Author Topic: need to replace '09 Norge headlamp bulb; any hints?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
need to replace '09 Norge headlamp bulb; any hints?
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
The left low beam has expired on my '09 Norge; will try to replace it this weekend. Can I do this without removing any bodywork? Does the black plastic dash panel have to come off?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: need to replace '09 Norge headlamp bulb; any hints?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
I had to replace (I thought) the right side bulb on my '13 Norge. You have to remove the black plastic panel just in side the faring on which ever side needs replacing. Once I got into it I discovered a loose connection and once reestablished all was good. When your in there you have to remove the black rubber cover to gain access to the bulb housing. It wasn't hard but took a bit of time. To remove the black plastic part you have to pry out the coupler piece. I think there are two, one fore and one aft. You'll need them to replace the black plastic part. If I can do this anyone can!
Sam
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Sam. I guess the first gen and second gen Norges have different dash panels: mine only has one large black plastic panel around the instruments; not one on each side. I guess I need to remove that fragile-looking sucker.

Will I be able to use an inexpensive bulb that I can buy at an auto parts store? Or, does it require some exotic, expensive part?

Jon

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Sam. I guess the first gen and second gen Norges have different dash panels: mine only has one large black plastic panel around the instruments; not one on each side. I guess I need to remove that fragile-looking sucker.

Will I be able to use an inexpensive bulb that I can buy at an auto parts store? Or, does it require some exotic, expensive part?

Jon

I shouldn't say since mine was an 07. It wasn't particularly fun, and doesn't look like anything I've seen at an auto parts store.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
Nothing that rare or obsolite.  H3-55watt bulbs for the low beams and H1-55watt for the high beams.  If one side is gone I would get two because the other is probably right behind. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:50 PM »
Waltr,

Thanks for the information; I bought two Sylvania H3 bulbs at the local auto parts store; seem to work fine (I did replace both sides). But man, what a pain-in-the-ass! Had to remove (well, not really completely) the dash panel, the windscreen, and the cover for that bizarre corkscrew device that must have been designed by Leonardo da Vinci. Had to work in some tight quarters. Is there an easier way?

Jon

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »
Now do it in 5min !! Welcome to my world Jon.  Getting the dash around the bars w/o scratching anything is a chore.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »
Steve,

Now that I've been through it, I could probably do it again in about 1/2 hour (no way could I get close to doing it in 5 minutes); if the bulbs only need replacement every 50 K miles, I might not get the opportunity to try it again. But who knows, maybe I'll keep riding the Norge past 100 K; the bike really has grown on me; has now become my all-time favorite bike.

Jon

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here