Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a way to remove the bearing races pressed on (transmission)  (Read 6234 times)

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Can anyone recommend a way to remove the bearing races pressed on the mainshaft and clutchshaft.  Thanks,
Nate

dilligaf

Nate,
If it what I think you are talking about I think you are going to need a press however, some bearing are held in place with a lock pin.  If you do not find a pin you will need a press.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Thanks Matt  ;) I was thinking about welding a bead around the race, but I was concerned with damaging the actual shaft with heat.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
I use a bearing splitter and a puller. A little heat helps but, I don't think I'd weld them.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1122-Bearing-Splitter/dp/B000O866WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1260858021&sr=8-1
Joe Walano

Wildguzzi.com

canuck750

300 degrees in the oven for 20 minutes and they should fall right out. To install heat the case again to 300 degrees then drop in cold bearings.

Vasco DG

It would help if we knew what model you are talking about? If you are talking big block five speed there are no bearings pressed onto shafts? There are the inner races of needle rollers. Is this what you mean?

Pete

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
The bearing splitter and puller is my first choice and in a pinch I will use a small cutoff wheel in a die grinder and go mostly through and then split with a chisel. Cooling the shaft in the freezer and heating the new race or bearing in the 300 degree range will let it drop right on.  Otherwise you will need a press to install the new ones. Do not push in the wrong areas of new bearings or they will be damaged.  Mike

oldbike54

300 degrees in the oven for 20 minutes and they should fall right out. To install heat the case again to 300 degrees then drop in cold bearings.

I think he is referring to the inner races . What Pete stated is relevant , what model ?

Dusty

dilligaf

Heat is your friend and what JoeW said.  I always had a press but that was back in the day.  :BEER: 
Matt

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
I think he is referring to the inner races . What Pete stated is relevant , what model ?

Dusty
Yes, the inner races.  850T/5speed.  Thanks guys :)

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
Heat and most will fall right out, some might need a little persuasion with a blind bearing puller.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:24:24 PM by Hahnda »
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Yes, the inner races.  850T/5speed.  Thanks guys :)
One is easy, 2 legged puller on "nut" spacer behind it, not threaded, just pull both off together
the other either factory type tool, bearing separator puller if you have one or just grind it through & chisel it off

Vasco DG

As above. I have also cut slots in the surface and used knife edges in them with the press on the end of the shaft.

Pete

canuck750

Dusty
oops
I should have read in detail before I posted

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
oops
I should have read in detail before I posted

No worries old boy!  I should have wrote more detailed when I posted  :BEER:   I'm just really grateful for the wealth of info you all are willing to share

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here