Author Topic: psychology of acceleration...  (Read 3035 times)

lucydad

psychology of acceleration...
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:36:57 PM »
All,

Rode the 2012 V7R quite a few miles today, perfect weather.  The ride included highway 99 in Houston:  very smooth, and very fast, it is a tollway.
This road allows full bore acceleration in a safe environment.  The small block winds pretty fast up to my typical shift point of just over 6000 to 6500 RPM and we can get up to 80 to 90 pretty quickly.  Few cars match us and the bike tracks effortlessly:  fun.  Yet very little physical sense of acceleration, very smooth and gradual. 

Ok,  wind the clock back about 24 hours:  new Triumph STRX.  Basically I am learning my capabilities on the bike, it has had its first maintenance and odo is just shy of 1000 miles.  When I wind her up, I have to literally crouch, hold on, tuck my butt and really pay attention to throttle control.  The sensation is spectacular, and intense.  Here is approximately why I suppose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_motorcycles_by_acceleration

At some point the 675 Triple made the lists. 

My buddy Ed let me ride his Ducati 1099 once:  and once was enough.  It was a terror, and since he has traded for a Diavel.  Too much!

The psychology of acceleration is interesting.  I have been flying with a friend in a Citabria (sp) full aerobatic aircraft.  Wow what a hoot to dive and pull up and pull all those G's.  Never bothered me.  But a roller coaster:  damn I hate the things.  Ms. LD loves them.

The Triumph is a new experience for me.  But I remember my little Honda 175 with 20 HP gave a bit of that dV/dT, so did my Ninja EX 500.  The Guzzi:  smooth as silk, that is its style, at least my current mind/body no longer much notices the acceleration, but of course cornering and braking are different.

I wonder if a six speed in the new V7IIs will change the acceleration a bit?  Could be.  What is a Cali or a other Guzzi big block like to ride? 

My mind ponders these experiences.  Memories go back to snowmobile racing and my old Corvette. 

Off for an anniversary dinner with Ms. LD:  28 years.  Amazing. 

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
Re: psychology of acceleration...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »
Triumph STRX.  Basically I am learning my capabilities on the bike, it has had its first maintenance and odo is just shy of 1000 miles.  When I wind her up, I have to literally crouch, hold on, tuck my butt and really pay attention to throttle control.  The sensation is spectacular, and intense. 

The Guzzi:  smooth as silk, that is its style, at least my current mind/body no longer much notices the acceleration, but of course cornering and braking are different.

LD- congratulations on 28 years.  Quite a compliment to both the woman and the man. (but more-so to Mrs. Lucy Dad)

+1 on the triple.  The torque of a twin and the quick revving of a 4.  It's ferocious/frightening how it can hurl itself down the road.  Just out of break-in mileage this week, and had been warned there's something interesting that happens when it's moving through 10k rpm.  And they weren't kidding.  I probably don't need to do it again- but at least I know what's hiding in there. . .and it's dark & scary.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
Why I finally got parted ways (2nd time) with the Honda V65 Sabre. In 3rd, merging onto a freeway with the throttle wide open, things were controllable until 6 grand came along and then suddenly the road ahead simply had to be straight, no turns, no let me think about it, everything happened. The few times I was feeling up to holding on to 10k I knew that hooking 4th would have been something out of the twilight zone.

The difference between the first one and recent one is the difference between mid 20s and mid 50s.

I believe we're all lucky to be alive.

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »
Hey, whaddya know -- there's a Guzzi on the quarter-mile list. Griso 8V.
Don't see any smallblocks…  :BEER:
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »

lucydad

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
So what is it about the V7 small block that results in the low dv/dt?  Is it simply low horsepower to weight?  Or is it the fly wheel, or maybe the shaft?
What say you experts?  And the Griso, I have heard comments despite the weight, it has some real punch, same with the Cali.  I am telling you the Griso would have happened except for the weight and for my height, and the nasty long reach to the kickstand, and no ABS. Face it the Griso needs an update.

The STR I have had to 8000 rpm briefly.  Yes, something wicked is hiding between 8 and 12 grand red line.  And believe me, the bike wants to go there.
Slowly I will explore, and maybe never touch those limits. 

What blows my mind about the triple:  very, very high torque.  In sixth gear the bike can go from 40 mph to 80 without a shudder at all.  Amazing engine, truly and the fueling is perfecto.  Hence is why I waited several years to see the evolution.  Yamaha will get there, so will MV Augusta with their triples. 

Break-in on the triple:  nada from what I could tell.  Break in on V7R small block:  as Todd Haven predicted (bless you)--10,000 miles.  Seriously?  Yep.

Which bike to ride to church tomorrow?  Little goose got over 100 miles today, I say Trumpet.  Another 3 day weekend coming.  Wish the heat and humidity were not also coming. 

Interesting. 

Penderic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »
Soup up the V7 Racer, I say!

Simply drop in a Aero Guzzi 4 valve engine or bolt on a set of Lario heads on that Racer and fly!

;D

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:21:53 AM »
I will say I'm finding that surreal dimension where things go by quicker than you can take them in on the super Lario. It's not a pull but a push. Never came close on the old B750. Even my stock Lario doesn't have the go power to take me there.  It's got lightened internals and such so spins pretty quickly. Can't imagine the feeling on the triple or these other fast ones.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:30:05 AM »
So what is it about the V7 small block that results in the low dv/dt?  Is it simply low horsepower to weight?  Or is it the fly wheel, or maybe the shaft?

Well it has the same technology as the flathead Ford.  ~; They had a lot of torque, too. Just leave from a stop in first, short shift it into third, and motor off. They weren't all that fast, though.
That said, you've never heard me say, "That would be a really nice motorcycle if it only had a little less horsepower.."  ~;
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:28:45 AM »
Lucydad, I think  time and romance have clouded your memory, a Honda 175 with 20Hp???   Perhaps at the cranks seconds before it blew up, but real world, not so much. :)
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
Aside: the local Ducati dealer let me take a Diavel on a "24 hour test ride." It is a very smooth and easy to ride motorcycle, excellent seating position, etc.

But at one stoplight I decided to really crank the throttle when it turned green. I did, and went on a brief, terrifying Spirit Journey.

I like acceleration as we all do, but that was... disconcerting. Epecially when seated in an upright cruiser position.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here