Author Topic: (NGC) - Very interesting Perlan 2 glider attitude record project article  (Read 1765 times)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Attempt hoped to be made this summer in a purpose built glider to obtain level flight at 90,000 ft.+. That would be a new record for any kind of aircraft including the SR-71. Current glider record is just over 50K.

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/sailplane-stratosphere-180959154/

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
     Yes , interesting. I can't imagine any lift at all available at that altitude except for being over a rare freakish thunderstorm not somewhere I would care to be flying a fragile long winged plane. It better be extra strong. I wish them well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:36:27 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Actually once they are in the wave lift it is generally a super smooth ride and T-storms really have nothing to do with it. Once back low, flying through the rotor is what will be a rough ride for a bit.
Most glider are quite strong. I have flown a vintage WWII wood and fabric glider into rough enough turbelance that my vision was blurring. The glider didn't mind, just me.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

Interesting concept , using a glider to accomplish extreme altitude . No need for oxygen to power a jet , very light .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
...at 90,000 ft.

wow.  What Mach number will they be at?  You'd think that all the criticacl speeds would be converging.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Daniel, I think the article said at 90K it would still have about a 20 Kt window between stall and overspeed. It's ground speed will be about 400 mph. The U-2 at around 80K only has about a 5Kt window.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
How fast would you go being tugged by an AirBus 350?  That would be a real gas on take off!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

kirby1923

wow.  What Mach number will they be at?  You'd think that all the criticacl speeds would be converging.

Its about wing loading, span loading and adequate controls and aerodynamic devices , and the biggie  Reynolds numbers, not to mention crew environment.
At 100.000 feet the indicated airspeed would be 88kt (100 mph.) for Mach I. Should be fairly linear at those altitudes. So they will have a an indicated of somewhere in the 45 kt (50 mph,) range to make 400 true.
That would give a stall buffet speed of around 25 kt. Probably got some interesting aerodynamic devices.
Spoilers for roll and maybe a Gurney flap.

My bet is its not that good but if it even comes close, thats pretty fantastic!

A guess but... close.
Very exciting!!
BTW there is enough O2 to operate a internal combustion engine fine...at Mach III.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:21:44 PM by kirby1923 »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here