Author Topic: NGC Jeep Wrangler opinions?  (Read 2231 times)

bobrebos

NGC Jeep Wrangler opinions?
« on: December 09, 2021, 03:39:20 AM »
I’m looking at Jeep wranglers again!  The two doors not the four door models.  Looking for a nice one with the 4.0 motor in a manual tranny.  Anybody have any good experience or knowledge of what years to stay away from etc etc?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:06:25 AM by bobrebos »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC Jeep Wrangler opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 05:00:03 AM »
Have you driven one? Most got traded in within the first year of ownership because they wanted the jeep...till they owned one. They are NOT a car..  Assuming you have driven one, and know that, the older you go the more chance that the frame is rotted away. The TJ [97-06 ] is my favorite, is a real solid time proven little truck.
Paul B

bobrebos

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 05:57:32 AM »
Have you driven one? Most got traded in within the first year of ownership because they wanted the jeep...till they owned one. They are NOT a car..  Assuming you have driven one, and know that, the older you go the more chance that the frame is rotted away. The TJ [97-06 ] is my favorite, is a real solid time proven little truck.

Yes I have driven one.  In my younger days I owned a cj-7 and simply loved it! 

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 06:24:46 AM »
My brother just bought a nice 1999 model as you describe with just 20k miles on it. It's in really nice condition but it does drive like a 20 year old truck.

We were concerned about frame rot but had a couple of people look at it ahead of time and it's in good shape. I watched a few YouTube videos and the rotting frame seems to be the biggest thing to watch out for.

I was surprised at the prices Jeeps command.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 06:24:46 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 06:54:00 AM »
Not sure for what opinion you are looking?

I believe 4.0 means you're looking for a TJ (round headlights, coil springs) and not a JKU.

The 4.0 I had in my 98 XJ was a very stout motor. I know it has a fantastic reputation for longevity. The chassis a little less so, especially (as mentioned) corrosion. So finding a clean frame and body vehicle will be the challenge.

I'm a JKU owner these days and love it.

Honestly the JKU reminds me a lot of the XJ in basic feel.

As a now four time Jeep owner I love them, despite (or maybe because) of their relatively simple/primitive/basic nature.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 06:57:01 AM »
Bob, '05 and '06 are the only 4.0 manuals with a 6 Speed.  I would focus there first. 

I have wanted a soft top jeep ever since I first rode in one back in the early 80s.  Neighbor had a CJ5 and we would cruise the beach and explore the sand pits in it.

I have made several attempts over the years to buy one.  1993, 2006, 2012, 2016, and 2019.  I could never find one in the right condition that could be bought for what my research said it was worth. 

As a motorcyclist, I appreciate precision driving vehicles and Jeep Wranglers are not precision driving vehicles. 

My recommendation if you really want to buy a Jeep is to go into it with emotion over logic.  The last one I drove needed front end work and when I came back and told the salesman he was like, "Someone will come along that doesn't realize that and we will sell it for what we are asking." 

Good luck with the search. 

In hindsight I wish I would have bought the brand new 2006 Wrangler SE 4 banger 6 speed manual with AC that had a nice rebate against it.  10 years later a low mileage one showed up and they were selling it for $3000 less than what I could have bought it for new.  It was just more than I had ever spent on a car so I didn't go for it. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

bobrebos

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 07:00:15 AM »

I believe 4.0 means you're looking for a TJ (round headlights, coil springs) and not a JKU.

The 4.0 I had in my 98 XJ was a very stout motor. I know it has a fantastic reputation for longevity. The chassis a little less so, especially (as mentioned) corrosion. So finding a clean frame and body vehicle will be the challenge.

As a now four time Jeep owner I love them, despite (or maybe because) of their relatively simple/primitive/basic nature.

Thank You for your opinion!  I’m now looking at a 2005 with the in-line 6 4.0 motor.  But it has 169,000 miles on it!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 07:04:51 AM »
Thank You for your opinion!  I’m now looking at a 2005 with the in-line 6 4.0 motor.  But it has 169,000 miles on it!

I wouldn't be too worried about the miles on the 4.0, they are generally regarded as 300k motors (assuming it was not completely abused).

