Author Topic: Friendly Reminder  (Read 8286 times)

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
Friendly Reminder
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
    A good friend of mine just sent me this photo. It was snapped just after stopping to enjoy the view and do a quick bike inspection. I somehow noticed the clip on my masterlink was missing for who knows how long and we were both almost out of fuel. Took someones directions missed a turn ended up at the top of the blue ridge parkway long story. We decided to chance it and coast down the mountain and take the first exit. Just off the first exit motorcycle shop 2 new masterlinks and a gas station.

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Friendly Reminder
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
The bags hold just enough for around town. Mine has the tank bag I made out of a waterproof bag and some motorcycle straps. worked great. Held tent, wool blanket 2 changes of clothes and a few other odds and ends.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:59:28 AM »
Glad you caught that master link problem before it got out of hand.  I got stranded on the Interstate in WV when a master link went missing.  After that I always insisted on a riveted master link.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
    I was a bit nervous coming down the mountain. I was imagining the chain either hitting me in the back of the leg or getting locked up and breaking things while locking up the rear wheel and sending me for a ride. I had a trans lock up at 40 ish one time with one hand on the bars and it almost got ugly. Lucky nobody was behind me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »
Front brake on the left bike in the photo looks a bit small...

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline handyandy

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
Masterlink ? One of the reasons I went to a 71 Ambassador way back in 78. 250k later and no drive chain issues since.

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
    I hate to say the bike on the right has no front brake either. Not to be cool.... I just had not bought the parts to install yet. The normal front brake lever/master was run to the rear caliper. I had planned to use a hydro clutch lever to actuate front calipers. I had just fit the front wheel another non stock item when I went on that ride. I still want to have another one set up the same way foot clutch hand shift and bicycle brakes (both on handlebars).

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
A little bit of wire twisted around the grooves where the masterlink normally goes will hold it till you get home and maybe longer.

Wire and small pliers - good to be in the toolbag even if nothing else is there ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
One of the racers on the triples board made this video on the subject.  He uses adhesive to retain the master link, and it works well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTMKMk2CIo
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 02:07:22 PM »
    I was a bit nervous coming down the mountain. I was imagining the chain either hitting me in the back of the leg or getting locked up and breaking things while locking up the rear wheel and sending me for a ride. I had a trans lock up at 40 ish one time with one hand on the bars and it almost got ugly. Lucky nobody was behind me.

I'd have been MORE nervous coming down the mountain with a good masterlink but no front brake!    :o :o

I must say that the old SLS drums on the panheads and early shovelheads weren't much of an improvement over the proverbial fairy pressing a dandelion head against the front hub,  but at least they were something .... !    You just have to go so slow with no front brake ....

Lannis

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
I have been carrying a spare master link on my key ring for years...just in case.;-)
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »
Nice shovel! Glad to see another here on the forum.
Enjoy!
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
Having busted the chain on my old VFR at WOT and being clipped by the chain as it was spat out the back busting various things on the bike on its way - I can assure you "it 'aint no fun"!!!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »
Glad the first exit worked out!  Fortunate to not have to walk. LOL. Been there a few times myself.

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
    We were very fortunate. to be honest I don't feel like the no front brake ever held back my legal speed potential. Not that I didn't plan on adding one but the rear only on that bike at legal speeds was no problem. Heck even at over legal speeds it was really no problem. Funny though the reason we stopped originally was because my brake lever started to feel mushy and pull farther to the bar and I was concerned and wanted to stop and inspect. When you only have one that one is important. Turned out the reach adjustment screw had just backed out a tad. 

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 06:31:33 PM »
Nice shovel! Glad to see another here on the forum.
Enjoy!

There a number of HD owners on the forum.  My Shovel engine Recon is in the garage. ;-T
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
    We were very fortunate. to be honest I don't feel like the no front brake ever held back my legal speed potential.

Well, I'm not saying that the lack of a front brake was a "problem" for you that day, but if you're missing 75% of your braking ability, you'll be slowing for curves FAR before someone who has brakes, assuming you can both corner at the same speed once you're in it.   

Has to be.  Certainly you can still enjoy the ride.    But it's going to be slower than someone who has two good brakes ....

Lannis

dilligaf

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
    We were very fortunate. to be honest I don't feel like the no front brake ever held back my legal speed potential. Not that I didn't plan on adding one but the rear only on that bike at legal speeds was no problem. Heck even at over legal speeds it was really no problem. Funny though the reason we stopped originally was because my brake lever started to feel mushy and pull farther to the bar and I was concerned and wanted to stop and inspect. When you only have one that one is important. Turned out the reach adjustment screw had just backed out a tad. 

You are kidding right.  Riding without a front brake is just another way to commit suicide. Just plane dumb.  :BEER:
Matt   

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »
You are kidding right.  Riding without a front brake is just another way to commit suicide. Just plane dumb.  :BEER:
Matt   

If you take it easy, and are on a modified Harley with a big fat rear tire and the hydraulic drum or a modern disk and a rearward weight bias, you're not missing too much if the skinny front tire doesn't have a brake.   

On the other hand, you don't want to be going too fast!    Lots of tests from "the day" would show a 60 mph - 0 stopping distance of 135 feet or so with both brakes, and 200 + with the rear brake only.   Just got to make sure that your speed matches your braking ability, or you'll still be running 30 MPH when your brakeless front wheel hits that car bumper ....

Lannis

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »
    Not kidding. Not committing suicide either. Like I said legal speeds. Only a 16x130 on the rear of that bike. I'm not into the fat rear tire thing. Still after a year of Rear only riding on that bike I don't even have a close call or I barely stopped in time story. Modern 4 piston caliper disc and lots of weight on the rear tire. With the hardtail frame there was also much less weight transfer to the front tire when braking as well. Besides I already stated I had planned on adding a front brake and definitely was not doing it to be cool.

Actually the only time I crashed that bike was when it had a front brake only and was during the test and tune stage. I grabbed a bunch of throttle expecting it to fall on it's face as it had been doing all night (early stages of jetting the carb) to my surprise she roared and broke the back tire loose doing a sideways rolling burnout. I got it under control but was going sorta fast by then and had a fence ahead of me (parking lot testing) Maybe it was the adrenaline but I grabbed a little to much front brake locked the wheel and dumped it on it's side. Neither me nor the bike was hurt to bad. Just a little pride as there was a crowd of buddies watching. Never a problem or close call with the rear only though.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here