Author Topic: Five Guzzi's that I have owned...  (Read 3888 times)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Five Guzzi's that I have owned...
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:12:47 AM »
T.G.I.F.!!! Everyone have a safe and happy weekend! :thumb: :1: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Five Guzzi's that I have owned...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
 :thumb:
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
OK,which is your favorite? And why...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
OK,which is your favorite? And why...

:popcorn:
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »
An august group of motorcycles, to be sure. It's only been the last 10-15 years that I could afford bikes that I really lusted after. Most of my bikes were compromises; good (and sometimes great) machines that I could obtain without asking my family to make a sacrifice. My kids are grown now, so I have much more in the way of disposable income. My '07 Vintage was the first "bucket list" bike I ever purchased! I may just keep it til I go to the other side...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »
:popcorn:

Probably my favorite so far is my '98 Centauro GT, and I always wanted one, but hesitated because I listened to several of my "Guzzi expert friends" who said they were troublesome, had issues, I could'nt get parts....BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.  All BS, of course.  All known issues sorted now...and it runs like a beast!  Fast enough for me.  I like it mainly because it is fuel-injected, has 92 HP, and "fits" me ergonomically, like a glove. We'll see how she does when I do the 700+ mile round trip to Datil, NM in two weeks.  Will file a report.

The '02 V11 Le Mans was good one also.  It was smooth and powerful, no issues for touring.   I only sold it because I moved to Germany for two years. A good friend has it now...

The '93 1000 SP-III was an excellent touring bike, but my wife complained of "head-buffeting" at 80-85 mph and she said she sat "too high", so I sold it and bought the ultimate two-up bike, my Victory Vision.  Solo however, it was fine.

My '83 850 Le Mans was fun, but after 5 years, I wanted someone else to be the caretaker and enjoy it.  I had it set up nice, but not as fast as my '02 V11 or my '98 Centauro GT.  Great handling and braking however.  It now resides in San Diego with its new (....and happy owner)

My '78 850 Le Mans was the classic Guzzi, but the seat was like riding on a two-by-four.  Stiff and hard...however, a special and highly collectible Guzzi for Bike Night, vintage events, or just showing up to be cool, but "rough" on the wrists to do any long distance touring.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:19:47 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

twowings

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »
You've done well, grasshopper...excep t for that Victory thing, of course... :evil:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »
You've done well, grasshopper...excep t for that Victory thing, of course... :evil:

We looked at them and road tested them all - The Gold Wing, several Big Twin HD's (and I have owned 4),, the new BMW-6, the new BMW R1200RT, the Honda FB-6, the new Indian Chief, etc. etc. etc. 

My wife LOVES riding on "Moby Dick" as she says that is the MOST comfortable one of them all...so as the Chinese say..."Happy Wife-Happy Life!"  Besides, that purchase and her contentment opened the door for my '98 Centauro GT!! :wink: :cool: :1: :thumb:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
Besides, that purchase and her contentment opened the door for my '98 Centauro GT!! :wink: :cool: :1: :thumb:
Oh the sacrifices we need to make sometimes!!!  :wink:

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
 The Le Mans III is a bit mythical for me, pushing all the right buttons. Can you expand why after only '5 years'  :),   You sold it?

I was thinking of creating something like this:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
The Le Mans III is a bit mythical for me, pushing all the right buttons. Can you expand why after only '5 years'  :),   You sold it?

I was thinking of creating something like this:

Because I have owned and ridden 34 bikes in 50 years...I could never afford to keep too many bikes at one time...and the sale of one...always fueled the purchase of another.... I wanted to try something new...that's all....in the end...we are only all just "CARETAKERS" of these fine machines anyway... :wink: :cool:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »
Because I have owned and ridden 34 bikes in 50 years...I could never afford to keep too many bikes at one time...and the sale of one...always fueled the purchase of another.... I wanted to try something new...that's all....in the end...we are only all just "CARETAKERS" of these fine machines anyway... :wink: :cool:

Ok, thanks.
Btw, you look pretty young on your avatar picture for someone who's been riding for 50 years!

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
JJ,thanks for the reply.I have an '84 LeMans III in white,not as pristine as your red one but a good rider and the perfect Sunday ride! My first Guzzi is a '76 Convert and one of my favorites,ride it all the time!My go to mile masher is a 2008 Norge,Corsa red,girlfriend fits and likes that we ride something other than a Harley...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

twowings

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »
Ok, thanks.
Btw, you look pretty young on your avatar picture for someone who's been riding for 50 years!

