Author Topic: Any good riding in north Alabama?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Any good riding in north Alabama?
« on: August 08, 2022, 06:37:08 AM »
I’ve done what seems like a zillion trips to Deal’s Gap and north GA, all of which are always and forever enjoyable; however, I’m going to TN on Friday of this weekend and thinking of taking the bike and going on for several days of riding somewhere not too far off.  Of course, I love Chattanooga but I’ve pretty much ridden most of the great roads near there in GA and TN many times over.  One place I have never ridden, however, is the Birmingham, north Alabama area.  I’m just not sure if there is enough there to warrant the trip? 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any good riding in north Alabama?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 09:16:35 AM »
Years ago I rode out for a work trip. Can't remember the foundry but there are mountains (small) in AL. Try near Cheaha State Park. I think that's the area I was in. Also, around Ft. Payne. Hwy 11 I think it is.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
Years ago I rode out for a work trip. Can't remember the foundry but there are mountains (small) in AL. Try near Cheaha State Park. I think that's the area I was in. Also, around Ft. Payne. Hwy 11 I think it is.

-AJ

I've heard that it is referred to as the Grand Canyon of Alabama. Riding is supposed to be good though I've never spent anytime there.

https://www.nps.gov/liri/index.htm
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:15:33 AM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »
I live in north Alabama and we do most of our riding in Tennessee. There are a few nice roads between here and Birmingham around Smith Lake, but I'm not too familiar with the Birmingham area.
Except, of course, Barber Motorsports Park. It's a must see if you haven't been in a while. There's always something new.
If you've never been there, allow the whole day.

Cheers!
Craig
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:20:11 PM »
NE corner of Alabama has some nice riding.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 04:23:00 PM »
from Huntsville north into southern tenn is good.
Blue Guzz

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »
Alabama has some diverse and fantastic riding.

If you prefer the twisty road type environment, north Alabama has it best.  The foothills of Appalachian Mountain Range and the Appalachian Hiking Trail extend way down southeast of Birmingham near Sylacauga, Gomer Pyle's hometown and center of a huge limestone quarry industry that has supplied the white limestone for many government buildings in the US.  North and northeast Alabama would probably be of most interest to you.  Not only do you have ample hilly topography but you have a huge amount of water resources around Lake Guntersville (nice state park there) and the Tennessee River that courses through there.

Florence Alabama and Muscle Shoals is a quaint college town in the Northwest corner of the state situated on Wilson Lake and the Tennessee River.  Again, another nice place.

I've ridden all up there many times and sometimes I wonder why I so often bypass it and go on to North Carolina.  For something different, I suggest giving at a try.

Yes, Little River Canyon is a nice to ride there. Watch out for off-camber curves, though.  If you're in that area, barely cross over the Georgia border and check out Cloudland Canyon.  Try the hiking trail that runs down to the waterfall there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 10:01:29 AM by leafman60 »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »
If you haven’t been to Barbers Motorcycle Museum, it is a bucket list destination for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Depending on what you are riding there are plenty of good roads in that area.

Highway 25 between Leeds and Vincent is a good ride. I’m just across the state line in TN near I-65. Let me know where you are going to be and I can map out some routes for you.

If you are going to be in my area, I might could personally show you some of the roads in my back yard.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here