Author Topic: Royal Enfield sales boom - NGC  (Read 16257 times)

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
Re: Royal Enfield sales boom - NGC
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »
The cafe racer freaks are doing neat things with these bikes.

http://thekneeslider.com/mcdeeb-royal-enfield-specials-six-days-thruxton-clubman-brand-new-classics-from-italy/

The link is a little old.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Online Stephen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Love the looks, but for the price, I'd buy a Honda CB300F or a CB500F.
Or a used Goose, of course.
Stephen
Carrollton Texas
Christian Motorcyclists Association
2021 V7 Anniversary
2003 Aluminum
1971 Ambassador

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Love the looks, but for the price, I'd buy a Honda CB300F or a CB500F.
Or a used Goose, of course.
The least expensive Royal Enfield model costs $4,999. The most expensive is the GT at $5,999.  Seems like a good deal for a machine that can deliver all the fun and experiences of a motorcycle on the back roads. The engine and flywheel are big enough that it provides plenty of power without any of the buzziness of some bikes.
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new one about 3 years ago, and he's had what I'd consider to be an unacceptable number of problems with it. It is a fun, and likable thing, but it has just had one problem after another, and lots of them point to terrible quality control and metallurgy. No thanks for me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »

redrider

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 04:52:32 AM »
'Wocky has a point. I have seen several in these parts and the metallurgy is horrid. The Asian stuff in the 60s comes to mind. (Even today, some of the cheapness remains still despite spit and polish.)

The engine design is derived from the attempt to keep taxes low. The Brits had a complex formula for computation. 

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
'Wocky has a point. I have seen several in these parts and the metallurgy is horrid. The Asian stuff in the 60s comes to mind. (Even today, some of the cheapness remains still despite spit and polish.)

The engine design is derived from the attempt to keep taxes low. The Brits had a complex formula for computation.  

You are right about the metallurgy being horrid. I saw one at the Toronto Motorcycle Show last year. It looked great from about 50 feet, from 5 feet not so much, really crappy looking cast metal. The seams had not even been ground off.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:33:53 AM by roofus »
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

danketchpel

Re: Re: Re: Royal Enfield sales boom - NGC
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »
It may be a new engine, but everyone that reviews that motor finds it to be sloppy. For the price of an Enfiled here in the US you can buy any number of better bikes brand new. Unless you MUST have the retro look, in which case the only thing that competes with it is either a bonneville or a V7, and I'd rather pay the extra money for a refined engine. Or buy an old POS for cheap and spend the difference on making it truly special.

If they were priced cheaper they'd sell the shit out of them over here too. In India the sell for just over $3k, I'd actually consider buying one if they were that cheap here, but as it is, the bikes just aren't worth the money they want for them in north america.

This is my feeling exactly.

I test rode a new Bullet 500 classic a couple years ago thinking to build what is now the Continental GT. I checked out the Connie GT at the bike show, it's pretty.

But my feeling after the demo ride was the bike is worth about $3,500 new. Build finish is crude and the ride experience is straight out of the late 50s early 60s. I'd be fun on tight back roads up to say 45 mph. After that the vibes set in big time.

In comparison on the ride home my KLR 650 felt like a rocket powered magic carpet ride. Anybody who's ridden a KLR knows how clunky and slow they are.

I bought my 2013 Husky TR650 new for less than a RE and it makes 50 hp and is incredibly smooth.

I dig the retro look of the REs, but the $6k they ask for them is just nuts. If they added a decent counter balancer and improved build finish by 2x the $6k price would be reasonable.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
Could be.   It's a big-arsed country.   I'd love to visit, but even my Indian friends inviting me over tell me that once we get on the bikes, and start buying food at roadside stalls, I'd be sick as 3 dogs for a week before my intestinal flora adjusted ...

Lannis

We were there for a fortnight some years back doing a back-packer tour of the more northern parts. Ate local; main thing is don't eat raw.  Loved the place! Didn't get sick.

Not many RE's on show at that time, but there was a locally made tiddler called something like a Bajaj. One of the prettiest little bikes I have ever seen. Seemed to go OK too.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 04:45:57 PM »
Are we sure those numbers are real?

I believe I read just a few years ago that RE was a smaller player in the Indian market.  Something less than 15%, granted it's a huge market, but that kind of growth seems really over the top.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 06:33:15 AM »
* Yes, India has 1.2B people and is a huge market. :o

* The quality of Royal Enfield's has improved dramatically over the years, as is the same with URAL's, but in terms of technology and reliability, they are both still no where near any modern motorcycle today from any of The Big Four from Japan. ;)

* The Continental GT is a fabulous looking bike.  However, for $6K, there are tons of other motorcycles available (again, mostly from the Big Four) that are a far better value with superb reliability, IMHO. 8)

* One of the members of our local riding group rides a modified RE 500 Bullet.  He likes it but it took him about 1.5 years to get all the bugs out and make it a reliable steed.  It's a cool bike and something different and it is good to see them on the road! ;-T 8)
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »
* Yes, India has 1.2B people and is a huge market. :o

* The quality of Royal Enfield's has improved dramatically over the years, as is the same with URAL's, but in terms of technology and reliability, they are both still no where near any modern motorcycle today from any of The Big Four from Japan. ;)

* The Continental GT is a fabulous looking bike.  However, for $6K, there are tons of other motorcycles available (again, mostly from the Big Four) that are a far better value with superb reliability, IMHO. 8)

* One of the members of our local riding group rides a modified RE 500 Bullet.  He likes it but it took him about 1.5 years to get all the bugs out and make it a reliable steed.  It's a cool bike and something different and it is good to see them on the road! ;-T 8)

I met a guy at Newcomb's on the Angeles Crest that had one he'd cafe'd. He said it was slow, troublesome, and the most fun he'd ever had on a bike.  ;D 
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
They must have something going for them.  I just arranged to rent one in the UK for a while (for the second time, so it's not as if I don't know what I'm in for!).

For the same money, I could have rented a BMW, V-Strom, Honda - you name it, but meh!  Too dull, too efficient - just conveyances for getting from one place to another.

The Enfields may have all the issues itemized above, but so what: they have charisma, and you can't manufacture that.

Nick

kidneb

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »

;-T

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »

[/quote]

I talked to that guy @ the Datil rally last August.  He said he put a taller front sprocket on it to get taller gearing and that yes, things vibrate off riding down the road.  But it sounded good.  ;D

Penderic

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »
Does it need OEM hi-tech oil?  ;)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
Somewhere in southern India, I'd expect a woman is wearing a sari made from a Kansas Flag...  And, what a perfect bike for the location.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here