Author Topic: Looking for value on several old bikes with zero miles. "Barn find"  (Read 31170 times)

dtosh

Let me start off with a howdy.  I now nothing about motorcycles, I'm a car guy.  I  love post on the Mustang forum I lurk at on "barn finds".  Well I have a Motto Guzzi barn find.  I'm trying to help the lady out that I know.  Her husband passed, the were a dealer in the 70s and 80s.  She has several bikes that have zero miles on them.  They have been inside all there life, they are just dusty.

I'm looking for a value on these bikes. 1982 V50 III, 1980 1000 AT, 1979 G5 1000, 1973 Lemans, and 1980 Police Special 1000.

She has a couple more but this is all the info I currently have. 

I'll attach a few pics as soon as I figure out how.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline daytonars97

• Hatchling
Re: Looking for value on several old bikes with zero miles. "Barn find"
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
Yes, it does.  Interesting collection.  The V7 sport could be worth real $$.  Where are they located?
Honda CTX1300D "HUZZI"
1988 R100rs
1992 R100r
1995 R1100rsl
1997 Daytona rs

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
yes - the thumbnails don't show, but if you click on them, the images are visible.  Nice stuff!
 :drool
Nick

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »

dtosh

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
The location shall remain undisclosed at this time.   ;-T

Any idea on values?? Ball park.

Dave

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
Dave, that's quite the find! Zero miles? Really? The V7 Sport, it's a 1974 model and is probably the most valuable, very collectable. it's hard to say what it would bring at auction. Probably mid to high teens. The other bikes don't really have a collector value, they would be bikes that someone would want to ride so, you'd have to consider the cost of getting them rideable when putting a price on them. When you get more info let me know. Joe
Joe Walano

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
I would think the V7 Sport would have a lot of value to a collector but hard to provide a number. If you plan to sell as-is, I would recommend putting it in a motorcycle specific auction.

The rest don't have a lot of value as collector bikes and having zero miles may actually deter buyers as they will need work to be ride-able. For the V7 I would not attempt to start it since the bores could be bad and you run the risk of doing severe damage.

They may all need seals, tanks cleaned, carbs cleaned, and other work. Naturally if you get them all cleaned up and running reliably, they will be worth a lot more. How much is hard to say. Put them up on Ebay and find out.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
The location shall remain undisclosed at this time.   ;-T

Dave

To be honest, it's going to be really hard to tell.   The tinware, paint, castings, and all the other metal parts will probably be in great shape and just need cleaning.

All the rubber parts, tires, carburetor internals, seals (fork, shaft, boots, etc) and soft stuff on each bike will have to be replaced.  Parts-wise, that's probably in the $600 - $800 range.   Labor-wise, most folks who would buy one of these bikes would do it themselves.    Charlie Mullendore could tell you what it would cost you if HE did that for you.

The V7 Sport is a special case, being such a collector item, and would probably bring $15,000 or more.   The others, I'm guessing an average of $2,000 - $3,000 each?    

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

dtosh

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
Joe,

Yes really, one has like 20 miles on it, some say 2 or 5 on the odometer, probably from just being pushed around the shop.  There is also an old Ducati 500, I don't know anything more on that one yet.  She lives a couple hours from me, next time I can go there I will get more info.

Thanks for the help.  

Bill Havins

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
Dave,

Lannis hit the nail on the head.  Making any of these bikes dependably rideable is a crap shoot.  There are many, many seals that will likely need to be replaced.  And no telling what kinds of other "stuff" one might get into.  If gas was left in their tanks - oh, boy!

As Lannis suggested, if you are on the east coast and have the desire, Charlie would be an excellent one to check them over for you.  Most of us would trust his opinion without question.

I would be happy to talk to you about the SP.  I had one exactly like it many years ago.

Good luck!

Bill

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
As everyone has said the value is in the V7 sport.  However at a motorcycle specific auction who knows....  Mecum in Las Vegas is coming up soon (jan 8-9-10).  You would have to act fast to get in there.  Barn finds seem to be the new big thing at auction.  Couple that with NOS and I think you may see 3-5K ea and 15K + for the V7 less auction fees and transport.  There's a NOS Harley coming up with the original shipping crate and the auction flyer makes a big deal out of it....  I'll be there and happy to help if I can.  Dave.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
 :drool
How many miles on the V7 SPORT ?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
Every one of them would make an interesting "project" but that's what they are. Naturally, the V7 Sport is the valuable one. The least would be the V50, although it would make someone a great project, too. I'd say it will bring 2-3 large if NOS. The others are a mixed bag, but I'd say 3-4K each, except for the sport, of course. I agree with the 15K price point on it. Don't even try to start it up, though.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
Every one of them would make an interesting "project" but that's what they are. Naturally, the V7 Sport is the valuable one. The least would be the V50, although it would make someone a great project, too. I'd say it will bring 2-3 large if NOS. The others are a mixed bag, but I'd say 3-4K each, except for the sport, of course. I agree with the 15K price point on it. Don't even try to start it up, though.

If you do not understand Guzzis then understand that Chuck said DO NOT EVEN TRY TO START THE V7 SPORT for good reason.  V7 and other big block engines from that era had chrome bores that were prone to flaking off and totally destroying an otherwise perfectly good engine. One start with chrome floating around , even in fresh oil can do the engine major damage in just a warm up. So take Chuck's advice and leave it sit. I believe the SP has steel bore engine am I correct about that one?
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
I think you are getting pretty good honest answers. Keep us posted on where and how these end up being sold. I'm sure a few us here would love to have a fair shot at them. I like the G5 and the SP models personally. Will these have documentation with them, as in... will they be able to be titled properly? That would make a big difference I think.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
I think you are getting pretty good honest answers. Keep us posted on where and how these end up being sold. I'm sure a few us here would love to have a fair shot at them. I like the G5 and the SP models personally. Will these have documentation with them, as in... will they be able to be titled properly? That would make a big difference I think.

