Author Topic: leaving the fold  (Read 8213 times)

Offline geezerboy

• New Egg
leaving the fold
« on: May 16, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
 Put a deposit on  a new FJR1300 ES today. Planning a cross country trip with the bride and just didn't feel cozy about my 07 Norge making it without incident . Have 42,000 miles on the Norge and it hasn't been without some problems . Have had the oil pump failure and warped front rotors ( both replaced under warranty ) . Broke down three states away from home with a dirty ECU and barely rode it for two years because of continual problems with air in rear brake line and the dreaded starts interuptus . Both those problems now cured and only niggle is inadequate rear suspension for two up travel .
  Going to have to sell the Norge and I know it will be sorely missed . When all is well it has been the most soulful and satisfying bike I've ever owned . Having fears that the FJR may feel as soulless as my brothers wing and feel more appliance like than the Goose . This is also my first inline 4 as I've always had twins .
   So guess it's adios . Have been a lurker here for years and will not abandon the forum but it just won't feel the same .
     Thanks everyone . Geezerbot

Offline lost

• New Egg
Re: leaving the fold
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Sorry to see you go but I can understand. Let us know how you like the FJR.

twowings

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Too bad you can't make room for her to stay...there's something mysteriously wonderful about these bikes that has affected me like no bike before...enjoy your new ride!

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »
Sorry to see you go but I can understand. Let us know how you like the FJR.

:1:

Congrats on your new ride. I test rode a new FJR1300 with electronic suspension a couple of weeks ago. It is a very nice bike. It was short on legroom for me but I was told the seat is adjustable and may have been on the low setting. The engine may lack the soul of a v-twin but it was extremely smooth and powerful and the fueling was perfect. The engine almost felt like an electric motor, it had a bunch of torque at idle and just smoothly made more as the revs built. It also rode and handled well and felt much lighter than it actually is. The bike wasn't right for me right now but I can appreciate it's many strengths and can see why they are popular.
North Carolina

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »
Oh wow, let me know when you get it up for sale............NOT!  no really good luck with the Yammy and have a great trip! :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »
Stories like yours, regardless of the tales of years of trouble-free miles from others, is what's kept me from CARCy, extra-valved Guzzi offerings. I just don't want a worse taste in my mouth than I already have from my Calvin.

The Yamaha may be sewing-machine smooth (not necessarily a good thing for many of us) and strangely hot in certain circumstances but otherwise eminently gratifying in it's performance and reliability.

Too bad about that chain :evil:.. But hell, at least it isn't CARCed up. :boozing:

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 07:00:57 PM »
The CARC isn't the problem here, and it's a 2 valve version, and it's one bike...so hardly statistically relevant...but if 1 incident is enough to dissuade you...

Suspension for 2 up riding also easily solved by installing a good after market shock (Wilbers for example) for $800 bucks with an external adjustment for switching from riding 1 to 2 up.

Startus interruptus and a properly working rear master cylinder would cure both of those minor issues...

The FJR will be sewing machine smooth, maybe runs a bit hotter on the legs than the 2 valve Norge...

Post up some pics though..will be fun to see the road trip photos!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
The latest FJR in my group departed for the 1290 Super Adventure.  But that is another story.

Enjoy the FJR, oh and the heat, I hear the new one has much better air flow.  Yamaha listens.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
My two Yamaha's were good to me. One of which was the early FJ1100, the SPORT-tourer, which has evolved (or matured) into your new steed, the sport-TOURER. I loved that bike, but, wow, it was fast... and it just begged to go faster.

Try to keep it under 150mph.  :copcar:

Since you've got the bike with the matching luggage - your second bike can be a single-purpose Spine-Frame Moto Guzzi. All in good time...  :clock:
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 07:17:45 PM »

Too bad about that chain :evil:.. But hell, at least it isn't CARCed up. :boozing:

Todd.

No chain on an FJR, shaft drive.

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:09:53 PM »

2-sided swing arm / drive shaft I believe. Immenselu competent sport tourer. Congrats.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:10:50 PM by fatbob »
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
Having the machine fit you is better than just sticking with one brand no matter what.

Post some pics and impressions when have them!
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »

Just grit for the mill.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
Since you've got the bike with the matching luggage - your second bike can be a single-purpose Spine-Frame Moto Guzzi. All in good time...  :clock:
I like your thinking..

Geezerboy, NBD leaving the fold. BTDT,
 there are so many great bikes to try in just one lifetime.. just stick with Wildguzzi and all will be
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »

Very interesting thread for me.  I had a Norge and had to let it go for very similar reasons to the OP.  Just test rode a FJR and it is a fine bike, but am troubled by the fact that they apparently are prone to head shake, but that's another story (and thread!).  Anyway, still researching the FJR and could very well end up with a FJR and a "single-purpose spine-frame Moto Guzzi.  I've already got that one!

