Author Topic: One Second After and EMP proof Guzzi  (Read 11715 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: One Second After and EMP proof Guzzi
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Although accurately described, I think your motorcycle will be least of your concerns after an EMP event.

I wish that were my only worry or concern in life. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Yep , and I am offering smoke signal lessons , will trade for drums of cheap gas , cases of 20W50
Dino , tires in the correct sizes for a Jackal , and cases of Spam .

Dusty

I got a case of spam for you -- woman calls up offering some sort of professional referral service.  I was busy and didn't care.  So I'm offering it to you as valuable trade.  Or you can deal with her directly -- I'll give you her ph# (512-730-4191 -- REAL NUMBER -- don't call her unless you mean it!).  You could probably trade English lessons instead of smoke signal tutoring.

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 09:04:27 PM »
I got a case of spam for you -- woman calls up offering some sort of professional referral service.  I was busy and didn't care.  So I'm offering it to you as valuable trade.  Or you can deal with her directly -- I'll give you her ph# (512-730-4191 -- REAL NUMBER -- don't call her unless you mean it!).  You could probably trade English lessons instead of smoke signal tutoring.

Well, they don't really speak English in Texas , and unfortunately I only know smoke signal in Lakota and English , OK and a few words in Cyrillic , but those backward letters are a bitch  :laugh:

Dusty

lucydad

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »
Not a native TEXAN...but I know more than a few.... :whip2:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »
Tin hats indeed!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are two types of disaster really. Local, and global. The first happens regularly enough to make some preparation for, the second, while known to occur from time to time really isn't worth worrying about.

If one of the super volcanoes Like Yellowstone or Taupo blows it's top the whole world is in trouble.  When Toba did it's thing 74000 years ago the world population of humans went down to an estimated mere 2000!
If Yellowstone were to go no amount of preparation is going to help unless you happen to be not far north of Mexico (and then only for a while)  Check out what happened last time it went off.
Not much point in getting all worried about such an event.

Localised disasters are a much different and more frequent proposition and worth have some preparation for, be they hurricane, tornado earthquake, or what ever risk presents in your area.

Anyone wanting advice on putting together a kit for such an event might find the following page of some use.

It does not include standing guard over you tub of water with an AK47. I dunno, different culture maybe?

http://getthru.govt.nz/how-to-get-ready

New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

beetle

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »
I think I'll invent the steam powered smart phone. That'll show them EMP types.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:01 PM »
I think I'll invent the steam powered smart phone. That'll show them EMP types.

:laugh: With the proper steam-punk styling of course.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:15:58 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

56Pan

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 11:30:54 PM »
It is obviously a slow night on the forum.

Penderic

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 01:11:37 AM »
Well I am prepared!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
Things never happen like we think they will.

The cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki actually experience nuclear "events".   Not a leaky nuclear reactor, not a toxic radioactive spill, but were blasted and burned to the ground by a direct nuclear strike.

Seventy years later, both of those cities are bustling, prosperous, shining cities with burgeoning populations and a huge amount of commercial trade.

And the city where the US mechanized industry that built the US war machine was centered is a destroyed hellhole that LOOKS like it was hit by a nuclear bomb sometime in the past and never fixed ...

So you never know.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

dibble

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 01:07:16 PM »
You all seem to have missed the point If someone does drop a Little Bucket of Sunshine on the US we would come and help you back on the path to civilisation you are presently struggeling along.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
Well I am prepared!

Those are cool...until you have to plug it in to get the boiler working...and it makes enough light to read from (maybe)

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
I just finished reading "One Second After" a book that chronicles what it would be like after a EMP attack kills all of our modern high tech electronic devices. It got me thinking, "I'm glad I have the mighty 850" (Guzzi content). While I'm not a full blown "prepper", but.... Anyway there any number of things that could disrupt the comfortable life as we have come to know it, whether long term or short. It has always amazed me what panic the forecast of a little snow causes here in the south.

