don't like hitting them with the hose and soap more than once a year.  I do wish the big 2v 1200 bikes were just a tad lighter ... but they are what they are.  I'm not ruling out a nice, low mileage 2v Norge as a replacement, as long as there is a good low shield available that lets some breeze blow through.

Bob

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
Bob , let's face it , you are a motorbike junkie  :grin: I do see a new Triumph in your future  :bike-037:

Dusty
..... and your point is ...?   :wink:  I think all of us on this site are truly addicted.  As an old BMW ad campaign said ' BMW (or other) Motorcycles ... Worth The Obsession.'  There will be some bike to fill the void.  Triumph of some sort is a likely candidate.  Already done the T100, but could do another, since I know how easy they are to maintain.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:47:14 PM by ohiorider »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
I still wish I had access to every motor vehicle I ever called my own.   I wish I still owned most of them!   They all had their warts, some were almost tumors, but I miss them anyway.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
...But as a wise man (or elf, or wizard, I can't remember) once said
      "He who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters."
    Lannis 

I think I heard Yogi Berra say this.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

LongRanger

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »
Not that any of those in particular interest you, but there's enough nice bikes out there, both current and recent past, that you ought to be able to find a perfect combination of utility, performance, and lust ....
I'm still looking.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 08:44:49 PM »
I'm still looking.

Amazing how many bikes one seems to need to buy over the course of a lifetime to FIND that combination .... !

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
I think I heard Yogi Berra say this.

Well you know what Yogi would have said to that ... ""I didn't really say everything I said .... "

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
Even a Yamaha FJ09 (Adv) in primer green is a candidate.  This bike seems to compete with the Tiger 800 XR with mag wheels.  Reviews seem to  favor the Triumph, until the spec sheets are pulled out.   Then the Yama seems to come alive.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I'm pretty much in the same camp. I sold my Griso 1100 and (after an EV) bought my 1200S. It really does get the job done and rides like a Bentley. I just bought a 2014 Aprilia Shiver on a whim. Great engine, thin, lighter - but I wouldn't take it on a tour.  I'm constantly amazed and intrigued at the different characteristics between motorcycles. Unlike the homogenization of most main stream autos, we have the fun of celebrating the differences between machines.  I'm absolutely convinced that it is a conspiracy of the bike manufacturers to get us to continually buy and sell bikes.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
I'm pretty much in the same camp. I sold my Griso 1100 and (after an EV) bought my 1200S. It really does get the job done and rides like a Bentley. I just bought a 2014 Aprilia Shiver on a whim. Great engine, thin, lighter - but I wouldn't take it on a tour.  I'm constantly amazed and intrigued at the different characteristics between motorcycles. Unlike the homogenization of most main stream autos, we have the fun of celebrating the differences between machines.  I'm absolutely convinced that it is a conspiracy of the bike manufacturers to get us to continually buy and sell bikes.

And it's working just like they planned ....  :laugh:

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:03 PM »
Even a Yamaha FJ09 (Adv) in primer green is a candidate.  This bike seems to compete with the Tiger 800 XR with mag wheels.  Reviews seem to  favor the Triumph, until the spec sheets are pulled out.   Then the Yama seems to come alive.

OH NO !

Dusty

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 06:05:38 AM »

OH NO !

Dusty
Maybe .... just a thought after looking over one yesterday at the HondaYammyzukiKawiA prili shop.  Looked over a Caponord(e?) too, but it looks and probably runs much like many better-supported machines, at least here in the USA.  That's only a supposition on my part, not based on fact.

Unfortunately, it seems the only thing missing is the classy Triumph script across the tank.  On the plus side, I've always had good luck with Yamaha products, whether with two wheels or 88 keys.

Dusty .... check it out.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/17/2015-yamaha-fj-09-sport-touring-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos-specifications/

Note:  I described the FJ09 as 'primer green.'  That explains how the grey suit I bought when still in my teens was described by one of my buddies as the 'strangest color of green he'd ever seen!'  The Yammy is primer grey, not green.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:20:28 AM by ohiorider »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:59 AM »

OH NO !

Dusty

Can't ride a spec sheet.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »
Can't ride a spec sheet.
That's true, but I can and will take both the Tiger 800 and FJ09 out for extended demo rides, and may end up with neither.  Whatever I buy may be the last bike I buy, and I really want one that keeps me in the saddle vs on the computer .... you know, eat, ride, sleep, repeat.  I still have the twin cylinder 1991 R100GS and 2008 1200 Sport to remind me how real motorcycles feel.  They're going nowhere.  They're keepers.

biking sailor

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »
Bob, I have ridden both the Tiger and the FJ09.  Both 3 cylinder motors have plenty of pull and it really comes down to how they fit and what they have. 

For me, the longer valve intervals on the Yamaha scored big (as I put a lot of miles on a bike and 12 verses 26 K mile adjustments are a significant issue to me).  Also the Tiger has electronic cruise, which where I live is really handy (droning a couple hundred freeway miles in any direction is required before finding interesting roads for my travels and commuting is mostly highway).

I recently was looking for a replacement for my Stelvio and test rode a Super Tenere (main objective), an FJ09 (second objective), and an FZ07 and FJR (just because I had the time to kill).  Boy was my mind changed.  The Tenere and FJ09, while very nice bikes were just OK, but the bike that really ticked all my "need" boxes was the FJR, and the FZ07 is a super fun little bike that I predict will be thought of as another SV650, only better.

I ended up buying an FJR and think of it as my Goldwing Lite.   :evil:  Still gonna keep the R1200GS and Thruxton to complete the tool box (along with the other bikes the rest of my family has and rides).

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here