Author Topic: V7III first ride of season CEL on.  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
V7III first ride of season CEL on.
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:52 PM »
Technically speaking it isn't a Check Engine Light but the MI Engine Alarm Warning Light that is illuminated.

1)  First ride of the season.  The bike sat for the past four months.  I added fuel stabilizer and placed it under a cover in the garage with a battery tender attached.

2)  The bike fired right up and I let it idle for about five minutes before riding off.  Ambient air temperature was about 60 degrees.

3)  I checked tire pressure before heading out but NONE OF THE FLUIDS.

4)  I didn't check fluids because the bike was put away with all of them at their correct levels. 

5)  The bike is basically new and only has 190 miles on it.

I did not see anything on the display about low oil as the manual suggests.

My selling dealer is 300 miles away.

Any ideas as to what may be the problem.  I'll let it go until tomorrow as far as checking fluids just to make sure and will also call the dealer.

NC

Edit:  I just did a lazy man's check of the oil level.  With the bike on it's side stand I removed the dip stick, inserted it WITHOUT screwing it in and the oil was comfortably over the high mark.  I can't see it being low at all if the bike was level but I didn't have the space to level the bike by myself so I left it at that for now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:48:36 PM by Numbercruncher »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7III first ride of season CEL on.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
I had a general alarm light on my 2017 V7III. I hooked the computer up to Guzzidiag and cleared the light. The light came once more, but after clearing it a second time, it has stayed off for 3k mi.

Rich A

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:55:52 PM »
Some of the earlier V7s very occasionally experienced the disappearance of the engine oil.

With the engine oil capacity only specified at 2 liters, then any loss may become important.

I've never had any issue with my V7-III Stone, but recommend you regularly check your engine oil level.

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:14 AM »
So I checked the oil yesterday and it is right where it needs to be.

Here is my new theory.

Because the bike sat for four months, oil completely drained from everywhere it is supposed to be.  As such when I first started the bike a sensor of some sort thought there was low/no oil so a fault code was thrown.  But after ten seconds of running oil got where it needed to be and the problem was resolved but the fault code was already thrown.  I'll call my dealer today but again they are 300 miles away so taking it to them in other than a dire situation is a major inconvenience.

NC

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:14 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 10:57:37 AM »
Edit:  I just did a lazy man's check of the oil level.  With the bike on it's side stand I removed the dip stick, inserted it WITHOUT screwing it in and the oil was comfortably over the high mark.  I can't see it being low at all if the bike was level but I didn't have the space to level the bike by myself so I left it at that for now.

One of the first things I did was checked the oil level and made sure that upright and screwed in the level was correct.

Then I rechecked the oil level on the sidestand, NOT threaded in, and marked that spot (maybe 10mm over the full line) using a file.

Now I can just check it on the sidestand from now on.

So I checked the oil yesterday and it is right where it needs to be.

Here is my new theory.

Because the bike sat for four months, oil completely drained from everywhere it is supposed to be.  As such when I first started the bike a sensor of some sort thought there was low/no oil so a fault code was thrown.  But after ten seconds of running oil got where it needed to be and the problem was resolved but the fault code was already thrown.  I'll call my dealer today but again they are 300 miles away so taking it to them in other than a dire situation is a major inconvenience.

NC

I would think it would be easier to download Guzzidiag and buy $25 worth of cables and check/clear the code than to ride 300 miles (is that one way, so 600 miles) to find out?

But I would want to KNOW and not guess.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 05:44:40 PM »
In the manual it talks about the "Alarm Oil Pressure" and "Alarm Oil Sensor" messages ... are you getting those?

As Kev pointed out, probably makes sense to order up cables and downloan guzzdiag.
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
Late response.  I'll order cables and the software.  I am quite comfortable with electronic matters.

NC

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Google links to buy the cable and download the software are all over the place.  Could someone provide an appropriate link?  I don't care to rewrite EFI maps, just to read fault codes and reset them.

NC
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:38:57 AM by Numbercruncher »

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »

Tried to install what I think is the correct version of Guzzi Diag for my Mac.  No joy.

NC

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
Could you disconnect the battery for 30 or so seconds to clear the code?
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
Odd news to report.  While on a fantastic ride on Sunday, the light decided to go out on it's own?????????  I"ll just ignore it until I get the bike to the dealer for it's first service.  Great day of riding in Washington State even though my wallet fell out of my jacket.  That proved to be a nightmare.  A few pics from that day.

From Spokane to Ione to Metaline Falls (filmed parts of The Postman here) to Boundary Project Dam (closed on Mother's Day) to Colvile and back to Spokane.

NC

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here