Good luck!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 07:12:01 AM »

Mileage is not that big a factor if it has been maintained properly.  Maintenance records go a long way to help sell a vehicle with mileage.  I would be more concerned with the number of owners and the lack of maintenance records than the mileage.  Without the records my offer would be based on what items am I likely going to need to replace soon which contributes to me not being able to purchase one. 

If this is going to be a toy and you either are going to wrench on it yourself, or already have a trusted mechanic, and the price is right, you will never spend the amount it cost to buy a new one. 

You were saying in another thread that you need a truck.  Why not buy a new Gladiator and combine both want and need. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

bobrebos

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 07:22:24 AM »
Mileage is not that big a factor if it has been maintained properly.  Maintenance records go a long way to help sell a vehicle with mileage.  I would be more concerned with the number of owners and the lack of maintenance records than the mileage.  Without the records my offer would be based on what items am I likely going to need to replace soon which contributes to me not being able to purchase one. 

If this is going to be a toy and you either are going to wrench on it yourself, or already have a trusted mechanic, and the price is right, you will never spend the amount it cost to buy a new one. 

You were saying in another thread that you need a truck.  Why not buy a new Gladiator and combine both want and need.

I’m having the rear end in my 2014 Ram replaced and will be keeping the truck.  The Jeep will be my backup toy! 

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 07:24:47 AM »
 I had many high mileage bought used XJ Cherokees...Startin g around late 99 the head casting on the 4.0 was redesigned...And would easily crack if the engine got hot...So use caution when looking at later 4.0's
 Wranglers are a personal choice, some love them, some hate them
 My Jeeps about 10 years ago....The are somewhere else now

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 07:26:03 AM »
Hi Bob,                                                12-9-21  (another palindrome date)

I've had two wranglers...1994 and 2013.  World of difference!  Jeep 1994 was a bouncing Betty...leaf springs, solid axles, swayed in high wind.  The 2013 (Sahara model, 5 spd auto trans) had modified solid axles and front coils.  Much better ride on the road.  Ours had a removeable hard top with removeable roof panels...very nice.  As stated before, poor fuel mileage and a ride more like a truck than a car. 
2013 pros  :grin::  high seating position...good view of the road, comfortable seats (Sahara), easy parking...short wheelbase, rugged as hell and no rust, plenty of farkels (sp?) available, can tow a heavy boat...no problem, holds its value.
Cons  :sad::  crappy fuel mileage, not a lot of convenience features (I installed an after-market rear camera.)  Not a lot of room inside, but it will support 4 passengers and some luggage in the back.  Inconvenient entry/exit for rear passengers.  Since it holds its value, it can be expensive.

Good luck with your search.

Be well, stay well,
DougG

P.S.  It was a complete hoot to drive!

A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »

Maybe there is something to be said about the durability/longevity/reliabilty of design of in-line six cyl engines??!!

...and periodic maintenance. 

I've had many different kinds of vehicles with high mileage.  Never engine internal issues.  Always other costs like starters, fuel pumps, water pumps, intake manifolds, radiators, AC compressors,  carburetors, sensors, etc. that finally become a pain in the arse and since none of those vehicles were heirloom vehicles they got sold off around the 200,000 mile mark. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 07:33:48 AM »

Good to hear confirmation from someone whose opinion I respect.

We bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport for my wife brand new with the 4.0 engine and automatic.  About to turn 200,000 miles.  Lots of them are available with 200,000+, 300,000+, and a friend has one with over 400,000 miles.

My wife loves it.  Lots of people have asked to buy it.  She to drive it forever.

With the 4.0 engine, it is a rocket with tractor like torque right from idle!  A friend who is a lifelong mechanic says the 4.0 engine models have a Toyota transmission which is bullet proof.  Additional benefit is (according to my buddy) the split seal at the back of the engine leaks oil from day one, so the body is continually getting rustproofed with engine oil.

Back when it was new, I compared the under hood components to a friend's 1988 Cherokee.  Almost everything looked the same.  Other than replacing front brake rotors early on, and an intake/exhaust manifold gasket, electric door lock switch, no problems in 200K miles.  I would buy a used one  with 100,000-250,000 miles in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:07:16 PM by Ncdan »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 07:49:46 AM »

We bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport (Elizabeth Warren model, it's white!) for my wife brand new with the 4.0 engine and automatic.  About to turn 200,000 miles.  Lots of them are available with 200,000+, 300,000+, and a friend has one with over 400,000 miles.

