Author Topic: Shifter bolt gone rouge  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Zydon

• New Egg
Shifter bolt gone rouge
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
While out riding today on my 2013 Stelvio NTX I was at a stop sign. The bike was doing a curious thing. It was creeping slowly even with the clutch fully engaged. I was like wtf? So I starting to downshift thinking some was not engaged. It was...The bolt that holds the shifter onto the mount point broke and the shifter was left dangling? Anybody know of this happening on the Stelvio?

j
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:02:02 PM by Zydon »

canuguzzi

Re: Shifter bolt gone rouge
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
You. ;)

I've had a shift level come off a spline and ended up using a set of vise grips to shift but nothing on the MG so far.

Vasco DG

Re: Shifter bolt gone rouge
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:18:33 AM »
Two separate issues.

The failure of the clutch to engage will have one of thre probable causes, in order of likelihood.

1.) The plunger that depresses the piston in the master cylinder has come loose in the barrel in the lever and has wound itself out. Wind it in again and lock with the grub screw.

2.) The slave cylinder bolts have come loose allowing the slave to move rearwards and limiting lift on the thrust mechanism. Tighten bolts.

3.) There is air in the system. Unlikely unless the bike has been dropped. Bleed clutch.

The broken mounting bolt may be the result of stress imposed on it what the bike was dropped. If the clutch system has air in it it would seem to indicate it may of been dropped at some point. It may also simply of been bad luck, bit I'm skeptical.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here