Author Topic: Making my seat more comfortable in 2021  (Read 822 times)

Offline nashopolis

• New Egg
    • Isle of Printing
Making my seat more comfortable in 2021
« on: February 10, 2021, 09:39:06 PM »
Howdy Guzzi lovers

Can you all help me out?
I’m working towards getting my 2000 jackal / v-7 Lemans  hybrid ready for some longer rides (this year I hope!). 

See pic below for reference.

One thing I need to figure out for sure is the seat.
This seat starts killing my tail on rides over 30-45 minutes.  (See my trick beaded seat mod)

It’s an older seat so the foam isn’t fresh but I’m wondering if it’s just a little too narrow and the step is right where I sit.  One data point to consider.  I still have the floorboards on the bike so my feet are a bit I front of me rather than under me.  I feel like that might be part of the problem (angle of hips etc.)

I’ve been debating getting it refoamed and flattened  / widened a bit.  I worry I’ll mess up the original. Generally speaking I like to leave old parts alone and find spares to modify.  Which will get expensive in this case unless someone has a cheap v-7 sport pan laying around. 

Is this the price I pay for the stunning lines of a v-7 seat?

Are there other seats I should be thinking about?  Or something else outta the box?
What’s the most comfortable tonti seat?  And would it fit my Lemans tank.

I’m open to ideas!

Thanks!

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Making my seat more comfortable in 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 09:56:29 PM »
My guess is that the floorboards are too high and too far forward?  Are you sitting on your tailbone?
Getting rid of the boards and putting on some old fashioned pegs (which will require old-fashioned shift and brake pedals), will put your knees and legs lower. 
Good luck finding those- I haven't seen them advertised.  You could go full on rear sets, but then you would be crushing your cojones. 
And...the seat might be worn out.  I think mostly you should evaluate where the pressure points are in the seat and decide if a new seat will fix that or whether you need to change the ergonomics. 
I found the Jackal/EV seating to be tremendously uncomfortable (hunched back) and the the upright 'begging dog' position of the SP and the G5 to be very good for my body shape.  But we are probably not shaped the same, right!
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Gappy

• New Egg
  • StLouis MO
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:43:07 PM »
I had the same problem and had a Neds comfort seat made for it. I found it 1000 times better . The pic is after I received the first one and sent sent back for some adjustments. I got it at Neds auto and cycle Riverside IA. They still make them.

They make them to your personal needs . Call Neds and talk to Jimmy if it looks to be of your interest.
2003 Suzuki burgman an650
1994 Moto Guzzi California 1100
1992 BMW k75s
1983 Harley Davidson FLHT
1981 BMW r100rt
1981 Honda 650/4

Offline nashopolis

• New Egg
    • Isle of Printing
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »
Yep - The original jackal seat and position was terrible for me. 
Adding the sport seat got my knees below my hips which helps - feet forward is okay-ish I prefer feet under my hips.

I have a pile of parts I’ve collected to try to cobble together some mid-pegs.  I’m missing a few things to make the swap still.

I need to find a seat upholstery shop and see if they can flatten / refoam the seat and still use the original seat cover.  I want to keep the v-7 Lemans look. 

Willing to try other ideas too!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 06:57:04 AM »
Yep - The original jackal seat and position was terrible for me. 
Adding the sport seat got my knees below my hips which helps - feet forward is okay-ish I prefer feet under my hips.

I have a pile of parts I’ve collected to try to cobble together some mid-pegs.  I’m missing a few things to make the swap still.

I need to find a seat upholstery shop and see if they can flatten / refoam the seat and still use the original seat cover.  I want to keep the v-7 Lemans look. 

Willing to try other ideas too!

Frankly if your planning to move the pegs, I would do that before messing with the seat. Change of riding position changes everything, and your seat might be fine after a peg change.  Or your modded seat might be even worse then the old one was
Paul B

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
nash,

An easy thing to check-- make sure your seat is just slightly dished rather than dome-shaped.  The dish will relieve pressure on your tailbone and spread your weight across the seat.  Makes a big difference for me.  Use a sander to shape the foam just as you like.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:36:43 AM »
Re-foam the seat or find a convert seat.  DonG

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
Pat Mitchell at www.astechseat.com does a great job with feet forward seat mods.  Seriously good for that style riding position.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »
I also could never get comfortable on these model bikes. I’m not sure it’s the seat as much as the riding position. My fix for the issue is the placement of road pegs so I can get my knees down and the pressure  off my tailbone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:48:22 AM by Ncdan »

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:25:56 AM »
Modern V7 seats are terrible we had a Corbin made.Cool bike !

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
Nash

It looks like  jrt hit the nail on the head .

After seeing your bike/seat set-up , my first thought was to move your feet back under you hips , put some bars on it to move your body forward a bit and add a pair of tank pads for your knees to find their correct position.

I suspect your bike's corning ability is fixing to jump up a few notches  !

The seat looks to be nicely in the balance position .

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:37:55 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline nashopolis

• New Egg
    • Isle of Printing
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
All good advice - thanks everyone -  I know this is a subjective subject

As I think about it in the light of the day
Option 1:
It's probably worth trying the pegs out - I think I got stalled out on this the first time because I needed to grind a few things off to make it work.  I was reluctant to make permanent changes.  I have since sources some spare frame rails if I want to go back to stock.  I'm definitely trying to keep the fabrication work minimal if I can.  Once I head that direction I know I'll run into a question or two on getting the right linkages in place once I get into it.

Option 2:
If I leave the floorboards on I think I need to modify the seat.  If I do mod the seat maybe you all have some recommendations of a good person to work with (thanks KOF for the suggestion)

Option X:
Perhaps this is part just me doing some imagination exercises  but the other question I'm pondering is what seat works best with floorboards on a tonti frame WITH a Lemans tank... 
my line of thinking is perhaps bench seat is best with pegs?  something closer to a solo seat for floorboards?

What are the options and combos out there that you all like?  I'm sure you all have tried everything I could imagine and more.

appreciate y'alls time

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here