Author Topic: Anheuser-Busch advertising hypocrisy  (Read 29771 times)

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anheuser-Busch advertising hypocrisy
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:46 AM »
One of the great things about Bike Week besides the bikes is you can get both Bud and Busch. Such a deal. :BEER:

Pete

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
A friend told a story about how his Grandfather would pour beer into a dish to control the slug population in his garden .

That works really well.  One year slugs were messing up our tomatoes, so my wife cut windows around plastic soda bottles, but a little beer in them, and buried them so the windows were at ground level.  Slugs committed suicide by the dozens, and the bottles kept most other critters out.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »
My neighbor and friend is an executive with Goose Island, a medium-sized brewery purchased by AB Inbev a couple of years ago, so I am biased...

Remember that advertising is about associating an image--like that dopey pickup truck commercial that literally states that "a truck makes you cool and sexy." Never mind if you have no need of a truck.

Similarly, what the Bud ads are saying is: "It's okay to drink our watery, bitter lager. You/we're your own type of cool."
As advertising, it's dangerous, kind of like "we're not your father's Oldsmobile." Young people scoffed, and old Oldsmobile drivers were insulted.

That said, I do not like Budweiser, and I do like the Goose Island products, especially The Muddy and motor-oil-like Bourbon County Stout. The ownership of Inbev has not had a detrimental effect on GI quality.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
I have yet to understand the big deal about all the overpriced craft beers. Yes some of it is pretty good but is it twice or three times better than a bud or a blue ribbon? I personally don't think so

;-T  I think that's where they're comin' from.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline gary martin

• Gaggle Hero
  • My train of thought runs on a short track.
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
I'm already tired of the latest A-B TV ad campaign for Budweiser beer. I guess they are trying to convince red-blooded American men that only pussies drink craft beers. Funny thing, though. The parent company has recently been purchasing microbreweries and is trying to purchase many more. Oh well....I've never been a Bud fan anyway....

Jon

There's not much to say about a beer that advertises with horses and puppies.    ;)
04 Guzzi evT, 11 Suzuki V Strom, 84 Honda CT110, 70 BMW R50/5

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »
One of the great things about Bike Week besides the bikes is you can get both Bud and Busch. Such a deal. :BEER:

Pete

the Bike Week treat for us flat-landers west of the Mississippi is Yuengling and 50 cent oysters.    ;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »
Jim , I use the term skunky loosely . It is really the hoppy taste that is pleasing to me , Pilsner as opposed to lager or IPA . Or , as a friend puts it  "beer that fights back"  :D

Dusty

Ahem...IPA is a hoppy beer. That's what gives it the distinctive flavor.

Back in the day to us a skunked beer was one that had gone bad due to poor storage methods and not being pasteurized.
Little did I know later in life I would be building bottle washers and beer pasteurizers.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
It looks like the ad campaign is a success, even has a bunch of grumpy snowed in motorcycle owners burning up the keypads about it. Yes I'm one of them.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
You sir have obviously never tasted Theakston's old Peculiar hand pumped by a buxom wench straight from the oak barrel barrel.
https://www.theakstons.co.uk/Ales/Old-Peculier/

No, but, I have tried many vairants in Germany, served frequently by the German barmaids, includint one trip to Munich for Oktoberfest.

And hand made craft beers of many type fresh from the vat.

I just don't like the ales and beers.  Not picky.  I don't like most wine either. 

"I don't drink much, but when I do, I prefer good whiskey"  :D  :D  :D
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
It looks like the ad campaign is a success, even has a bunch of grumpy snowed in motorcycle owners burning up the keypads about it. Yes I'm one of them.

That might be true if any of us could remember what the ad was for  :o :D We need an old guy emoticon  ;D

Dusty

the Bailey

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »
Stella better known this side of the pond as 'wife beater'.

Only see Bud in supermarkets these days in large packs heavily discounted so not very popular anymore.

Craft beer is a marketing ploy to charge extra for keg beer which to us is real ale (cask) pasturised, chilled  and filled with gas, basically ruined.

huh?  when i splurge i have duvel or maredsous. top of the line. though i did get an IPA in abq called la cumbre. it was pretty damn good.  i would consider those craft beers. stella is a joke its just a marketing campaign, nothing more.  thats like calling rolling rock a craft beer

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »
You sir have obviously never tasted Theakston's old Peculiar hand pumped by a buxom wench straight from the oak barrel barrel.
https://www.theakstons.co.uk/Ales/Old-Peculier/

Check that spelling.   :)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
Glad we have a lot of craft brews around here.  Budweiser is a poor copy of a pilsener from Budovice, Czech republic.  Budweiser is the german spelling.  Budovice cannot sell it's superior product in the US and call it by it's original name.  Too bad, it's much better than the fizzy budwater.
Incidentally the term pilsener is the german name for a beer style invented in Plzen, Czech republic- a well-hopped lager.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
When it comes to beer, I have two words:
Pilsner Urquell. :BEER:
Kirk

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
Pilsner Urquell. :BEER:

Yep .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »

When it comes to beer, I have three words:

Where's The Whiskey ?

:BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
The Bud drinkers of old are either drinking Bud Light, Coors Light or Macro/Micro Craft.  The Bud brand is is getting squeezed out.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/188723/top-domestic-beer-brands-in-the-united-states/

Bud is still the number 4 beer in world wide sales behind number 3 Bud Light. That translates into a lot of suds and $$$. The top 2 are Chinese brands. That shows you the power of advertising. For us old guys, there was not much available in the craft or import sector when we were young. I do remember a lot of smaller local breweries, but they either closed down or got bought out. It stands to reason with the vastly bigger selection of beers available today that most old brands are going to take a hit I'll regardless of their quality. I have said for many many years, if I could choose any business to own, it would be an Anheuser-Busch distributorship. Not that I'm looking for free beer or anything!  :BEER:  http://www.thestreet.com/story/12755706/9/10-best-selling-beer-brands-in-the-world.html
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
80,000 Americans are killed by alcohol each year, and we are told that a terrorist is going to kill you in a shopping mall.  You are 22 times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on the way to the mall.  

Don't drink and drive/ride.

Climbing off my soap box now.

I like beer, I don't drink bud.  I  buy many kinds of beer and rarely by the mass produced beer or the same brand or flavor.  I have friends and family members that have made some very good stuff.  Beer is not just for breakfast.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »
80,000 Americans are killed by alcohol each year, and we are told that a terrorist is going to kill you in a shopping mall.  You are 22 times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on the way to the mall.  

Where'd you get that statistic?

Because I saw a 2005 NBC article that quoted something from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm)which is similar to their current claim of 88k... but they don't back numbers up like the NBC article did and which differs GREATLY from the NHTSA:

The NBC article claimed the CDC was saying almost 40k/year from drunk related car crashes, and NHTSA is saying about 10k.

http://responsibility.org/drunk-driving/drunk-driving-fatalities-national-statistics

2013 stats:

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 32,719 people died in traffic crashes in 2013 in the United States (latest figures available), including an estimated 10,076 people who died in drunk driving crashes, accounting for 31% of all traffic deaths that year.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »
Where'd you get that statistic?

Because I saw a 2005 NBC article that quoted something from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm)which is similar to their current claim of 88k... but they don't back numbers up like the NBC article did and which differs GREATLY from the NHTSA:

The NBC article claimed the CDC was saying almost 40k/year from drunk related car crashes, and NHTSA is saying about 10k.

http://responsibility.org/drunk-driving/drunk-driving-fatalities-national-statistics

2013 stats:

The 80,000 is a rounded number of all alcohol related deaths.  Wiki has a page with all terrorist acts, locations, type of action, country, and number of deaths.  Less than 3,600 world wide in 2014.  I follow the terrorist propaganda because I believe it is a tactic by our elected officials to encourage Americans to give up our freedoms, liberties and civil rights. 

Climbing off my soap box again. 

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Little known now, but in the '50s the best selling beer in the US was.....Schlitz.  This Saturday I plan to put some of these beer choices to the test as I sit at a beach side bar just south of Flagler Beach, Florida......with a bucket of beers and a plate of fresh oysters.  Craft beer will be hard to come by but I'll try.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
 The headline reads

56 million people die worldwide every year

The UN reports that 56 million people die every year from ... well ... something .

Dusty

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:58 PM »
The headline reads

56 million people die worldwide every year

The UN reports that 56 million people die every year from ... well ... something .

Dusty

Dusty, my point exactly.  And most all are from life style choices, not at the hands of other.  I hope to die from my life style choices.
Long way from drinking beer topic but not to far from the refrigerator where the cold stuff is. Several flavors and proofs always on hand.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 03:10:30 PM »
Little known now, but in the '50s the best selling beer in the US was.....Schlitz.  This Saturday I plan to put some of these beer choices to the test as I sit at a beach side bar just south of Flagler Beach, Florida......with a bucket of beers and a plate of fresh oysters.  Craft beer will be hard to come by but I'll try.

Peter Y.

First beer I tasted was a Schlitz sitting on my aunts knee. Still like it and buy it often $5.11 for a sixer of 16 oz cans. I like it just fine
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 03:15:10 PM »
Bud Light...proof you can sell anything.

At one time Falstaff outsold Bud in St. Louis!
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »
They are making Fall City beer again also.  It is a pale ale and is much better than the old formula. 

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »
Was at a beach bar in Florida years back. The waitress came by and said there was someone there from A-B, and he was going to buy everyone a free round of A-B beer. I had a Yuengling.

:BEER:

Unfortunately you probably only had the lager to pick from. Yuengling Premium and Lord Chesterfield ale are both far superior to the lager ;-T.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

lee swanger

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
I buy Bud Light and Coors Light and they are real good. I will only drink any beer ice cold. If I was wealthy (like some of you), I would buy more of the specialty beers.

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
Everyone knows "Good old Blatz is best" At least better than "New Blatz"  :BEER:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 05:57:03 PM »
     About 10 years ago I was a Budweiser drinker, but my taste buds must have changed or the beer changed. Now I am one of the big pussies they are inferring. Don't really give a damn what anyone thinks- I ride a Guzzi- same mind set/ attitude.  
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here