General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V7 Sport (road rash)

<< < (8/11) > >>

Canuck750:
I have only had good results dealing with HMB but I have also heard of the horror stories.

czakky82:
Transmission rebuilt using the guts bought from the swap meet. Cali 1100 I believe. Same gear ratios, an extra o-ring here and there. Every bearing besides the internal thin rollers on the shaft(s) replaced. Drum shimmed, Prussian blue on the ends of floating shafts to verify they are not making contact. Final assembly and it wouldn’t shift out of neutral…. :embarassed:, disassembled, I found nothing. I re-assembled and it shifted great. I have no idea why.
I managed to fit the clutch and starter ring tonight, forgetting where I had that old deep spline input hub. I was able to line everything up without it. So the most complex and expensive parts are done.
I’ll try to take more pics now that the operation is moving out to the shed from the basement.
The output seal on the trans is a bit proud of the speedo drive. I remember when rebuilding Tom’s T3 it was the same. I even ordered another seal thinking I might’ve installed the wrong one, I didn’t. Anyway this seal was a bit different and looks to do the same thing. The T3 didn’t leak so hopefully this one doesn’t…

czakky82:
Progress is progress but, I’m light on pics.
Some wiring done and I made a decision on foot controls. My options for now are either: cutdown v7 brackets and fabbing 850t shifter/rear brake linkages to work, run the cut down “downstairs mixup” controls (wrong side, right way up) or what I’ve decided 850t stuff all around until I can get my grubby paws on some v7 sport footpegs. It’s something like 40mm forward and down from V7 sports.
I also decided to re-seal the rear drive. It took some clean up on the two seal surfaces. It should go back together tomorrow. First time that deep in a Guzzi rear drive. I think I could handle a gear swap if I needed. In other words a shaved ape can take it apart…
Antietam CC gave me some (offline) advice on rear hub casting issues after I made a snap judgment on some ominous looking flaws in the rear hub. Turns out I was fine! So that should go back together soon too.
Tires, exhaust, footpegs and a good headlight are the major purchases due.

Canuck750:
For a headlight look on German EBay for a Moto Morini 3-1/2 headlight, my 1975 3-1/2 headlight is identical to the V7 Sport, if you can find one it will probably be much cheaper than a V7 sport headlight, the Benelli 650S also uses the same headlight, earlier 650S is similar except for the 4 prong wire terminal plugs are individual rather than being on a common plastic receptacle like the Sport unit and the shell will be painted black rather than chrome.

Canuck750:
Detlef Burian, the Benelli parts guy in Germany has the correct headlight used for 160 Euro and new for 230 Euro, check his website, look at the Benelli 650S page and scroll to the electric page, click on the headlight and the prices pop up on top left of page

https://www.benelliparts.de/

You will need to check if the headlight shell is black or chrome, they were typically black on the Benelli

TLM has the headlight ears in stock

https://shop.tlm.nl/en/staytube-v7-sport-dx-144967000000-moto-guzzi

850T tool boxes use the same back setcion, Moto Guzzi Classics used to sell repop fiberglass V7 Sport lids that you can rivet to the original steel hinges on the T box, check with Mark to see if he has any lids

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203852049024?hash=item2f76876a80:g:edcAAOSwwJ9iAVaJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version