Author Topic: What/where is the damage to this 2007 Griso?  (Read 996 times)

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
What/where is the damage to this 2007 Griso?
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:25:37 PM »
This turned up when I searched 2007 Griso on google:

I tried to look at pictures, but cannot understand what/where is the serious damage.
The listing says its collision and at rear end. Rear wheel looks normal to me ( but I am no expert, so.)

Curious as to know what others think about it here.

There are some scuff marks on the left side of the gas tank near the gas cap.
Is the frame bent? Is there a damage to the shaft drive system somehow? as the listing says bike is 'stationary' ( as opposed to 'running' ).
Also there is Yellow light that comes on the dash, but could not understand from the sign on the light what it says/means.

Listing:

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetails/42658697?tenant=US&RowNumber=1
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R
2012(?) Grisso 1200 SE <- (thinking of selling)

Offline PilotJet

• New Egg
Re: What/where is the damage to this 2007 Griso?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 09:15:27 PM »
Looks like the rear fender is broken off just below the tail light. The yellow light on the dash means the kickstand is down.

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 09:47:21 PM »
I had a 2006, I don't believe the rear fender is broken, that's a soft plastic part thats missing, I took it off mine and fabed up a tail tidy from aluminium.
I don't have the part because I put it back on again before I sold it.
Low milage, It could be a real bargain depending what they are asking, worth about $3000 IMHO
The 2007 is a 4 valve motor, virtually bullet proof (no flat tappet issue)
After market exhaust
It has had bags fitted, you can see fittings below seat.
The gear pedal is broken, they snap like a carrot if you drop it, dont ask, about $100 for a replacement.
I think the exhaust may be a little dented by the LH peg.
I think any serious dammage would be quite apparent.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 09:59:25 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Dave_NWTrophy

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 12:06:16 AM »
Been down on the left side at a minimum.  Damage to the valve cover, shift lever, clutch lever.  Depending how hard it hit the head cover, it could mean big head/cylinder damage, or it could be fine.  You'd have to physically examine it to be sure.

Dave

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 12:06:16 AM »

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 01:13:52 AM »
from the listing:
Actual Cash Value:
$4,506 USD
Estimated Repair Cost:
$4,335 USD

sounds like an insurance write off. even if the claim adjusters were generous don't let your eyes deceive you!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:14:47 AM by aklawok »
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 11:04:42 AM »
I would buy that for $171!! 

But seriously, looking at the pictures, I don't see $4335 worth of damage.  I know many claims adjusters will see a scratch on a frame or swingarm etc and put down to replace them.

Buying it would be an interesting adventure!  Shipping it from Florida to CA will probably be around $800 or more. 

Any guess what prices go for at an auction place like this? 

Would be fun reading if you bought it and posted up the "auction house to running again" saga.
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:59:10 AM »
CoPart will list the vehicle as runs, runs & drives or not running. Maybe I missed it but did not notice anything about it running or not. Also have to see what the title status is as it currently listed as "Wait Title"??? But if someone near by could see it in person it may be too good of a deal to pass up.......  :evil:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 01:33:48 PM »
My Cal had less damage than that when I bought it as an insurance total. The shop writing the damage estimate could have exaggerated the damage because the owner wanted it gone... Having worked in a couple bike shops I found that insurance adjusters were pretty ignorant about bikes.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:22:48 PM »

If as they say "Rear Damage", and the wheel is bent they may have written off the Carc too. There's your 4 thou, easily.

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 03:55:28 PM »
Overall, that doesn't look too bad, but if it took a hard rear shot, the CARC swing arm bushings or CARC may be cracked or boogered up close to the pivot. Looks like the reaction rod is not bent, and the rim and tire look good, so maybe a bump from the rear that snapped the fender and caused the owner to dump on the left side. Looks like the rear fender broke off, buggered up shift lever, some road rash on the left exhaust collector. The Exhaust (Termigoni?) has some road rash as does the clutch lever end and front left TS, and the left side head protector and spark plug cap looks boogered. All potential minor cosmetics, but I would want to see the shift lever and spark plug cyl head more close up. I also see some condensation inside the gauge pack, which could be a problem. It has likely been left outside.

