Author Topic: difficult double center stand spring  (Read 385 times)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
difficult double center stand spring
« on: April 13, 2024, 09:28:29 AM »
Wow!

Double extension springs on the center stand of a MZ Skorpion.

Probably the strongest extension springs I have ever worked with.  Even with one end clamped in a vise, bending the sring enough to insert some shim washers between the coils was not possible.

Time for the age old question:

What would Farmer Brown do?

Inserting seven 2mm thick shim washers on each side did the trick.  Oddly enough, on the bike, the springs are never stretched more than about 3/16" of an inch.  Much weaker springs & shorter springs may be the replacement if ever needed.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:30:59 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Re: difficult double center stand spring
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 10:51:36 AM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 02:43:43 PM »
Had to do the same thing when fitting the center stand on my V9. It had to have a crazy amount of washers inserted as it was the stiffest pair of springs I have ever encountered when it comes to stand springs, and they are always extended, regardless of the stand's position.

Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 09:32:48 PM »
Had to do the same thing when fitting the center stand on my V9. It had to have a crazy amount of washers inserted as it was the stiffest pair of springs I have ever encountered when it comes to stand springs, and they are always extended, regardless of the stand's position.

That is an amazing amount of washers needed to stretch that spring.  I should have used a load cell to measure the spring rate and preload.  I think by measuring wire diameter, coil diameter, and number of coils I can figure it out.

IIRC, I pulled out about 4 washers per side before the spring was close to it's minimal stretched length.  So the spring may have only been stretched about 6mm.  I'll have to go back and check.

The lesson to be learned is stick the washers in the spring before removing the spring.  A little bit more ankle would allow a much lighter spring to work.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 09:32:48 PM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 01:00:57 AM »
When I had to do this I got a piece of 1/2" copper tube and squashed the last inch or so such that it would still slide over the spring mounting pin
I then chopped it to length such that it would pivot up and down when installed on the pin - only about 4" long to clear the obstacles

To use, you put the tub on the pin with the end down towards the spring
Hook the spring over the squashed copper tube
Then use the leverage of the tube to lift the spring up, if you're lucky it will slide off the end straight onto the pin, but you might to have to give it a shove

PS I used copper because that's what I had available,  any squashable tube would work 👍
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 03:36:38 AM »
A good idea, and I have used the same principle myself with success many times. This pair of springs on the Hepco and Becker main stand, however - not a chance. The spring would not budge. The only way to get all them washers fitted was by bending the springs side to side, as I simply did not have the power to stretch them.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 09:59:23 AM »
When I had to do this I got a piece of 1/2" copper tube and squashed the last inch or so such that it would still slide over the spring mounting pin
I then chopped it to length such that it would pivot up and down when installed on the pin - only about 4" long to clear the obstacles

To use, you put the tub on the pin with the end down towards the spring
Hook the spring over the squashed copper tube
Then use the leverage of the tube to lift the spring up, if you're lucky it will slide off the end straight onto the pin, but you might to have to give it a shove

PS I used copper because that's what I had available,  any squashable tube would work 👍

Excellent idea.   :thumb:

I've done the same in the past.  This time, even with 2 feet of leverage, I could not extend the springs enough to fit them into place.  Anytime the springs are almost parallel to the center stand legs in the up position, a large amount of tension is needed to keep the center stand from flopping around.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 06:31:07 AM »
An old automotive brake spring tool was made for the job !

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 08:39:48 AM »
Attach the springs on each end before putting the pivot screws in.  Makes it a lot easier.

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 09:54:23 AM »
Attach the springs on each end before putting the pivot screws in.  Makes it a lot easier.
Aaargh!  Why didn't I ever think of that?  :grin:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here