General Category > General Discussion

who has a good recomendation for oil grade and type

(1/12) > >>

giusto:
Hello,

I am sure there are many opinions regarding oil grade and type...but I'm relatively new here so thanks for understanding.

I have a 2001 Jackal and am in the process of putting on a new "outsider" from harpers. I just got the bike in January and was looking for recommendations for oil grade and type.

I live in NW Lower Michigan and we generally can expect frost until about the first of June and daytime temps from 50's to 90's.

10-40? 20-50? others?  who has a favorite refining company...and why?

Thanks

Giusto

rocker59:
Read the recommendation in the owners manual.

No owners manual?

The old-school dino oil for old-school Guzzis is Castrol 20w-50.

Me?  I'd go to Autozone and buy Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w50 and never look back.  It's made for the harsh service of an air-cooled V-twin motorcycle and has lots of ZDDP (zinc) to keep your lifters and cam happy.

Chuck in Indiana:
Look for SG on the bottle.

oldbike54:
Gi , you have no idea what a can of worms this is  :D  I own an '01 Jackal , 120 K miles , always had 20W50 dino Valvoline , that is what the previous owner used for the first 100 K miles , see no reason to change . Of course , the next post will will call me stupid and recommend something completely different  ::) ;D

Dusty

ken farr:

--- Quote from: oldbike54 on April 02, 2015, 11:03:09 PM ---Gi , you have no idea what a can of worms this is  :D  I own an '01 Jackal , 120 K miles , always had 20W50 dino Valvoline , that is what the previous owner used for the first 100 K miles , see no reason to change . Of course , the next post will will call me stupid and recommend something completely different  ::) ;D

Dusty

--- Quote ---
.....my,my,my, that is soooo stooopid, I totally recommend something else.......

;D

( oh boy, an oil thread     ;-T)

kjf
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version