Author Topic: V7 Speedometer/Odometer error...  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Eunos9494

• New Egg
V7 Speedometer/Odometer error...
« on: May 04, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
Just got back last week from an 1800 mile trip on my 2013 V7 Special.  Great trip (separate write-up coming later), but had a few mechanical issues on the trip.  I started the trip with about 5600 miles on my odometer.  Roughly 7-800 miles into the trip, somewhere in the mountains of WV, the speedometer maxed out to >140 and the tripodometer and odometer started cycling at 3-4 tenths of a mile per second.  In rapid order I was putting hundreds of miles on the bike while only travel a very short distance.  As suddenly as it came, it stopped though.  I thought it might be altitude or load since I was in the mountains and riding 7-10% grade roads, but the next day it started back up when I was down in the valleys.  It would sometimes even do it at a standstill.  Nothing like starting your bike, still be sitting in neutral, and watching the odometer turn over like mad.  Additionally, during part of the trip home, it would stop working completely.  I rode an entire tank of gas (250+ miles) and the odometer registered ~15 miles.  Yeah...not good.

So, I'm home, ~1800 miles later.  The odometer registers >9,000 miles at this point (At a minimum, an additional 1,500 miles that aren't legit).  I'm taking it to the dealer this weekend to have them address this since I think it's still under warranty, but I thought I'd check in with you guys and see if you've heard of this before and if anyone had any suggestions of a direction I could point the dealer in?  Not that I don't think they can fix it, but after some other issues with them lately I'm discovering I have to take a bit more of a "proactive" role with them.  Thanks all!

Offline Eunos9494

• New Egg
Re: V7 Speedometer/Odometer error...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
I did find this discussion on ADVrider.com that looks exactly the same, but the outcome wasn't really conclusive (or overly documented).  Plus, the user that posted it hasn't been active since 2013, so reaching out to them is probably a long shot.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835438&page=14

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »
Make sure you keep your fuel receipts so you have some documentation as to miles actually ridden. The last thing you want is a fix without getting the true mileage onto the odo or at least as close as you can get it.

Fuel receipts can be used to figure a close approximation of miles ridden so that you aren't left with half a solution to the problem.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
The warranty is based on when you took delivery, it's 24 months.  Miles don't figure in.  I'm sure you don't want any unearned miles on the odometer, but they won't affect the warranty.

Please post back when you get it sorted out, I'm interested.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »

LongRanger

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
That would wreak havoc with an ABS-equipped bike!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »
I'm thinking a loose connection to the speed sensor, perhaps a faulty sensor.
You said the speed indicated full scale at the same time.
It's measuring the frequency from the speed sensor.

Ask them to inspect the wiring between the Dash and the sensor including the 3 pin connector and ground connection at the connector.
Item (44) & (1)
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2008_V7_Classic.gif
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:55:36 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »
The warranty is based on when you took delivery, it's 24 months.  Miles don't figure in.  I'm sure you don't want any unearned miles on the odometer, but they won't affect the warranty.

Please post back when you get it sorted out, I'm interested.

Miles figure in when it comes time to sell it. Some don't care but a lot do, right or wrong.

It also matters when it comes time for service. It also matters because without accurate mileage readings, how can you tell if the bike is guzzling gas and thus indicating a problem or if it needs that oil change or not?

Then, in some states you are required to state the correct mileage on the bike when it is sold (if ever). Telling the prospective buyer that you don't really know how many miles it has makes the seller look like they either don't care or they are scamming.

It affects the value of the bike. A lot of people will not buy a bike that the seller can't accurately represent. :beat_horse

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »
I agree with Norge Pilot, the dealer should reset the odo to some mutually agreed number or if they don't have the capability of doing that supply a new dash set to the approximate figure.

I will also be following this thread to see how it's resolved.

p
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Eunos9494

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:28:14 PM »
Thanks, gang.  I figure the faster I can get the bike in, the more credible it will be that I didn't just put >4,000 miles on the bike.  Giving them a call tomorrow.  Luckily I took the bike in the day before I left on the trip for a new rear tire (which they used an old tube on *and* installed it with a fold in it causing a flat...grrr).  They've got a record the day before I left on the trip with the exact mileage.  I even stopped by Scoot Richmond and one of the service guys took a photo of the odometer during the trip, so I'm hoping that will help.

I'll keep you posted as I know more.  Thanks, all.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
Thanks, gang.  I figure the faster I can get the bike in, the more credible it will be that I didn't just put >4,000 miles on the bike.  Giving them a call tomorrow.  Luckily I took the bike in the day before I left on the trip for a new rear tire (which they used an old tube on *and* installed it with a fold in it causing a flat...grrr).  They've got a record the day before I left on the trip with the exact mileage.  I even stopped by Scoot Richmond and one of the service guys took a photo of the odometer during the trip, so I'm hoping that will help.

I'll keep you posted as I know more.  Thanks, all.
If their work is as shoddy as you describe it, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't keep records.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
That would wreak havoc with an ABS-equipped bike!
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on where the problem is.  If it's in the instrument cluster/speedometer/odometer, probably not, as the ABS system gets its data directly from the sensors at the wheels (at least that's what the wiring diagram for the V7II series indicates).

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here