Author Topic: Use Your Head  (Read 777 times)

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
Use Your Head
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:46:49 AM »
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Use Your Head
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 10:59:01 AM »
The idea of being able to try on helmet at your local dealer must be only true for a few small select market areas. I've not had luck with this approach. I wish. I don't know if I could have a helmet tighter and more snug than my current one.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:59:23 AM »
Very useful - thanks for posting.

I have to say though, looking at that lady's face and how squished it is, I would think she'll have a headache inside of 5 minutes wearing that thing. I know tight is right with helmets, but that sure looks a lot tighter than I could deal with. My $0.02.

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »
The idea of being able to try on helmet at your local dealer must be only true for a few small select market areas. I've not had luck with this approach. I wish. I don't know if I could have a helmet tighter and more snug than my current one.

-AJ

I remember to take a clean helmet cool liner with me and have not been refused a fitting yet.
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »
Good info. and good article.  I remember purchasing a helmet that turned out was a bit too big for me.  I did not think much of it until I rode with it.  The helmet would slip forward and obstruct my vision...not good.  I only used it twice, which was once too many times.  I learned my lesson that fit is critical!  Make sure that the helmet fits!!
Tony

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 11:25:45 AM »
I didn't say they refused me. I'm saying it's difficult to find a dealership with helmets in enough sizes. Heck, sometime difficult to find a dealership with helmets!  I think I've been able to find a helmet in my size once at a dealership.  Sometimes I can find a helmet that I would never ever wear in my size but that usually doesn't translate to another helmet, even in the same brand. I've resorted to online trial and error, shipping back and forth.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »
I wish there was a way to test ride a potentially new helmet. Last year I purchased  a new Neotech ll. Noisiest helmet I ever owned even though most reviews said it was a quiet helmet. Dumped it on ebay. Used my old Nolan for the rest of the year. I just got a Schuberth on an open box special. I've only worn it around town but it seems pretty good.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »

Just use one of these <shrug>
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Redrider

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 07:02:02 PM »
Most manufacturers list a basic shell shape, long oval etc. for a particular line. Arai comes to mind. Bell products fit me perfectly but the same size in AGV and Vemar are a bit snug in the jaw/cheek area. Not enough to be a problem. Overly snug becomes just right after a few rides. Take a liner as previously stated and remember, dealers own the items. A lot of money on the shelf waiting for a return.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 07:13:20 PM »
I've just spent quite a while on the frustrating process of buying a new open face helmet that I can wear glasses with. There are literally a ton of choices out there BUT even when you find a retailer that stocks what you think may be a prospect they only carry a few sizes and not yours. I wasn't that fussy about brand or colour I just wanted a retailer that stocked a few option for me to try in 2 different sizes. Everyone has plenty listed on their website but they are just a forwarder and they don't stock a big range in their showroom. Makes me wonder how many people are riding around out there with sub optimal helmet fit because they have just bought on line without actual fitting prior to purchase.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:38:31 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 09:33:34 PM »
I’ve learned the hard way not to buy helmets without trying them on first, and not to ignore pressure points when trying on.  A small rub at the dealer can and will turn into a splitting headache after an hour on the road.  I found a helmet that fit very well, and ordered another right away and put it in the basement for later.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 05:48:37 AM »
I'm not saying this is for everybody, but I now only purchase one brand and the major reason is fitment

Strictly anecdotal but the helmet brands I've tried over the years, I find that each is styled for a different shape of head, some more subtle than others, as RedRider has pointed out.

The models that I recall didn't fit me well were AGV, Schuberth and Shoei, whereas I found Arais really comfortable.

Once had a Schuberth and although a good snug fit, it would start to give me a headache on a long ride. Changed to a thinner liner and padding, but it was still pretty awful. Nothing wrong with the helmet, more to do with helmet shape and the pressure points it applied to my mis-shaped head
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 05:49:34 AM by Old Jock »

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 08:57:04 AM »
Peter Egan once wrote that a helmet that doesn't fit at the beginning of a long trip,  will still not fit at the end.
I have been buying, or at least ordering helmets at Daytona bike week. Outside the track there are vendors that have a good selection. My current AGV was purchased there and shipped to my house.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
My FF helmet fits my head perfectly but mashes my cheeks together and is a b—-ch to pull on and off. I’d like to take some padding out of the cheek and chin area which I think would solve both problems. Guess I have fat cheeks. Lol.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here