Author Topic: I've cheated and feel dirty  (Read 38145 times)

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: I've cheated and feel dirty
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 03:09:28 AM »
i had one for a short while,
two observatios:
suspension on the monsters barely adequate,
if you are considering better suspension for the griso , you will be shocked by the monster
having said that , ohlins ducati suspension come up for sale pretty often , and make a amazing difference

Setting the valves is a pain, i still own a couple of ducati's,  the reason i do most of my riding on guzzi's is i get fed up with working on these things.
a monster is a perfect bike to borrow, enjoy the bike and let somebody else worry about maintenance :-)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 05:02:09 AM »
As Rocker said FCR's really wake these little devils up. Too bad they cost about $1,000 :(

The notchy throttle is probably more a function of the extra tall gearing. Up the rear sprocket 2 teeth and 1st gear actually becomes usable. You can get lighter springs or remove two springs from the pressure plate to ease up the pull. Belts should be changed just because you don't know how old they are (every two years or 12K). I run mine at least 3 or 4 years but don't get close on mileage. Valve adjustments as other said don't involve black magic and after they "bed" in rarely need to be re shimmed. The valves on my 900ss were adjusted several thousand miles ago when I bought it and I won't check then again until I hit 7 to 10k.

$2,500 in my area is an okay price $2,000 to $2,250 is better. Most current bike buyers are not interested in "small" 750cc motors. They are also afraid of 16 year old bikes thinking a motorcycle certainly can't last that long. Then throw in suggested maintenance intervals and you have a bike that everybody loves to look at but are afraid to buy. You have a bit of an upper hand as a buyer.

Good luck.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 05:38:43 AM »
Last week I stopped by Eurosports to inquire about servicing Jenn's Duc. They felt 3-4 years was fine on the belts (which is good cause we're approaching 4 now).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

danketchpel

Re: Re: Re: I've cheated and feel dirty
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »
I have a friend with a hotrod 1998 M750 and another friend with a hotrod 1997 M900.

Neither of them ride anymore.  Both bikes could be bought.

It sure is tempting.

They're lots of fun.  Especially with FCR carbs, fancy suspension, and big brakes!

:bike

The price seems reasonable but I'd check around to see what else it's available just to make sure. I might even try to ride another one as a comparison.

I love my Sport Classic. The naked Ducs aren't too hard to work on. Ya the valves are more involved than most bikes but the 2 valve air cooled motors are pretty solid.

You can upgrade to the MBP valve keepers which really helps to hold the tolerance. You can usually push the inspection out to 10k miles with them. They aren't expensive (~$170) and can be installed at the next valve service. I put them in my bike when I did the valves recently. The timing belts are easy to change and you can get aftermarket belts from ca-cycleworks for half the cost of OEM belts. I put in a set of them recently and they work fine but are a tad noisier than the OEM belts. They "sing" just a tiny bit but it's no big deal.

Everything else on the bike is straight forward.

My only word of caution is Ducati learned their parts pricing from BMW, the stuff costs! But with the recent takeover from Audi supply is very good. For my last three orders parts came in around 3-4 days, better than a few of my Guzzi orders.

I'd agree with the statement that sorta fills the same roll as the Griso, but it's a totally different ride experience.

If there's nothing seriously wrong with the bike and you like the ride experience I'd go for it. You should be able to flip it and not lose money if you decide later on it's not for you.

Wildguzzi.com

Re: Re: Re: I've cheated and feel dirty
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
My S2r duc & 1200s goose look similar.  The ride couldn't be more different'er.  Love them both.
If you've got $2,250 & the equipment checks out, then it looks like you've just bought yourself a fun little bike.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
Do it, we all go a little gay sometimes. :D :o ;)
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
She is winking at you!

That photo is too creepy- and that's a lot coming from me. That model looks like she's all of fourteen.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
Do it, we all go a little gay sometimes. :D :o ;)

Ummmm. Really?

I always liked the S2R-  nice straightforward bike (except for the valve adjustment).
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
The clutch slaves are an issue on those, they usually leak fluid down the left side of the case. How many miles? Were the timing belts done and when? I just sold this one with new timing belts, valve adjustment, plugs and oil...