So this could be a good topic or gone by the fifth reply. But have you given the topic any thought and if so what plans and or actions have taken.

Despite the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds, I don't think your bike is 100% out of the woods. It MIGHT be due to the simplistic nature, but it still has electrical equipment that can fry/short/etc if exposed to a strong enough pulse.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »
Things never happen like we think they will.

The cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki actually experience nuclear "events".   Not a leaky nuclear reactor, not a toxic radioactive spill, but were blasted and burned to the ground by a direct nuclear strike.

Seventy years later, both of those cities are bustling, prosperous, shining cities with burgeoning populations and a huge amount of commercial trade.

And the city where the US mechanized industry that built the US war machine was centered is a destroyed hellhole that LOOKS like it was hit by a nuclear bomb sometime in the past and never fixed ...

So you never know.

Lannis

No "Marshall Plan", Asian Aid nor the funding turning Japan into a NATO aircraft carrier supporting the Korean war for the American war machine... More's the pity.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »
Don't know how realistic an EMP is/is not, but here in the Northeast we've lost power for 5 - 9 days several times in the past 5 or so years... Hurricane Sandy, the October snowstorm and one other that doesn't come to mind.

As they say about the new "Fear the Walking Dead" series, "when civilization ends, it ends fast", seems to be the case. After Sandy, there was a gas station about 5 miles from me that was the only one in the area with power, and man it got ugly there quickly. I stopped down one evening and the station was packed, lines for hundreds of yards down the road in each direction, and people were getting VERY angry with each other, to the point of near physical confrontation. I knew it was a 24 hour station, so I said screw it, drove home, set my phone alarm to 3am and came back about 3:30 the next morning and the place was deserted so I filled up... :-) Apparently people still like to sleep in regardless the emergency!

Anyway, one thing you can be sure of, if we ever do get some type of extended issue with the power grid, look for it to get bad quickly. I'm no prepper, but I understand why people feel the need to be prepared, and very few are....

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »
I have no idea whether One Second After is a realistic depiction of what would happen following a deliberate EMP attack, but I nonetheless enjoyed it when I read it a few years ago. As a guide to surviving an electronic apocalypse, I'd take it with a grain of salt. But as entertainment, its excellent.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
I have no idea whether One Second After is a realistic depiction of what would happen following a deliberate EMP attack, but I nonetheless enjoyed it when I read it a few years ago. As a guide to surviving an electronic apocalypse, I'd take it with a grain of salt. But as entertainment, its excellent.

Like Repo Man , fun to watch , not very realistic  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
EMP drills?

Guess the kids won't be clambering under their desks or "duck & covering"... Sure hope the electro-magnetic locks don't trap 'em in the schools though. :boozing:

Has anyone else heard the recent PSAs with family members including children absolutely freaking out over a general cell service failure? It was so over the top and breathlessly presented that I thought it was a radio skit... but it weren't.

It's clearly some folks greatest societal fear. Sad, that!

"What would you DO!?!" The family members are desperately imploring the father to make it all better.... Shameful.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 06:05:18 PM »
EMP drills?

Has anyone else heard the recent PSAs with family members including children absolutely freaking out over a general cell service failure? It was so over the top and breathlessly presented that I thought it was a radio skit... but it weren't.

It's clearly some folks greatest societal fear. Sad, that!

"What would you DO!?!" The family members are desperately imploring the father to make it all better.... Shameful.

Todd.

Some people are just turning into little technological poodles.    My family wouldn't even notice if all the cell service in the country shut off and stayed off.   I think it would be a benefit, overall .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »
You all seem to have missed the point If someone does drop a Little Bucket of Sunshine on the US we would come and help you back on the path to civilisation you are presently struggeling along.

:grin:
New Zealand

beetle

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2015, 11:52:04 PM »
If my smart phone went 'poof'? Happy, happy, joy, joy. I'd miss Solitaire though. :laugh:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here