Author Topic: jackal front brake caliper  (Read 11619 times)

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
jackal front brake caliper
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
while coming in from ok. ralley 2 miles from home no front brake( had it then  nothing) and draging front brake pad.  New front master and used  ss front brake line(MPH).  I have tried to bleed front brake line (dot4) with  vacuum pump and just pumping and bleeding the brake.  can feel some resisents in the lever but not a lot .  Is it the  caliper or disk.  Disk dosen't fill that worn (new paddies).rudyr

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: jackal front brake caliper
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
If it's the oem m/c it could be the seals have failed internally and won't pump.  I've had to toss mine in favor of NISSIN m/c's on account of the brembo stuff is not rebuildable and cost about 3x NISSIN prices to replace.

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »
which nissin caliper?  I went to a after market Harley shop and they tell $15.00 for 30 MM  after market Brembo rebuild kit.  But which model, well I called MPH for a price and what model.  I looked up in my Guzziology and it tell me in 2001 early the Jackal had a 5165 caliper and later had a 6800 ( gold & 2 pins holding the brake paddies) calper.  Well as some of youal know I have tuble's rimes  My caliper is not gold and has 2 pines holding in brake paddies and radel spings.. Rudyr

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
Check with yoyodyne for the brembo numbers.  When we last tried this, there were no service kits available; I had to buy new.  I don't have a Jackal handy now to check.

Most any of the big gxxr NISSIN m/c's will work.  Pre-about '96 they were normal pumps.  Post that cutoff (don't know exactly the date) they went to a radial design, which I prefer, mostly because they work on Guzzi fat bars and are ambidexterous.  I've been buying mine used for cheap on ebay.  The last one included the calipers, splitter, and hoses for about $100.  Those gxxrs don't seem to go very far before they crash.  I'll be getting another soon for the trike.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:33:08 PM »
Try elevating the calliper above the master cylinder, push the pistons right back and jamb a bit of something between the pads to stop them moving and the. Bleed the system.

The master cylinder only moves a small amount of fluid. If bleeding conventionally if there is air in the line the bubbles will rise back up the line while the master cylinder is re-priming. If the calliper is held above the master with as little hose as possible pointing *Down* the bubbles are far more likely to purge.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
which nissin caliper?  I went to a after market Harley shop and they tell $15.00 for 30 MM  after market Brembo rebuild kit.  But which model, well I called MPH for a price and what model.  I looked up in my Guzziology and it tell me in 2001 early the Jackal had a 5165 caliper and later had a 6800 ( gold & 2 pins holding the brake paddies) calper.  Well as some of youal know I have tuble's rimes  My caliper is not gold and has 2 pines holding in brake paddies and radel spings.. Rudyr

Rudy, "Gold" is the model line of the Brembo caliper, not the actual color.  The colors could be gold, black, silver in different applications.

If you have the 65mm mount, 2-pin calipers, then your caliper is the later 6800-series.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
'01 was a transition year for the Californias.  They switched from the 40mm mount single pin caliper to the 65mm mount two-pin caliper.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »
Hey Rudy whazzzzzup? I thought you were just a lurker :D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

wildduck

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
My '00 Jackal has the single pin caliper up front, just one. Stock MC. The brakes are very wooden in feel, as is the rear. Could this be pad related? They seem to stop OK but just no feel.

Thanks,

John

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
I want to thank all of youal for the info. on my front caliper.  I've broke or bent every tool I've used to brake the caliper apart.  Would someone tell me who has a caliper ,forsale or what nission caliper will work.  I've  stop trying to stop a motorcycle by dragging my feet along time ago. It's just cool for a old red neck. Rudyr

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
A rattle gun , or even a hand held impact should jar the caliper bolts loose , but unless the seals are leaking , don't think that is the problem Rudy .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
+1 on the don't disassemble the caliper unless there's a reason.

I was suggesting Nissin for the pump, not the calipers.  AFAIK the common Nissin calipers are usually a radial mount, which is sideways to the guzzi mount points. It would take some sort of adapter to make them work -- if they will work.

