Author Topic: KY to Ft. Collins ride in May; need route suggestions  (Read 5413 times)

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
KY to Ft. Collins ride in May; need route suggestions
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
My eldest daughter recently moved to Fort Collins, and I have already planned to take two trips out west this summer which will include stops in FC to spend time with her and her family. I have driven and ridden across the Great Plains countless times, and am always looking for new, interesting (but still relatively quick) ways to get across the expanse. Was looking at maps today and noticed US 34 though Iowa, Nebraska, and NE Colorado; I have never traveled on this road. Is this a good (interesting but reasonably fast) way across these states? Also: on US 34 are there good places, like state parks, for camping?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: KY to Ft. Collins ride in May; need route suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
Never taken 34 across, but I have taken 36 to the south, it's a good ride. The Poudre river area west of Ft. Collins is a REALLY nice area to ride.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »
Gj,

Rode to CO a few summers back mainly on route 36; I agree, nice MC road.  ;-T

Would like to try something new to me.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
If you take the 34 route you should meet up with Fubarguzzi in Ne. that guy is a friggin hoot!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »
I've ridden across the "Great Middle" a few times, trying to use a different route each time.  It's a two-day jaunt from here to FC, the first will end in the Kansas City area, the second will get you there.  

Highway 36 runs west out of Indy, across the top of Kansas and is somewhat scenic.  I rode the I-States to Hannibal, MO and picked up 36 from there headed West for that trip.  I've not travelled Highway 34 yet but it's probably like 36 with small towns every 20 miles and cafes and gas stations in each one.  Depending on your timing, you may run into some road construction delays.

I-70 will be the fastest, if that's your goal, but you will have to dodge the truck traffic.

I'll be going to FC in June this year.  I will begin this trip from Dubuque, IA (family friend there) and heading SW to pick up I-80.  I'll probably overnight in Kearney, NE and then FC the next night.  

I generally "motel it" when I'm on the road rather than find a camping venue.  It's a time saving decision.  However, in '13 I pre-reserved a KOA small cabin for one night since I had my camping/sleeping equipment with me.  That worked out fine and was lower cost than a motel in the same area.  I may take that approach again if the opportunity exists.    

Hope this helps.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
Just me but I'd sooner take a sharp stick to the eyeball as ride a bike across I-70 or I-80 it is however the fastest, but pretty much a bummer.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:38:19 AM »
Just me but I'd sooner take a sharp stick to the eyeball as ride a bike across I-70 or I-80.  It is however the fastest, but pretty much a bummer. 

I agree, but it's a time situation on the trip west this year.  After the FC gathering, I'm on my way to the MN Rally in Grand Marais.  That trip is all two-lanes.  Looking forward to it.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »
Getting across the middle of the US while maintaining your sanity....always a challenge.  One year I left WV and rode US60 to where it crosses the Mississippi, then to Springfield.  Soon thereafter we picked up US50 and took that all the way to Pueblo, CO.  From there it's a short hop north to Ft. Collins.  I thought the US60 part was pretty nice, lots of small towns but we still made good time.  On US50 it's more 60 mph 2 lane but still able to crank out the miles, or stop in lots of small towns to smell the roses.  Do some research.  You will find that there is a museum to the Japanese internment camp in Colorado (can't remember the town now), Dodge City is worth an hour or so, and you go very close to the geographic center of the lower 48.  Overall this was much more fun than blasting across I70.  We stayed in motels and found the small towns to offer clean lodging at an attractive price.  Ride into the old downtown and find a place within walking distance of a bar or restaurant.  For me, that's the high point of any trip.  We meet people and discover all the neat things that are hidden below the surface when you are on the Interstate.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
You've got lovely roads at both ends: the Ozarks on the east end and Colorado on the west.  I'd spend my riding time there.

Highway 7 north/south thru Arkansas is a treat.  But most of the roads in Northern Arkansas/Southern Missouri are nice.  Rocker can help you there.

Between The Ozarks and Colorado is Kansas.  Someone suggested Hwy 36 and I 2nd that.  If you end up around Kansas City you can catch 36 just north in St. Joe.  Much of it is the old Pony Express route.  Here's a pretty good website with the Kansas portion of the road:  www.ushwy36.com

Of course once you get to Colorado you've hit pay dirt.

Ride Safe!

M
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
St. Joe if chock full of history if you're in to that. Pony Express, The House where Jesse James bit the big one, and the Patee House Museum is great. If you roll out of the Ozarks,to the south, Take Rt. 400 across Kansas, That will take you by Bent's old fort, a buffalo hyde trading post, re-done but pretty cool. 400 takes you along the Arkansas river--Pronounced ar-KANSAS in those parts, formerly the US-Mexico border. Out there the cheeseburgers start having green chilis on 'em   YEA BABY!!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
Well... once you hit Colorado you hit DIRT . The good stuff is 100 miles or so farther West  :D

Dusty

Don't forget the cantalope farms. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
You cannot bank on crossing Tioga that time of year. I have been turned back by hail in late July. I have also froze my arse off riding in from the east because it is 80 miles to the valley, most of it over 7000' and shaded. My advice is go to Arches.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »
Oops, looks like I commented on wrong thread, sorry.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:31:32 PM »
Oops, looks like I commented on wrong thread, sorry.

Whew , I was beginning to doubt my knowledge re Colorado and Utah , thanks  ;D

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here