Geezerboy, good luck with the new ride and give us a shout on how you are liking it.  I would love to hear. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Lcarlson

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 10:24:56 PM »
One of the bikes I traded in to get my current (and first) Guzzi was also an in-line four, a 2007 BMW K1200GT. It was once (when it first appeared) the bike I wanted over all others, and I eventually acquired mine, just a couple of years old. It was a fine, smooth, fast sport tourer that would devour the miles with glass-smooth efficiency. But I came to find it excessively automotive (or, if you will, an appliance). Now it's gone, but my old boxer remains. You may love the in-line four experience, and it will undoubtedly be a good two up tourer. But still....

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »
FJR heat issues have been improved for many years.

Just be careful about approaching the upper double digit speeds.  A bit past 90, something along the lines of, oh, let's call them afterburners, kick in and it becomes a-whole-nother machine.  It will go from 60 to XXX very quickly, without any effort at all.  Without downshifting.

I doubt you will be displeased.  I've made a few ergonomic upgrades to mine and long days are easy.  Rifle windshield, HeliBars upper triple clamp and riser blocks, Sargent (commuting) and Russell Daylong OEM rebuild (day trips and beyond) saddles (although Gen III seating is said to be improved over Gen II)... I guess those are the big ones.  It's a rock solid platform built to go and go.  Congratulations!

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 01:30:54 AM »
Just started riding my '05 FJR again.............. ..and like the previous poster said, It gets up and goes.  Goosed mine getting on the freeway and had it up to 90+ lickety split!  Had just installed a performance map.....  :thumb:  Still prefer twins, but if I were heading out on a long trip, the feejer would get the nod.
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
Having traded the Stelvio in on a '13 FJR I can you tell that it will be different feeling. The 2 engines are very different in feel. The FJR likes to be wound up before shifting and it took me a little while before I came to understand that. My wife and I did the PCH on the FJR and it was the best bike that I could have hoped for. You simply put gas,oil and tires on it and go. Every time you hit that starter button, it starts, doesn't matter if its 105 degrees or 25 degrees. Good brakes and 40 mpg all day long. Most dependable bike I have ever ridden and personally one of the best looking. So I don't own a Goose anymore but I still come here cause its the best forum around and the people are the most knowledgeable about motorcycling.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
A very good choice. I think what many call character or soul in a bike is more just an acceptance of its flaws and poor design.  I had an 05 FJR, loved it and will probably buy another down the road at some point. Really nail it going up an onramp or on an open road and tell me the FJR feels like an appliance. Great bike and very reliable. I sold mine to a longtime BMW owner that was tired of all the stupid little problems and just wanted to ride.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
I think what many call character or soul in a bike is more just an acceptance of its flaws and poor design.
Respectfully, I think you're mistaken.  :smiley: The most flawless motorcycle in the world would leave me cold if I didn't like it's character. Guzzis, Ducks, even *cough cough* some Harleys have it. Inline 4s? Naw. Boring as a BMW.. :cool: :boozing:
<running and ducking again>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
Respectfully, I think you're mistaken.  :smiley: The most flawless motorcycle in the world would leave me cold if I didn't like it's character. Guzzis, Ducks, even *cough cough* some Harleys have it. Inline 4s? Naw. Boring as a BMW.. :cool: :boozing:
<running and ducking again>

Mostly this, as I wouldn't mind owning an MV Austa. But I wouldn't sell any of my twins to buy one.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
If you're riding an FJR and see someone take their hands off the bars are they run off the road and you move your head side to side, does that count as head shake?

Put cheap tires on, never check the air pressure, load all kinds of things on the bars and then as you go down the road, take your hands of the bars as the bike decelerates and it will shake.

It's trying to get rid of you, probably for good reason.

elvisboy77

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »
Safe travels- great bike!

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »
If you're riding an FJR and see someone take their hands off the bars are they run off the road and you move your head side to side, does that count as head shake?

Put cheap tires on, never check the air pressure, load all kinds of things on the bars and then as you go down the road, take your hands of the bars as the bike decelerates and it will shake.

It's trying to get rid of you, probably for good reason.

Yet again you seem to add nothing to the conversation.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
Been through the FJR mode, great bullet-proof bike. The question is, can I trust the Norge like the FJR?

Yamaha is rated #1 in reliability, rode em for 12 straight years in a row, never a problem on the road. 50k on the Royal Star and 26k on an 02 FJR.

Kentktk

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »
Mostly this, as I wouldn't mind owning an MV Austa. But I wouldn't sell any of my twins to buy one.

I didn`t sell a twin to buy a 2014 MV Agusta F4, but I would sell one before selling the F4 now

canuguzzi

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »
Been through the FJR mode, great bullet-proof bike. The question is, can I trust the Norge like the FJR?

Yamaha is rated #1 in reliability, rode em for 12 straight years in a row, never a problem on the road. 50k on the Royal Star and 26k on an 02 FJR.

It depends on what you are willing to live with when you consider reliability.

The Norge is not a gas and oil and ride across the country and back then ride the rest of the year without touching it thing. Some might have done it but more have not.

Then there is the school of thought that if a sensor fails and causes the bike not to run, that is maintenance, not a reliability issue.

What are the chances of an out of the showroom Norge being as reliable as a FJR from day one? Who knows?

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »
Once a goose always a goose. You can still hang with us.  :thumb:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »
Yet again you seem to add nothing to the conversation.

Yeah, I didn't see the point either. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here