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
dose anyone have Aces Mo. @ st.joe mo. phone number( had it but) or e mail address. I know he eather has or know what will work for my 2000 jackal.  it's not long tell fool on the hill.  I've got to have the Jackal ready or it's the Harley or Triumph. rudyr

wildduck

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
Jackson Cycles

6425 S. Hwy 59

St. Joseph, MO 64504

816-238-3900

jacksoncycles@aol.com

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
well I've got another front caliper coming for the Jackal .  David M(can't spell his last name) from La.. He put on the Ar. rally this year..  He totaled out Steve old EV this summer when we came back from the Nat. in Ia. I talked to Mike at MPH and he said any EV right side would  work.  He did say their were two different thickness brake shoes.  I just hope Harper sold me the right ones.Rudy

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
Rudy , you are talking about David Welch . That bike has a 2 piston caliper , not the 4 piston your Jackal has .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
Rudy, Here's Ace's cell # I don't think he's @ Jackson anymore. Not even sure they are in bid-ness.

816-279-4714

John in Springfield, Mo.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
Dusty I tried the no. to Ace it's not connected.  I've got a plain if (my wife dosen't put a stop to it).  I've got $260+ master $10 used SS brake line. Front brake shoes(from Harper price ??) that and a caliper that will kind of work coming what a few more dollars.  Rudy

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
Good luck Rudy , sending a PM . Oh , maybe John can find another number for Ace .

Dusty

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
I've talked to some that think I may still have air in my system so.  Off to H.F. and bought a auto vacuum pump.  A few alteration and I should be ready to vacuum a brake system. Rudy

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »
The ratio of the master cylinder piston to the caliper piston area will influence the feel of the brake lever.  A piston that is to large at the master cylinder will cause the lever to fill wooden/solid and give very poor braking.  A piston that is to small at the master cylinder will feel like it never pumps up/mushy and will still have good brakes unless there is not enough  movement of the caliper piston due low fluid movement.  It is very important to use the correct ratio when replacing the master cylinder. 

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
I'm back,  I raise the caliper higher than the  master , and put a 1/4" flat strap between the pads on the caliper.  the master pumped up after a little bleeding. I've put  new shoes on but now the master dosen't pump up but I see the front disk flexing out a small amount.  Have I got the wrong shoes or what? Rudyr

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
If you still have air in the caliper try pushing the pistons in fully(I use wooden wedges) and then bleed again. That will help keep air from hiding behind the pistons when you bleed them.  It will sometimes push the air back to the master if it is in the lines.  Mike

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
If you still have air in the caliper try pushing the pistons in fully(I use wooden wedges) and then bleed again. That will help keep air from hiding behind the pistons when you bleed them.  It will sometimes push the air back to the master if it is in the lines.  Mike

That's probably what is happening. I use a re purposed Cajun injector, and fill the system from the caliper. Doing this pushes the air up through the master.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
Well I'm getting closer.  I remove the caliper from the lower leg then removed the pad's.  Then clamped down three pistons and pumped the master, moved the piston out about 1/4" cleaned and lub.  Then repeated 3 more times.  I think I just about their, ran out of day lite and time after a hard day at work.  work on it tomorrow.  But if that doesn't fix it I got parts.  Going to Houston this week end to MPH and pick up the Gray 2000 Jackal just like my Jackal But dual disk brakes.  And I've got tubeless wheels and it has dual disk, and about 40,000 less miles.  And dent tank but I called a guy in Ka.. with a tank forsale.  If that doesn't work Ace told me to put a new tunnel in the tank then remove the dent and end up with 6 gal. tank and KN air cleaner. 
That what he is running and no water injestion he said, and we all know how he rides. I'm going to mix and match  Jackal parts tell I get what I like and sell the other Jackal.Rudyr

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »
  cleaned and lub.    
Not with Oil I hope
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
brake pad cleaner then brake fluid. rudyr

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
It sounds like the new master cylinder piston is to small for your caliper.  You are not moving enough fluid to push the caliper pistons out.   If you add the second front brake set up, you will need to use a larger piston diameter master cylinder . 

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
I got it at MPH for a 2000 jackal.  The Jackal has a 4 piston caliper where the EV has 2, 2 piston calipers I,m told.rudyr

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
If I didn't know better I would think  I have a bad caliper but it's new.  I've taken the caliper off and placed a steel strap the same thickness as the disk.  When I pump the caliper up only two piston will move out (with them all blocked but one at a time they will all move out a 1/4") and the caliper doesn't tighten up.  Now their is no air in the system.  In my way of thinking It's the caliper.  Going to call tomorrow on price of a 4 piston unit.  If it's to much I'm going to take it to a Dealer and see what they find out. MPH is 10 hr. Tulsa is 4 hr.Rudyr

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here