Author Topic: 2012 Norge leaky fork seal  (Read 1712 times)

Far star

2012 Norge leaky fork seal
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
I found this today on a general inspection.The bike has 16000 km on it. I can likely fix this myself, however the bike is still under warranty, although my dealer is 1480 miles south. I will be there in July. What does the collective wisdom of Wild Guzzi have to say. Fix this ASAP, or can I monitor and run the bike...or am I asking for a bigger problem. I suspect the seal would have to fail a lot more to lose enough oil to have some handling issues. Anyway, this is one of the real advantages of this site, getting advice before I do something, or not do something....regret table.

Offline BigBlock

• New Egg
Re: 2012 Norge leaky fork seal
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
Definitely try the Sealmate. ;-T  If not you could use some 35mm camera film. What you do is pry up the dust seal using a flat screwdriver.  Then slide the 35mm(or Sealmate) film under the fork seal between the seal and the fork tube. Slide the film around the entire seal while pulling it out slowly. The dirt that is causing your leak should start to come out, especially in the holes in the 35 mm film. Then pump the forks up and down.  You might need to do this a few times to get all or most of the dirt out. Clean out the dust seal and slide it back into position.

This should fix your leaky fork problem.  I've used both the Sealmate and the 35mm film and always had success.  Here's Sealmates video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nEzjdFQp6IM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:31:18 PM by BigBlock »
2012 GT 8V Norge
2001 V11 Sport
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
Put a little lube on the sealmate before inserting it.

Rich A

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »

Far star

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice, I'm ordering 2 of those Sealmates. I've never seen that trick before.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here