Author Topic: V85tt starting procedure  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
V85tt starting procedure
« on: January 13, 2022, 05:12:46 AM »
Hi. Just got a V85tt Centenario a couple of days ago. Seems like to start the bike I should
1. Turn the key.
2. put it in neutral.
3. Press the engine cutoff.
4. Press the engine start.

Interestingly I found a wrench wedged in front of the exhaust pipe after riding it for a couple of days. The mechanic preparing the bike must have forgotten it after going on break.

Does that sound right?

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85tt starting procedure
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 05:25:41 AM »
No owner's manual?
Here check this out, PDF owner's manual
https://cadrecycle.com/manuals/manuals/v85-manual.pdf

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 06:12:06 AM »
Do you know someone who can come around and introduce you to your bike and some of it’s important characteristics ?
Just reading between the lines a bit, some basic techniques might need refreshing.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 07:12:42 AM »
Do you know someone who can come around and introduce you to your bike and some of it’s important characteristics ?
Just reading between the lines a bit, some basic techniques might need refreshing.

Congratulations on the new bike and wrench! I 2nd this suggestion and possibly going over the bike to double check the dealer's set up work. If the mechanic left a wrench they may have done a sub-par job. If the dealer is reasonably close I would alert the service manager and see about having them do the re-check.

I think it's a wonderful bike and thoroughly enjoy mine. Wishing you many safe and happy miles!
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 07:12:42 AM »

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 07:44:10 AM »
Thanks for the link to the owners manual. Nice to be able to access it from the phone.

Would be very nice to have someone show me all the tips and tricks. 20yr gap between motorcycle ownership is taking a little time to relearn. 😂

On my 2021 Vespa GTS300 having the side stand down kills the engine. That’s not true with the V85tt. Anyways will take a few minutes to figure it all out and a little time to remember it.

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 09:47:39 AM »
Congrats on the new bike.  Mine came with a screwdriver under the seat.  In all fairness, the mechanic had put it there and someone else put on the seat covering it.  A couple weeks later, I was in Cincinnati, I returned it to the proper owner.  The Centenario is my second V85 and I am very comfortable on it.  I have done several short trips around and a longer one to Colorado and am very happy with it.  Enjoy!
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 10:35:10 AM »
I'm sure the mechanic is looking for his ratchet & socket. Return it to him and ask him to show you all about the bike, say after he get's off work.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:21:17 PM »
 :grin:   Can’t think of a tactful way to bring it up with the dealer without sounding critical. Things happen. No harm done.

Just tried to start the bike again with the same result.
Bike instruments on, in neutral. Pressed the start button and nothing. Pressed the kill switch first then the start button and starts right up.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 02:38:13 PM »
:grin:   Can’t think of a tactful way to bring it up with the dealer without sounding critical. Things happen. No harm done.

Just tried to start the bike again with the same result.
Bike instruments on, in neutral. Pressed the start button and nothing. Pressed the kill switch first then the start button and starts right up.
So when that happens, if you shut the bike off with the key and turn the key on again, it will start ?
I would bypass the kill switch so it is permanently on.
You don’t need the damn thing.

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 03:04:38 PM »
Sorry to get people baffled at my troubles with starting the bike. Turned out I was having the kill switch in the off position every time I used it without realizing it.  :violent1:

That explains why I had to press the kill switch again before the starter button to start the engine. Again, this is different in my Vespa on which the kill switch is not a latching button.

Agree with Huzo. Don’t bother with the kill switch!!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 03:23:53 PM »
Sorry to get people baffled at my troubles with starting the bike. Turned out I was having the kill switch in the off position every time I used it without realizing it.  :violent1:

That explains why I had to press the kill switch again before the starter button to start the engine. Again, this is different in my Vespa on which the kill switch is not a latching button.

Agree with Huzo. Don’t bother with the kill switch!!
No need to be sorry Razor.
I’m happy to ponder other people’s problems all day, it’s MY problems that bug me !
If every issue we had with a bike was that easy, life would be boring.. :thumb:

I once purchased a new washing machine and brought it home. After connecting it up and throwing in the load, I pushed the “go” button and it just clicked with no action... :angry:
I rang the store and told them I was (unchacteristically) mad as hell, they said that they’d send someone around tomorrow, to which I replied “no you won’t, you’ll send someone NOW...!”

So they did.
The tech came in and hit the “go” button and...Nothing !
Then he reached over and turned on the taps (faucets)...

Then it worked perfectly... :embarrassed: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:28:13 PM by Huzo »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 04:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the link to the owners manual. Nice to be able to access it from the phone.

Would be very nice to have someone show me all the tips and tricks. 20yr gap between motorcycle ownership is taking a little time to relearn. 😂

On my 2021 Vespa GTS300 having the side stand down kills the engine. That’s not true with the V85tt. Anyways will take a few minutes to figure it all out and a little time to remember it.

Recommend you go into your profile and enter your city and/or state. That way if someone is nearby they can reach out.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
Welcome to V85TT owership

This isnt your model, but this guy does a great job and its similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GocIzPilTE8
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 05:49:42 PM »
Welcome to The forum and back to the wonderful world of motorcycling and most importantly to Moto Guzzi.

I'm not too familiar with the switch gear on the v85 but I know my mgx21 kill switch was very different than most which tend to be a rocker. I think the kill switch on the mgx was a press in style and looking at it you can never really tell if it was in or out.

For me best practice has always been to use the kill switch to shut the motor off when I'm finished riding. This just guarantees that the motor stops running and I don't have to reach over to grab the ignition switch potentially losing balance or letting off the clutch etc. Of course this means that when you go to restart it you have to turn the kill switch on to run.

It'll take a while but you will develop a new manual of arms for your new motorcycle. Each one has its own peculiarities and you'll develop your own system soon enough.

I was surprised to read that your v85 doesn't have the kickstand cut off switch. Anytime my bike is in gear and the kickstand is down the motor is shut off and the ignition is interrupted can't even start it. Are you saying your v85 is different?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 06:12:44 PM »
I'm sure the mechanic is looking for his ratchet & socket. Return it to him and ask him to show you all about the bike, say after he get's off work.
This is the right thing to do.  That's a nice socket and I imagine the wrench is as well.   Stuff happens- we should be good to one another.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 06:37:28 PM »
I was surprised to read that your v85 doesn't have the kickstand cut off switch. Anytime my bike is in gear and the kickstand is down the motor is shut off and the ignition is interrupted can't even start it. Are you saying your v85 is different?

I’ll have to try that. After I figured out the business with  the kill switch I was able to consistently turn on the engine with the kickstand in the down position. However it’s always in neutral. I was not able to start the engine in gear and clutch in. I do like that I’m able to warm up the bike while it’s on the kickstand.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 06:42:52 PM »
It won't start in gear with the kickstand down. The kill button is in a poor location.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 06:46:49 PM »
It won't start in gear with the kickstand down. The kill button is in a poor location.

That's normal and what I would expect. On a couple of my bikes if you hold the clutch in you can start it with a kickstand down and in gear, but newer bikes seem to prevent that...
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 06:34:09 PM »
On a couple of my bikes if you hold the clutch in you can start it with a kickstand down and in gear, but newer bikes seem to prevent that...

I think Guzzi's lawyers got rid of this feature .......

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here