I want the V50 III, I hope it still has the new warranty?  ;D  ;)

Yep all good advice so far. Having Charlie take a look would be a great idea. I know it's sounds corny... but I hope they find good homes and are ridden. The V7 Sport might end up a museum piece, which to me is too bad. But if you are helping a widow make some money I hope you can get her as much as possible. $15k for a stock V7 Sport sound about right from the sales I've seen online.

-Joe

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

If you do not understand Guzzis then understand that Chuck said DO NOT EVEN TRY TO START THE V7 SPORT for good reason.  V7 and other big block engines from that era had chrome bores that were prone to flaking off and totally destroying an otherwise perfectly good engine. One start with chrome floating around , even in fresh oil can do the engine major damage in just a warm up. So take Chuck's advice and leave it sit. I believe the SP has steel bore engine am I correct about that one?

Depends. The late '80 SPs had Nigusil cylinders. The early ones were steel.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »

Dave

The valuation of bikes shall remain undisclosed at this time ;-T

Actually the root beer brown V50 might surprise all of you in the money it can bring. Recently sold mine for a lot more than I thought it would.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:40:59 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Depends. The late '80 SPs had Nigusil cylinders. The early ones were steel.

I believe the Nigusil cylinders on SPNTs started in `83.  A LM III should have Nig. cylinders.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:53:23 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »
Not much more to add other than I think the value of all aside from the Sport will probably end up being pretty equal.  I mean, for me, that 1000SP is the bee's knees.  But someone else will go nutso over the root beer V50.  I'd guess the sale range to be 2-5k.

The real bottom line here is that the high end of the pricing (4-5k) is what I'd pay for a *running* one of those bikes, in great shape, with some miles.  With these as they sit I know I'll probably have to throw 1k at each to get them up and on the road, plus my time.  At auction just as is I'd guess 2-3k.

The Sport is a completely different story.  That's where you're breaking the 10k mark, just as is.

Just....don't try to start any of these up until they've been gone through a bit.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
A few years ago Mark Etheridge found a T-3 surrounded by a bush in L.A. outside who knows for how many years.  Don't know what all he did to it but he started it up @ a Guzzi Rally in
San Diego and the thing ran smoother & quieter than any other Guzzi I'd ever heard run !  Far as I know he didn't do much to it before running it.  He named it Tetanus.

If I got 1 of these bikes(other than chrome cylinders), since they've been inside all the time, I wouldn't hesitate to run them as is first to see if they leak or not.  When you drop the sump you can see the underside of the cylinders, crank, etc.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:13:55 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
A few years ago Mark Etheridge found a T-3 surrounded by a bush in L.A. outside who knows for how many years.  Don't know what all he did to it but he started it up @ a Guzzi Rally in
San Diego and the thing ran smoother & quieter than any other Guzzi I'd ever heard run !  Far as I know he didn't do much to it before running it.  He named it Tetanus.

If all I was going to do was to start the bike up every once in a while, and truck it to rallies to start it up as a novelty, I might do the same.

But if I'm going to take it cross-country on a trip (which is what I do with my Guzzis), I believe I'd strip it and start over ...  ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

dilligaf

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »

If I got 1 of these bikes(other than chrome cylinders), since they've been inside all the time, I wouldn't hesitate to run them as is first to see if they leak or not.  When you drop the sump you can see the underside of the cylinders, crank, etc.  ;D
:+1
My LS is a 1982 and when I purchased it three years ago in Chicago it had 12K miles on it and was covered with dust.  Started it up and road it home.  Last year I road it to Alaska.  No leaks.
The 83 SP set for several years before I purchased it.  Loaded it on a trailer, got it home, aired up the tires and have been riding it every since.
If they an't broke don't Oh never mind.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
If all I was going to do was to start the bike up every once in a while, and truck it to rallies to start it up as a novelty, I might do the same.

But if I'm going to take it cross-country on a trip (which is what I do with my Guzzis), I believe I'd strip it and start over ...  ;-T

Lannis

Agreed. The only things these bike potentially have going for them are originality and cosmetics may be savalagavle with some elbow grease. But mechanically they need attention. For the big blocks I'd budget and additional $1000 to $1,500 if you can do a lot of work yourself. If relying on a shop I would double the budget not inclusive of cylinder chrome remediation. Heck a handful of rubber parts, caliper rebuild kits and new brake hoses will set you back about $400.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »
The "don't start" advice was specific to the V7 .

Dusty

Right.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

dtosh

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
This is one active forums!  Thanks for all the great advice!  I will definitely let you all know when and were these get listed to sell.  I won't have any more information until next week.  I'm going to get more details and figure out what all she has.

This is kinda fun, it's like a treasure hunt.   :)

Thanks again,
Dave

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Gone are my hopes of low balling the '73 LeMans.  ::)  :'(
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
It's pretty clear so far nobody wants the G5, might as well shoot it my way and be done with it  :BEER:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »
It's pretty clear so far nobody wants the G5, might as well shoot it my way and be done with it  :BEER:

Just a second there...

Offline goozy

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
If the 500 Ducati is a vertical twin(probably) dig a big hole and bury it!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here