My wife loves it.  Lots of people have asked to buy it.  She to drive it forever.

With the 4.0 engine, it is a rocket with tractor like torque right from idle!  A friend who is a lifelong mechanic says the 4.0 engine models have a Toyota transmission which is bullet proof.  Additional benefit is (according to my buddy) the split seal at the back of the engine leaks oil from day one, so the body is continually getting rustproofed with engine oil.

Back when it was new, I compared the under hood components to a friend's 1988 Cherokee.  Almost everything looked the same.  Other than replacing front brake rotors early on, and an intake/exhaust manifold gasket, electric door lock switch, no problems in 200K miles.  I would buy a used one  with 100,000-250,000 miles in a heartbeat.

Mine was a 98 XJ Classic.

I can't say it was trouble free (other than the motor).

Let's see, in 5-6 years of ownership I remember replacing:

* Leaf springs in the back cause it was sagging under the weight of our small boat (that I also towed with a Subaru without problems)
* Shocks all around well before 100k
* Brake pads and rotors every single year (till AutoZone or Advance, I forget which, told me to stop coming back for free "lifetime warranty" brake pads)
* Rear brake shoes just the once at ~80k
* AC compressor (went kaput)
* Hood release cable (snapped)
* Removed dash to reinstall the connector for the instrument cluster (went intermittently dead until I did that)

But mine probably had a tough life.

Drivetrain just kept chugging with minimal attention.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »
The 5 speed AX15 manual used in 90's Jeeps was not Toyota transmission, it's an Aisin Warner used by several manufacturers. It was replaced by the NV3500 in 2000...

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »
The 5 speed AX15 manual used in 90's Jeeps was not Toyota transmission, it's an Aisin Warner used by several manufacturers. It was replaced by the NV3500 in 2000...

I did not mention it, but I was talking about a 3 speed automatic transmission.  I'm assuming my mechanic buddy is correct, but I really don't know. 
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
Mine was a 98 XJ Classic.

I can't say it was trouble free (other than the motor).

Let's see, in 5-6 years of ownership I remember replacing:

* Leaf springs in the back cause it was sagging under the weight of our small boat (that I also towed with a Subaru without problems)
* Shocks all around well before 100k
* Brake pads and rotors every single year (till AutoZone or Advance, I forget which, told me to stop coming back for free "lifetime warranty" brake pads)
* Rear brake shoes just the once at ~80k
* AC compressor (went kaput)
* Hood release cable (snapped)
* Removed dash to reinstall the connector for the instrument cluster (went intermittently dead until I did that)

But mine probably had a tough life.

Drivetrain just kept chugging with minimal attention.

Wow!  That's a lot of problems.  Not the typical story from an XJ owner.  The OEM front brake rotors on my wife's XJ were shot at 30,000 miles, after that, no problems.

Typically, I have not been a big fan of Jeeps, but my wife's vehicle has been excellent.  Maybe it is an unusual example.  It is the only one I have ever owned or co-owned.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »
I bought a new wrangle sport in 2015, due to being unable to find a 4.0 that did not have 100K+ miles.
Yes the 4.0 is a workhorse motor as well as a gas guzzler, so bring your wallet along👍

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
I bought a one year old 2011 and passed it on to one of my sons five years ago. It was bought as a winter ride for my wife so she could park her little convertible for the winter. It is a Sahara model, two door, never been off road and looked after. It’s got the bigger V6 and a manual transmission. It’s a gas guzzler for sure, plenty of wind noise even with the hard top, rough ride as to be expected. My wife loved driving it in town, great visibility and easy to park. It’s dependable, routine maintenance. I had a CJ7 way back in 1980, biggest POS I have ever owned, fell apart just standing still. Jeep has come a long way but I still don’t particularly care for them, too harsh and crude for me. For a 4X4 winter hack my 2010 Ford Ranger 4x4 is a much better vehicle.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 10:17:27 AM »
Wow!  That's a lot of problems.  Not the typical story from an XJ owner.  The OEM front brake rotors on my wife's XJ were shot at 30,000 miles, after that, no problems.