It is likely NOT running given the left plug situation, and if it is just a matter of a new black cover, plug, plug end and maybe wire and the shifter pivot is not cracked or broken, for the RIGHT price (under $500) this could be a fun project. If you can live with a little road rash, and if the rear swing arm pivots, CARC, and linkage are good, the shift lever mount and left head is good, you could have it up and running on the cheap, probably less than $400 including a new rear fender eliminator kit.

The yellow light in the dash is the kickstand down, and FWIW, the aluminum bobbins under the rear seat are NOT for connecting luggage, they are basically to hook a seat net to.

Keep us posted!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:57:47 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
Overall, that doesn't look too bad, but if it took a hard rear shot, the CARC swing arm bushings or CARC may be cracked or boogered up close to the pivot. Looks like the reaction rod is not bent, and the rim and tire look good, so maybe a bump from the rear that snapped the fender and caused the owner to dump on the left side. Looks like the rear fender broke off, buggered up shift lever, some road rash on the left exhaust collector. The Exhaust (Termigoni?) has some road rash as does the clutch lever end and front left TS, and the left side head protector and spark plug cap looks boogered. All potential minor cosmetics, but I would want to see the shift lever and spark plug cyl head more close up. I also see some condensation inside the gauge pack, which could be a problem. It has likely been left outside.

It is likely NOT running given the left plug situation, and if it is just a matter of a new black cover, plug, plug end and maybe wire and the shifter pivot is not cracked or broken, for the RIGHT price (under $500) this could be a fun project. If you can live with a little road rash, and if the rear swing arm pivots, CARC, and linkage are good, the shift lever mount and left head is good, you could have it up and running on the cheap, probably less than $400 including a new rear fender eliminator kit.

The yellow light in the dash is the kickstand down, and FWIW, the aluminum bobbins under the rear seat are NOT for connecting luggage, they are basically to hook a seat net to.

Keep us posted!

What is CARC ?

I am/will be considering to take a risk/bet of making an offer of about $550-$650, hoping it turns out to be not the worst case scenario.
It would have been nice if bike was closer to me, so that I can go and look at it. But its in FL and I am in CA. Seems I have no/limited options.
Lets see what I decide on/do..
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »

CARC is the rear transmission or differential assembly  See pic................ .........

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 03:26:02 PM »

Keep us posted!

After another closer look at the rear wheel ( from rear view pic ), I am getting a strongish feeling that the rear wheel is alignment is bent to left side ( from rear view pic ), or it could be just my eyes.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 11:13:25 AM »
I thought the same thing although it could be the camera angle.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »
It is a bit of a gamble.  At this point, someone added up parts to fix it and came up with $4335.  How much of that is "gotta do it" vs. "scratch on the frame", who knows.

Worse case you have to part it out.  A royal pain in the butt!  But you could recover some (all?) of your money that way. 

I looked at some of the other auctions and saw other $4500 ish value bikes were selling at around $3000!  Didn't see any going for like $1000 or $1500.

Also it seems a "theft recovery" bike was in better shape than a "crashed and repair amount > value, so totaled" bike.  Meaning, theft recovery bikes seemed to have a key problem and maybe light drop, scuffs.  And insurance paid those out because they were stolen.  A crashed bike seems to really be crashed!  And if you think about it, if you owned a bike, dropped it, $500 worth of damage, you would just fix it yourself.  You would only give it up to insurance if it was really beat up and you didn't want it anymore. 

But ... maybe the odd Griso will be overlooked by auction bidders and you can grab it for $750!! 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 04:16:34 PM »
I think left head has damage too. I don't know what they sell for without damage, but you don't have 4k to repair as counting to what you can sell it for.
For the money it should not have to much damage to make it a nice deal.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here