He bathes in Chianti and AGIP 10W-60.... :grin:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
Ok, thanks.

Yes, I'll be 63 in a week...but I don't look too bad for a  full blown Guzzi Geezer!!  This is me and my wife on our 32 anniversary in NORCAL in June... :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:

image of a safe

This is me in 2015 when I bought the Centauro...with a full beard...and before I went back to work full-time...

upload a photo

"Guzzi-Geezers!!"  :laugh: :grin: :wink:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:48:32 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
He bathes in Chianti and AGIP 10W-60.... :grin:

"Life is too short to drink bad wine....and life is meant to ENJOY...not ENDURE!"
  AGIP 10W-60 works for me!! :thumb: :1: :cool:

russian photo sharing

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
JJ,

I too have owned the same 3 Lemans versions as you.  I haven't "quite" owned as many bikes as you but I am in full agreement with your philosophy;  we are just caretakers and the sale of one fuels the purchase of the next.  Each bike is an experience, and I don't really regret any of my purchases or sales of bikes. 
The one thing I kind of regret though, is not having had one special bike that I kept for 100,000+ miles.  That would be a fun thing to do, but when I really think about it that is just not me.  In the end I am probably happier having enjoyed many (don't tell my wife I said that)!   :laugh:

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing that Centauro in Datil.  Just a few more weeks!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
An august group of motorcycles, to be sure. It's only been the last 10-15 years that I could afford bikes that I really lusted after. Most of my bikes were compromises; good (and sometimes great) machines that I could obtain without asking my family to make a sacrifice. My kids are grown now, so I have much more in the way of disposable income. My '07 Vintage was the first "bucket list" bike I ever purchased! I may just keep it til I go to the other side...
Me to Sheep, my 07 Calvin so far is my favorite of dozens of the major brands

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »
I still look like this 40 years later. Anyone believe this, LOL, I crack me up sometimes

twowings

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »
^^ Yeah, but how does the BIKE look now??  :grin:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »
JJ,

I too have owned the same 3 Lemans versions as you.  I haven't "quite" owned as many bikes as you but I am in full agreement with your philosophy;  we are just caretakers and the sale of one fuels the purchase of the next.  Each bike is an experience, and I don't really regret any of my purchases or sales of bikes. 
The one thing I kind of regret though, is not having had one special bike that I kept for 100,000+ miles.  That would be a fun thing to do, but when I really think about it that is just not me.  In the end I am probably happier having enjoyed many (don't tell my wife I said that)!   :laugh:

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing that Centauro in Datil.  Just a few more weeks!

alanp - They say variety is the spice of life!!  Likewise!  :thumb:  Safe travels and we'll celebrate life in Datil! :cool: :1:  I have probably ridden >500,000 miles (or more...) during my time...but on many, many bikes!
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 03:27:38 PM »
I have a champagne LeMans that sits next to the yellow Beast. Some years ago I got a pic of a Centauro with a V11 LeMans fairing. Takes all my resistance to keep the fairing on that bike. If I could get a second fairing reasonably priced..........
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »
I have a champagne LeMans that sits next to the yellow Beast. Some years ago I got a pic of a Centauro with a V11 LeMans fairing. Takes all my resistance to keep the fairing on that bike. If I could get a second fairing reasonably priced..........

:thumb: :thumb:  Looking back, maybe I could have taken my V11 LeMans to Aachen, Germany with me for two years...but a good friend wanted it...so I sold it to him and he still has it.  I am never that attached to any one motorcycles - because there is always something else just as interesting...or more so...just around the corner.

No regrets about buying my '98 Centauro GT.  It is a cool and unique Guzzi :thumb: :cool: :1:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »
, but hesitated because I listened to several of my "Guzzi expert friends" who said they were troublesome, had issues, I could'nt get parts....BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.  All BS, of course.   
one bike you should try, Buell Uly, more HP shorter WB (by like 4 INCHES) and MORE Torq. don't listen to all the naysayers...SEE ABOVE..

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:43:31 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 05:52:12 AM »
one bike you should try, Buell Uly, more HP shorter WB (by like 4 INCHES) and MORE Torq. don't listen to all the naysayers...SEE ABOVE..

I test rode a new one back in the day...and liked it! :thumb: :cool:  They are good bikes!!
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here