Author Topic: red Trumpet Italian lunch  (Read 7002 times)

lucydad

red Trumpet Italian lunch
« on: February 07, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
All,

Met up in Katy, TEXAS with my buddy Mitch.  Had Italian lunch and caught up on events, his daughter's wedding last weekend and such.
Sure is pretty in red:

She started on the first kick.  The little 650 sure has a roar.  Mitch complains that it just does not have the punch for Houston freeways.
Hence is why he is restoring the Triumph Trident in gold and white.  He said the TT has been a real pain:  in a lot worse shape than he thought.
But he is getting there one section at a time.

Windy out, I rode home and looped west to Willis and back home on 36.   Then a nap, then poodle walk, then bicycle ride on the Cannondale.
Now its time to go to a major Ft. Bend County fundraiser my wife has worked on for weeks. 

Need to get organized and do that motorcycle camping trip.  We have the rest of February, and then March and April before it gets too hot.

Bon weekend everyone!

lucydad

Re: red Trumpet Italian lunch
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
Woops right you are:  750.

Windy as hell today.  Early fog riding into church, poor visibility with condensation and sun angle.  Then going east on Westheimer an emergency vehicle.  Chaos cagers result, gets my red flag going with being rear ended, sideswiped as the citizens just don't know what to do.  Not the best ride today.

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
...before it gets too hot."  20 F here and a foot of snow on the way.  You're killin' me.

It looks like a single carb on the Bonny, is that right?  That would make it a Tiger head. 
The single carbs are better low and weaker on top.  Certainly easier to maintain.
Does your buddy know about re-timing the stock cams?  They retarded the cam timing compared to the 650's.  Free power.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
Just bought a 79 Triumph to quell my British thirst. Please tell me more about timing the cams..  :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
Just bought a 79 Triumph to quell my British thirst. Please tell me more about timing the cams..  :BEER:

Not so much a cam timing issue . The T140s ran short exhaust cam duration to fake out emission testing . A late 60s exhaust cam from a Bonnie or R model will wake the 750 up . While advancing the cam timing may help , it is still a short duration cam .

Dusty

lucydad

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
Dusty,

I will pass on thoughts to Mitch.  Last time we switched bikes he commented on how the V7R just wants to rev and it cruised at 80 with no issues.
No so much the Trumpet that shakes itself badly past around 55 mph.  Sure makes me appreciate modern electric starting and disk brakes too.
Cool bike, but not made for inner Houston combat riding.

Petrus:  yeah Houston heats up seriously starting in May.  Usually the Gulf of Mexico humid/HOT airmass wins sometime early May.  Then our beautiful spring is over and we roast in hell until mid-October.  Hence best camping season is between now and early May.  Bugs usually hatch out en masse also.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate.php?location=ustx0617

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
Greg , a decent T 140 should not shake too bad at 70 MPH or so , and should have more than enough power to deal with modern traffic . Have him check the motor mounts .

Dusty

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
Greg , a decent T 140 should not shake too bad at 70 MPH or so , and should have more than enough power to deal with modern traffic . Have him check the motor mounts .

Dusty

Mine vibrated so bad at 70 going from Chicago to Colorado that the fenders vibrated apart. At 100 it ejected parts. With luggage on, the frame broke behind the shocks. I do miss that bike. :)
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 06:35:14 PM »
Mine vibrated so bad at 70 going from Chicago to Colorado that the fenders vibrated apart. At 100 it ejected parts. With luggage on, the frame broke behind the shocks. I do miss that bike. :)

Damn ! Yeah , if they get a bit out of whack the vibes can be bad . Owned a couple of T 140s , and worked on a few others . Never had one do that  :o

Dusty

lucydad

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
Dusty,

I will mention to Mitch.  He is a very competent bike builder.  You never know though, something may be failing or he missed an issue.
This particular bike was a real basket case when he bought it.  I prefer his Norton Commando over this Triumph, by a large margin: smoother, and more power and more predictable overall. 

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
It looks like a single carb on the Bonny, is that right?  That would make it a Tiger head. 
The single carbs are better low and weaker on top.  Certainly easier to maintain.

I could be wrong, just thinking this is a two carb bike.
Bonnies had lost the "Delta" head by now.
As I said, I could be wrong... :BEER:  :bike

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
I could be wrong, just thinking this is a two carb bike.
Bonnies had lost the "Delta" head by now.
As I said, I could be wrong... :BEER:  :bike

You are correct SIR  ;-T

Dusty

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
Looks like a 79 based on the carbs.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »
Hey LD pack up your dandy new tent and come to Cedar Vale, we'll break you in on that campin' bizness ;-T
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »
Dave will ride won't he?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 10:24:01 PM »
Dunno , he usually brings the van . Gotta have a place for all of that Shiner and Lone Star  ;D (Just kidding Greg , Dave doesn't ever drink beer .... much ;D)

Dusty

Don't know why he would haul Lone Star when he can get the yankee version of the same thing---it's called PBR, and before any Texans get all bent outa shape, I heard Dale Watson say that myself on stage many times. :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here