Typically, I have not been a big fan of Jeeps, but my wife's vehicle has been excellent.  Maybe it is an unusual example.  It is the only one I have ever owned or co-owned.

It's entirely possible I WAS THE PROBLEM here. It did NOT lead a gentle life.

And I was much uhhhh poorer then, and did not spend money on brake parts un-necessarily (i.e. whatever the big box stores sold cheap).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »
 Wanted a more reliable civilized version so I am picking up my new 4door  Blue Bronco up in a week.  FORD was nice enough to email me a picture of it as it rolled off the assembly line along with the window sticker!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 10:45:08 AM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
Personally I have owned 2 TJ's  first one had the 4 cylinder engine, and the second one was top shelf Sahara edition with the HO 4.0L.

I daily drove both of them, and i also took them playing.
I can tell you that the 4 cylinder TJ was much better off-road than the 6 banger. (due to lower transfer case ratio) but it sucked on the highway...  Bad..

Once i sold my last one, I have never looked back.

In my opinion they are too much money for what you get, the are crap on the road, and many things best them off-road.
I will even go so far as to say, my series 1 Liberty was as good off-road as either TJ, while still livable on road.

I get wanting one...  I did... But the "Want" died quicker than any other auto / toy than i ever had...
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
I just bought a 2017 Jeep Wrangler a few weeks ago, So far so good, prob more than you want to spend but not a bad drive, I avg 20-22mpg and as you know, fun to drive.One thing I will suggest if you find a lower mileage one is to buy the mopar "bumper to bumper" type warranty. Knowing Jeeps arent as relaible as moto guzzis...lol   Its nice peace of mind.. As always, there are good jeep wrangler forms much like this one for advice, tech, etc.

Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »
I've had a '90 YJ (last year with the old roll bar and first year with the 4.0) and currently have an '09 JK.  Those are world's apart technology wise but not really that different in practical terms.  Since I just went through the buying experience here's what I learned.

• There are plenty of trashed out Jeeps from all years in marketplace.  If a thrasher is all you are looking for then other than overpaying you'll have no problem.
  • There are very few nice YJs left and they will bring the same price as the TJs when you find them.  I'd therefore skip to the TJs.
  • There are nice TJ's out there but you are going to pay for one.  If looking at a TJ pay close attention to the manual transmission.  It can be a pain to get into reverse through '04, and they had problems with the 6 speed NSG370 in the '05-'06.  Pick your poison year wise but  you need to pay attention to the tranny.  A nice TJ runs around $18k to $22k here in Texas.
  • If you move on the JK then skip '07 and '08.  Those were the worst years from all of the consumer complaints.  My '09 has a few gremlins but hasn't let me down.  A  2 door, soft top JK '09-'11 are the budget buys of the Jeep world.  It's why I have one!
  • Any above '11 when they changed the interior, and any JL (2018 and above) will be ridiculously priced or completely trashed.
  • If the Jeep has lifted then look real close how it was done.  Remember that the 2 door averages about an extra 1" of lift over the 4 door for the same kit.  Mine had been lifted with a 2.5" spacer and that puts the lift at almost 4".  As a result I've already replaced many parts in the front end including the drive shaft.  If I were looking for a 2 door TJ or JK I'd want to see no more than a 2" lift under there without seeing upgrades to the steering, tie rods, and drive shaft.  I've spent about $5k on suspension upgrades so far.
[/li]
[/list]

Scared yet?  :evil:  I'm not. A Wrangler is not to be considered transportation but instead a hobby, and it's one of the few hobbies that you can spend a ton of money on and get it all back when go to sell.  It's crazy how they are still valued despite all of the flaws.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »
Technically not a Toyota transmission but Toyota is the major owner of Aisin. A lot of manufacturers use them, excellent transmissions.  I have one in my 3500 Ram. An additional cost option but well worth it for the money for an extra heavy duty trans, comparable to an Allison.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »
Most got traded in within the first year of ownership because they wanted the jeep...till they owned one. 

I'd love to see your data on that claim.  Somehow I doubt most Jeeps are traded within the first year.  In fact, used Jeeps are hard to come by, where I live, and those which are available command very high prices.

