Author Topic: For you computer/IT types.  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
For you computer/IT types.
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »
I'm posting this from work.  My home laptop won't turn on when I push the on/off button.  It's an ASUS laptop.  I've been using my tablet to read and post on the forum in lieu of my laptop working.  Any suggestions?  I have been considering buying another laptop.  :embarrassed:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: For you computer/IT types.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »
I'm posting this from work.  My home laptop won't turn on when I push the on/off button.  It's an ASUS laptop.  I've been using my tablet to read and post on the forum in lieu of my laptop working.  Any suggestions?  I have been considering buying another laptop.  :embarrassed:

Check the external power supply first if it has one, it should have the output voltage on a label somewhere, normally around 16 to 18 volts.

If its not that then you may be stuffed, a repair shop could be the next port of call.

Don't throw / give away your old laptop though, the internal hard disk drive can be removed and put in an external USB case. Plug this into your new one to access any files you need off the old drive, then format it and use it for backups / storage if it's a decent capacity.

Kev

twowings

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
It's entirely possible that your battery is so discharged that it won't provide enough power...this might indicate that your power supply has not been charging the battery...if you are comfortable with a VOM that can measure DC voltage you can test the power supply to see if it is outputting its rated DC voltage...if not, you may have found the problem...if that checks out, then your battery has probably reached the maximum charge/discharge cycle count and needs replacing...the third possibility (remote but not impossible) is that the power supply input port is damaged...this can happen if the laptop falls off the desk and the impact is concentrated on the power supply cord/port...a good repair shop should be able to pinpoint the problem if you are not comfortable with repair/replacement of the components...HTH

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »
First, make sure to disconnect all the cables and drivers connected to the laptop. - Start by doing a hard reboot, unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
Before you panic.

Are any indicator lights on the laptop when you plug in the external power?  If not, you maybe just need a power cable or brick.

Do any of the indicator lights flicker when you press the ON button?

I have an ASUS netbook.  It recently wouldn't turn on (or so I thought).  I was about to toss it when I decided to poke around.  Turns out that somehow the display had reset itself to ZERO output intensity. Thus, a constantly black screen.  I went to the function keys and tapped for increasing display intensity and gradually it came up to normal.  So, it was actually booting but not showing anything on display.

Do you have an old computer monitor that you can plug to the display output port?

What is the model number or model name of your laptop?  Maybe we can research a common recurrent problem.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »
If ASUS is consistent with their function keys:

Press the On/Off button to start the booting.
Hold the blue <Fn> key
Tap the <F4> key repeatedly to see if you can light up the display.

Possible your model might be different.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:54:04 AM »
Oh yeh - try removing the battery and leave it out for ten minutes or so without any other power plugged in.
Sometimes this is enough to reset a fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:21:50 AM »
Remove the battery and try turning it on with the power cord plugged in. Might be a defective battery. 
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
Any signs of life at all?  Any lights come on when you plug it in?

Is the power cord in good condition?

Is the socket on the side of the computer where it plugs in 'tight'?  The actual socket breaks off the motherboard when they take a hit.

Can you feel the power button 'work' when you push it?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »
ding......ding..... Ding!!!  Winner, Winner....Chicken dinner!!!  Si Signore Hayes.  The display had reset to off.  Looks like the salami, bread and Chianti is on me at the next NV state rally.   :thumb: 

Thanks for the input guys!  Did all the suggested checks.  Had power after doing a check on the power on lights.  Did the reset on the display, up and running now. 

No access to the battery.  There are 2 lights that show are on when you're on battery and one for charging with the cord plugged in.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

twowings

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »
Glad to hear it! Just like with bikes or cars, 99% of the time it boils down to something simple... :bike-037:

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »
Good work ! Keep pressing them buttons till something works :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here