Author Topic: New Cylinders  (Read 4818 times)

Shadyapex

New Cylinders
« on: May 02, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »
Well, I pulled the cylinders off my spiffed up T3 this afternoon preparatory to installing the big bore nikasils that Curtis sent me. The old bores look to be in good shape and since this bike has such an unknown history I'm wondering what the linings are. The odometer says about 69K but who knows if it's the original clock.
The bores are not at all shiny, no flaking, no cross hatch pattern, a little duller toward the bottom of the stroke than the top, no significant lip at the top of the bore. No magnetic attraction, but then again I can't get a magnet to like the new nikasils either. No attraction that I can notice in either case.
Love to hear any thoughts on identifying what these bores are although I suspect that they're the original chrome. The base gasket has clearly been in place for a long time as it's pretty baked on and the o-rings are a little crispy fried.
Been riding a fair amount and still love the bike. Can't wait to see how it pulls the high passes around here with a little extra displacement.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: New Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 10:25:30 PM »
Must be a weak magnet. Even my $1.49 harware store pencil magnet will stick to Nikasil.

If there's no hone marks and the magnet doesn't stick, they're chrome. Nikasil cylinders will have hone marks even at very high mileage. If they were iron liners the magnet would stick very well.
Charlie

Shadyapex

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:12:37 AM »
Well, my magnet may well be weak, it's probably 25 years old but sticks well to anything obviously ferrous. As there are no hone marks and no other reasonable signs of replacement I agree that the old cylinders are probably chrome. Anyway I'm psyched to replace them and not have to worry about flaking linings. And I'm psyched on the extra torque I'll get from the big bore kit as well. Now just have to finish scraping off the old base gaskets. Seems to be the biggest part of the job at this point.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »
Aerosol gasket remover will make short work of that job. Just don't get it on paint you don't want removed, too..  ;)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:27:49 AM »
Aerosol gasket remover will make short work of that job. Just don't get it on paint you don't want removed, too..  ;)

Aerosol gasket removers of old would remove the gasket. But the new environmentally friendly stuff has the same effect as soaking the gasket in water. Loctite (gasket chisel) is one of the only companies I could find that still make good gasket remover but its $30 a can and nobody carries it locally. If you read the MSDS the same active ingredient ( methylene chloride) in Loctite gasket chisel is the same as in aircraft paint stripper available at any auto parts store for a lot less. Get yourself a quart of the brush on gel type aircraft paint striper and a few flux brushes and in short order the gasket will be no more.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:33:36 AM »
Aerosol gasket removers of old would remove the gasket. But the new environmentally friendly stuff has the same effect as soaking the gasket in water. Loctite (gasket chisel) is one of the only companies I could find that still make good gasket remover but its $30 a can and nobody carries it locally. If you read the MSDS the same active ingredient ( methylene chloride) in Loctite gasket chisel is the same as in aircraft paint stripper available at any auto parts store for a lot less. Get yourself a quart of the brush on gel type aircraft paint striper and a few flux brushes and in short order the gasket will be no more.

My old can of gasket remover is <sigh> old, too. It's about empty, so I guess I'll use stripper. Thanks for saving me a few bux.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Shadyapex

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
Thanks guys, I had forgotten about the gasket removers. I'll try the paint stripper.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 11:29:41 AM »
Just curious, what kind of compression ratio will you have with the oversized jugs?  Thanks,
Nate

Shadyapex

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
Another question. I've got every manual I've been able to find and still can't find a ring end gap spec. for the nikasil big bore cylinders. Anyone know?

Shadyapex

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Another question. I've got every manual I've been able to find and still can't find a ring end gap spec. for the nikasil big bore cylinders. Anyone know?
Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know what the compression will be. Should probably give Curtis a call to find out.

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
     Be advised that the use of methylene chloride on aluminum can cause a phenomena called hydrogen embrittlement --- don't think it is a serious consideration though- just use sparingly and rinse thoroughly. The aircraft stuff is the one you want, not the wally world special.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »
The aircraft stuff is made for aluminum.   A quart lasts a long time.  Be careful none of the gel drips into the engine.  Use in a well vented area.  Keep away from mom at all costs!   :wife:

Shadyapex

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
Found the ring end gap spec. And the paint remover worked wonders!

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »
The aircraft stuff is made for aluminum.   A quart lasts a long time.  Be careful none of the gel drips into the engine.  Use in a well vented area.  Keep away from mom at all costs!   :wife:

It also works wonders on removing carbon deposits. Handy for cleaning up heads and piston domes.  Brush it on and watch the carbon turn to black ooze.
Found the ring end gap spec. And the paint remover worked wonders!

;-T 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 06:20:03 PM »
Cures Nerualgia, Lumbago, night sweats..  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Shadyapex

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
Cures Nerualgia, Lumbago, night sweats..  ;D
Is this magic cure-all the big bore kit or the paint stripper?

Shadyapex

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »
Vroom, vroom! Finished the cylinder replacement this afternoon and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. I think the exhaust note is a little throatier and it pulls nicely on the steep hills around here. Thanks, guys, for the paint stripper tip. It's been so long since I did any engine work that I had completely forgotten about gasket remover, long enough ago that the gasket remover I used to use actually worked. I also took the opportunity to attend to little details like cleaning the petcocks and replacing the fuel filters and rusted header flanges. Of note; there weren't any header gaskets installed. Didn't seem to leak but I was happy to put some in none the less.
Once again I find that this bike was pretty sloppily put together. I love the tank and seat and the paint job and everything seems in good shape, just looks like it was built in a hurry with whatever he had around.
I'll get it sorted out one thing at a time, front suspension and head bearings are next I think.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here