Out here where I live, Jeeps are extremely popular and the people that own them are diehard fanatics.  Even the college girls and soccer moms...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:34:13 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 01:06:46 PM »
Wanted a more reliable civilized version so I am picking up my new 4door  Blue Bronco up in a week.  FORD was nice enough to email me a picture of it as it rolled off the assembly line along with the window sticker!

AWESOME - can't wait to hear about it. Please do share.

I'll ignore the unfounded cheap shot about reliability, but that's a pretty blue. Bet it's gonna be great (I'm assuming they've fixed the roof issues).

I have a thing for Blue 4x4s.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MadMike

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2021, 01:25:06 PM »
Don't be afraid of the 4.2 liter YJs if you can find a good deal. Not many know how to tune a carburetor these days so immediately these Jeeps get a bad rap. You can bypass the control module and be left with a 12 volts to the distributor and the electronic choke with not much else in terms of engine electronics. Several aftermarket carbs fill the void if the Carter carburetor is on the fritz. My first Jeep was a 1988 YJ Sahara - bought it with 40k miles and sold it with 260k thinking I was becoming an adult with wife, kids and all that responsible stuff. Regretted selling it so I have a 2006 TJ but that didn't fill the void so I found a rust free 1990 YJ Sahara with an AX15 Tranny. The 1989's and back had Peugeot transmissions, easily identified by the split case. Supposedly they are junk but my '88 YJ tranny was still going strong. Super sloppy though- you could stare at the thing and it would accidently slip into neutral. Jeeps are a virus- some people have immunity and once they are exposed simply walk away. Others have their minds re-wired leading to multiple purchases and self delusions. Once you start saying words like: practical, investment, decent mpg's, ok ride, good idea.... you're too far gone.     
2013 MG Stelvio NTX, 1975 MG Eldorado,
1991 BMW R100GS/PD, 1976 BMW R75/6,
2004 HD Roadglide

bobrebos

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2021, 01:36:47 PM »
    I've had a '90 YJ (last year with the old roll bar and first year with the 4.0) and currently have an '09 JK.  Those are world's apart technology wise but not really that different in practical terms.  Since I just went through the buying experience here's what I learned.

• There are plenty of trashed out Jeeps from all years in marketplace.  If a thrasher is all you are looking for then other than overpaying you'll have no problem.
    • There are very few nice YJs left and they will bring the same price as the TJs when you find them.  I'd therefore skip to the TJs.
    • There are nice TJ's out there but you are going to pay for one.  If looking at a TJ pay close attention to the manual transmission.  It can be a pain to get into reverse through '04, and they had problems with the 6 speed NSG370 in the '05-'06.  Pick your poison year wise but  you need to pay attention to the tranny.  A nice TJ runs around $18k to $22k here in Texas.
    • If you move on the JK then skip '07 and '08.  Those were the worst years from all of the consumer complaints.  My '09 has a few gremlins but hasn't let me down.  A  2 door, soft top JK '09-'11 are the budget buys of the Jeep world.  It's why I have one!
    • Any above '11 when they changed the interior, and any JL (2018 and above) will be ridiculously priced or completely trashed.
    • If the Jeep has lifted then look real close how it was done.  Remember that the 2 door averages about an extra 1" of lift over the 4 door for the same kit.  Mine had been lifted with a 2.5" spacer and that puts the lift at almost 4".  As a result I've already replaced many parts in the front end including the drive shaft.  If I were looking for a 2 door TJ or JK I'd want to see no more than a 2" lift under there without seeing upgrades to the steering, tie rods, and drive shaft.  I've spent about $5k on suspension upgrades so far.
    [/li]
    [/list]

Scared yet?  :evil:  I'm not. A Wrangler is not to be considered transportation but instead a hobby, and it's one of the few hobbies that you can spend a ton of money on and get it all back when go to sell.  It's crazy how they are still valued despite all of the flaws.

Thanks for all the information!  I had an old CJ-7 when I was young and am now looking at a 2005 Wrangler automatic transmission, 4.0 motor.  Going to go lay underneath it and look after Christmas if it’s still available as I have to travel soon for the holidays.  Thanks again

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
    Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
    http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
    Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
    Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
    Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
    Advertise Here