Author Topic: Vale Rod Yeomans.  (Read 10454 times)

Vasco DG

Vale Rod Yeomans.
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:33:39 AM »
'Morizi' I think his handle was here?

Just got word from Tony on the Ghetto he died this morning, apparently first indications are heart attack.

Great bloke.

Look after yer selves guys. We aren't getting any younger.

Pete

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Vale Rod Yeomans.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:37:46 AM »
Sorry to hear that, I haven't seen his handle in a while.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:59:22 AM »
Oh, crap. Great guy. Stayed with us a couple of days on his cross country U.S. trip. Ride on, Rod..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline RayS

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:12:10 AM »
Stayed with me too on his last European tour. A real friend and will be missed.

Ray
2008 Bellagio

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:12:10 AM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »
 :'(

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »
I hadn't spoken with Rod in a while, but sold him my beloved SP a few years back. He stayed with my wife and I for a couple days after I picked him up at the airport, and he left here on his US jaunt with my old SP, doing 17,000 miles in three months. (My avatar on here is actually the side of that machine).

Before going any further - I must say - bluntly - this news sucks. But - I know that he liked to travel and thankfully he was able to experience a lot of traveling, doing so on Moto Guzzis most of the time. I'm happy that Rod was able to fulfill those things and he leaves a legacy that you should experience life to the fullest as time can expire quickly.

He did a delightful blog during his trip, and sent me quite a few installments and personal e-mails along the way. I know he stayed with several folks on here around the US, and made a lot of friends.

He got hit by an 'older' gentleman in Yellowstone, and his first words to me were "Sorry about the paint job Mate". Fortunately - he was OK, and the bike rode on in a skinned state. When he got it back to Oz, he changed the fairing and re-painted it - silver and red.

Condolences to all who knew him. I'm truly saddened at this news but grateful our paths crossed.

RIP my friend.

Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »
 He had changed his handle to Yak Fat . We communicated extensively , this is sad .

Dusty

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »
He posted on ADV Rider as recently as Monday, sorry to hear of his passing.
Charlie

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
RIP, Rod.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Ride In Peace, Rod..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:35:10 AM »
RIP, Rod.

Never met him but he was a real and valuable contributor to this board.   Always objective, cool, calm and collected.   It's easy to believe that he was an all around good guy and a hard rider.

Too soon!!   Old guys, know your numbers.   Doc can tell you if you're getting ready to fall out, but (like Mark at MGC says) you "Gotta Call!"

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
Truly sorry to hear this

Never met him but on email exchanges he seemed a nice, nice man

Helped me with my gbx article.

Gutted about the news, feeling quite down right now

John

Vasco DG

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:28 PM »
I didn't know Rod well but he'd stayed with us a couple of times when he was passing through. Ex-RAN and like every sailor I've ever met he could be an angry, cantankerous, little, (And he was little! :D) bastard! We got along just fine :BEER:

I've got to go to another funeral today, a panel beater mate who got motor neurone disease which is a horrible way to go. I reckon a big *Event* is far more preferable, albeit tough on those left behind.

As far as I know Rod was single. I don't know if there were any kids from any previous or current relationship.

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »
Dorcia and I* think* we remember a daughter being mentioned.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
Great photo Chuck. Obviously hits home.
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 05:20:14 AM »
Stated on the Guzzista site that he had a long term partner Dell & his funeral would be next week.

That is the only info I have

John

Vasco DG

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »
If any further info can be gleaned I might fly up to pay my, and anybody else who cares, respects.

Pete

Scorpione

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
Rod was ex-Army Signals (not Navy), also Green Beret.

Where do I begin?
   I am so shocked and saddened to hear of Rod's untimely passing. He has been such a great help to me, unwavering in his support, despite all my failing efforts to get my Guzzi back on the road. He was always onto me, saying, "take a week off and throw the bloody thing onto a trailer and come up here and we will get it done". I finally agreed and had arranged to go up for a few days this coming week, but had to pull out at last moment due to work commitments.
   Rod always called a spade a bloody shovel. He was only a little bloke and could be blunt, he could be gruff, he could rub people the wrong way, but he was always honest and up front. He gave of his knowledge generously to me and others and was far more patient with me than any man should have been. He loved all of his Italian bikes, Guzzi, Morini and Laverda and knew each inside out.
   In past few years, he rode solo through much of Europe, did the USA too, and diarised it all beautifully for all of us to follow along. He spoke me of visiting the Menin Gate and how emotional he felt at seeing all those names of young men with no known grave.
   I for one will miss him incredibly and am not ashamed to admit to shedding some tears just now at hearing the sad news. It is hard to believe there will be more phone calls, no more emails, no more camp fire chats.
   To my mate Rod, rest in peace. You left us far too soon. Ride on.

