General Category > General Discussion

Replacing Brake Rotor Bolts

<< < (5/5)

Dirk_S:

--- Quote from: Mike Tashjian on January 22, 2022, 08:41:05 AM ---I use Lock tight whenever I need it.  Just another tool in the box.  It works well for it's intended purpose as does other methods of nut and bolt retention.  A well stocked work bench should be able to take care of most jobs you are comfortable tackling.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, I’m a single dude living in a small apartment with no shed/garage to work on the bike during crummier weather. At least gifted enough to have off-street parking, so I have something to be thankful for :)

The materialist in me (MORE TOOLS!!) is constantly at struggle with the pragmatic (how often will you USE it?) and minimalist (any more tools, Dirk, and you’ll have to sleep out on the porch). Hence why I choose to not buy the bearing puller mentioned in my Replacing Bearings thread.

This thread doesn’t seem to have any unanimous consensus regarding bolt material ‘ strength. I think I’ll spend some more time searching around. My thinking based off everyone’s comments tells me that flexible is better than brittle, weather resistance wins out above all, and that bolt head type really only needs to satisfy clearance. And I ride in winter here in New Hampshire, so perhaps the brine on the roads is a good enough threadlocker :D

lucky phil:

--- Quote from: Dirk_S on January 22, 2022, 09:11:42 AM ---Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, I’m a single dude living in a small apartment with no shed/garage to work on the bike during crummier weather. At least gifted enough to have off-street parking, so I have something to be thankful for :)

The materialist in me (MORE TOOLS!!) is constantly at struggle with the pragmatic (how often will you USE it?) and minimalist (any more tools, Dirk, and you’ll have to sleep out on the porch). Hence why I choose to not buy the bearing puller mentioned in my Replacing Bearings thread.

This thread doesn’t seem to have any unanimous consensus regarding bolt material ‘ strength. I think I’ll spend some more time searching around. My thinking based off everyone’s comments tells me that flexible is better than brittle, weather resistance wins out above all, and that bolt head type really only needs to satisfy clearance. And I ride in winter here in New Hampshire, so perhaps the brine on the roads is a good enough threadlocker :D

--- End quote ---

If it's of any use to you all my bikes both road and track use grade5 titanium rotor bolts with a copper based lube and no loctite. In all the bikes I've worked on in 50 years from WSB's, race bikes at the IOM and road bikes I've never used loctite on rotor bolts and never had one come loose or fail, steel or Titanium.

Ciao

Motormike:
Speaking of thread lock, has anyone used a product called Vibra-Tite?      https://www.vibra-tite.com/
Since the product is non-hardening, it sounds to me like a more suitable product for many applications than traditional Locktight.

John A:

--- Quote from: Motormike on January 23, 2022, 12:15:53 PM ---Speaking of thread lock, has anyone used a product called Vibra-Tite?      https://www.vibra-tite.com/
Since the product is non-hardening, it sounds to me like a more suitable product for many applications than traditional Locktight.

--- End quote ---

+1 on the vibra tite. It’s specified in some Enstrom helicopters in the maintenance manual. Don’t recall on what but it is good stuff. Doesn’t hurt plastics, generally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version