General Category > General Discussion

Help: 2004 Breva 750 engine dies at stop.

(1/12) > >>

MotoGuzzi750:
Hi experts,

2004, Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE, ~20k miles:

About 2 weeks back, I was near end of about an hours drive stopped at the red signal, clutch pressed in, in first gear, waiting -- when the engine suddenly went dead/stopped.

I tried to re-start the engine, but could not get the bike to crank.

I pushed the bike to nearby parking lot, tried to crank few times, no luck.

I was about the call towing after 5-10 mins, when it cranked and started ! ( such a relief ! )

I drove around parking lot just to make sure bike was working, when it died again !

I repeated the same, i.e., waited for 5-10 mins, and it cranked and started, after which I was able to drive home.

I have not driven it after this, and have not checked anything yet.

What could be the problem?
This has not happened before.
Could it be bad side stand switch? or it is starting relay/some fuse/something else?

Today, I was able to check that starting relay is makes 'click' sound when start button is pressed.
( I have to re-charge the battery since it is non-operational since my last drive about 2-3 weeks back, so could not get bike to start, it just gave a weak crank ).

- Where to I start ?

( After re-charging the battery, even though it maybe able to start and drive, I want to find and repair the original problem, so that I don't get stranded in the middle of traffic )

Thanks in advance for your help !

malik:
First, fix the battery. You can't do any reliable fault finding without a good battery. Have yours load-tested & recharged, or replaced.  It could well be your problem.

chuck peterson:
Bat tree..

Takes a charge but not holding it…slowly draining while riding until no go..i had a bike do that. I left the turn signal on, next town over it died. Wait 15 mins and the battery recovered just enough to start, but several miles later, konk

Unless it’s the charging system not doing it’s job, in which case I’ve heard of people getting home from a rally by stopping at walwart every few hours and exchanging the now dead battery with a fresh one…neat trick

sign216:
The 750 is tough on batteries because there's a parasitic drain, even when the bike is shut off.  Most late model cars and bikes have this, but the Breva and V7 were ahead of their time in getting this fault early on.

Kiwi_Roy:
I think this is the schematic.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_750_Breva.gif
Learn how to hot wire the starter solenoid Brown yellow wire to the hot terminal of the solenoid then at least you should be able to spin the motor over.
Brevas have always been prone to Startus Interrupts caused by a weak feed to the start relay but I have no clue why it stopped while running, perhaps a failure of the RPM sensor dropped out the Main Injection relay, I often advocate connecting a small lamp to that as a troubleshooting aid

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version