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
 Scorpione , Rod  indicated to me that he was ex army also , and my long distance friendship with him mirrors your experience with him . We got off to a rocky start , he thought me entirely too silly , I probably thought him too serious . However , we had many truly interesting interactions , and he was very generous and patient explaining the workings of Del Orto carbs . I will always be grateful for having the chance to know him a bit , he gave me the room to be honest W/O passing judgement . Gonna spend some time reviewing our correspondence and all of the pics he shared , maybe allow a bit of sadness , and celebrate a life lived well . So long Rod , Morizzi , Yak Fat , a true motorcyclist .

Dusty

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
RIP Rod.  Rod helped me with my valve/spring changeout in the Lario years ago.  If you caught him settled in he was a patient chap.  He could get a little wily at times, but don't we all.  He did the SB world a favor with his write-up on the net.  I hope it stays out there for many moons. 
Would have enjoyed meeting him. 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 10:28:42 PM »
Well said all. He was the only motorcyclist I know who talked about ball room dancing with my wife. Charming guy at times. He even showed her a few steps, bet you all didn't know that about Rod and he MAY be embarrassed even now but he seemed pretty comfortable switching into dance mode.

Yes, I do remember him talking about Dell. Condolences to her, wish I could h Ave met her as well.
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 05:24:11 AM »
Bugger,
Sad news indeed.
I was hoping to catch up with Rod at the Ruptured Budgie rally in 3 weeks.
A very interesting bloke to have a yearn with over a few beers.
Havent seen him in about 4 years.
Yes he was a character.
 Yes he will be missed.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »

This is really sad news.

In 2009 I was riding Pete's Green Griso down the coast in Queensland and stopped for the night at the Woodford Hotel.  Rod was following my trip (I was using a Spot tracking device) and rode to Woodford early in the morning to catch me before I set out that day.  It was a surprise to hear a Guzzi outside my hotel window.  We had a cup of coffee, and Rod was able to fill me in on several of the good roads in the direction I was heading. In particular, the "Lions Road" isn't one that I would have found on my own.

YouTube video of Rod and his bike that morning:
https://youtu.be/UNVjsQe5oZk

Following one of Rod's recommended roads...

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
 Thanks Deke  ;-T

Dusty

JohnG.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
I too hadn't spoken to Rod for a while but had shared many an email,
He & his partner Dell through their house open to us, for a few days in March 2007,
on our way to  a new life in Central Queensland.
It was a 'funny' friendship, as I was now 'Guzzi less' & in a totally different walk of life,
but we still shared a fondness for the marque.
(sadly we returned in Nov. 2013, due to my wife's terminal auto immune disease)
Live life people, as you never know when it will be cut short.
RIP Rod.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:50:00 AM by JohnG. »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 09:10:47 AM »
The funeral service will be next Monday the 4th of May at 1pm at Gregson & Weight Funeral Directors, Caloundra, Qld, coffee & tea on site, & the wake at Dell & Rods place afterwards. The link to the Funeral Directors is below.
http://gregsonweight.com.au/
If anyone wants the house address, just email or call Tony Houlihan at tonyhoulihan@optusnet.com.au.
+61 407 600 610.

I'm in Melbourne at present, on the way back to Sydney after picking up (stealing) a V7 Special in Tassie, and hope to see those who can make it at the funeral.

Enjoy it while you're able,

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 12:38:37 AM »
This is terrible. Rod was helping me out greatly on advrider with my 1000SP revival.  Amazing source of information and often the voice of reason when I was at a cross roads or frustrated point in the project.  I was having carb trouble and he gave me his phone number and told me to call him anytime to talk about getting my carbs set up.  He did remind me of the 10 hour time difference between Alaska and Australia  ;-T  I never met the man but with help and dedication to my project I really feel like I made a friend.  I even had thoughts of figuring out how to go to Australia some day for a tour and to meet the biggest help in my Guzzi revival.

Everyone put some miles on their Guzzi this week in honor of Rod.

Offline 650TT

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 03:14:51 AM »
I just got home from attending Rod's funeral.
Very nice affair with many kind words spoken from Rod's family and friends.
I think I counted about 30 bikes parked at the crematorium. Mainly Guzzi's but also half a dozen Laverda's and a few other marque's.
Our thoughts are with Rod's partner Del as she comes to terms with her loss over the coming months.
Ride in Peace Rod

Bruce K
Bruce K
650 TT
650 Lario Custom
750 Lario Custom
74 SF2
81 Jota
86 SFC 1000
Scorch/Redax 1145

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 04:13:56 AM »
Just saw this, how very sad.

I didn't know Rod [unless we met at the Ragged Fringe some time, not sure,]but was always interested in what he had to say online, obviously a very talented mechanic and as has been said a great guy. Another voice of reason who will be missed.

RIP Rod.

Vasco DG

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 04:19:25 AM »
You had met him Dan. He was a regular at the RF.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here