Tires were excellent, the pipes had been gutted and it had a K&N filter. I got 2150.00 for it, it's a 1999 with 27k.

BTW it was a blast to ride!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:13:06 PM by JoeW »
Joe Walano

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 06:02:57 AM »
A friend of mine has one of those, identical, and in yellow, but with stock exhaust. No rev counter.  I rode it and was surprised that it wasn't more engaging. I thought I'd be looking askance at my old Guzzi after riding it but not at all. Give me the Guzzi any day. This friend borrowed my Guzzi at the same time and he came back raving about the engine and how alive it felt. Mine has a bog standard Mille GT engine in it but with Lafranconis. Probably sounds a lot faster than it is.

Head to head the Duc I'm sure would thrash the Guzzi, but that is not how it felt on the bike.The Duc felt too civilised and my friend was a little insulted when I told him it felt a lot like a Japanese bike ;D. He loves it though and that's all that counts.
May all beings be happy

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 06:21:44 AM »
I only obsessively LOOK at Ducatis.  You're actually touching them.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Vasco DG

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
That photo is too creepy- and that's a lot coming from me. That model looks like she's all of fourteen.

Both the photo and the message are purient in the extreme. Some seriously screwed up 'Talent' at that advertising agency........

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »
Agreed on the model, btw. Too young for such a sexualized pose.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »
Is she really that young (or looks that young)?

I ask because my commute used to take me through a local college.

And I noticed over the years that I was scoping like a dog early on, then as the years went on they started to look younger and younger.

When Jenn and I were out at a bar in Philly with some friends recently there were girls drinking I pointed out that we thought looked too young too...but were obviously 21.

I guess I'm saying, our perspectives change as we age... and maybe we fool ourselves too.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MotoGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
Both the photo and the message are purient in the extreme. Some seriously screwed up 'Talent' at that advertising agency........

Yup!

Offline meccanicab

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »
I ride both a Griso and a Monster, infact I'm on a forum here in the UK dedicated to Monsters. The 750 is considered the best balance of power and and overall performance amongst the members.
Whilst both bikes are 'street' bikes, riding my Griso back to back with the Monster is like chalk and cheese. The weight, sharpness of streering and pep of the throttle is very different.I consider the Griso to be my steady brisk bike. The Monster has a nick name.....ferret on steroids! Its far more of a quick cross country bike ( even with all the rain we have in England!)
Personally, its a no brainer.....go haggle and buy!

By the why, belts should be changed every 2 yrs or approx 12k miles

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
About that young looking model , Kev m is correct . I hate to tell all you old geezers , but every kid under the age of 25 and over 14 looks the same age . One of the side effects of getting old . Don't believe me , go to the local DMV and watch 12 year old kids applying for drivers licenses  :D "Ain't no way that kid is 16 , looks about 12 to me"  ;D

Dusty

Getting truer every year.   When they'd bring kids through our office or plant on new-employee orientation days, I thought it was a middle-school outing.

Women that are 21 and look 15 make a fortune in the modeling industry.   Dirty old men .... !!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: I've cheated and feel dirty
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »

By the why, belts should be changed every 2 yrs or approx 12k miles

I know that's the corporate line. I'm just finding more and more like-minded people who feel the time limit is very conservative.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »
I used to love riding my buddy's Monster S2R 1000, great feel and sound! Get it, you'll love it!

I humbly assert an S2R 1000 sorted like mine is the best canyon bike ever. Getting ready to spend $560 for belts and valves, last done 3 years ago, it's the price of passion and worth every penny.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
I humbly assert an S2R 1000 sorted like mine is the best canyon bike ever. Getting ready to spend $560 for belts and valves, last done 3 years ago, it's the price of passion and worth every penny.

I can't really remember what it felt like the first time riding a bicycle without training wheels.  But I imagine it's kinda close to how I feel every time I ride this little gem.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:09:39 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

Old School Audio:

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Re: I've cheated and feel dirty
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
I know that's the corporate line. I'm just finding more and more like-minded people who feel the time limit is very conservative.
Kev, wondering if you have an opinion.
My service quote is $160 for belts and $400 for valves. It has 18k miles and is running perfectly, never abused. I suspect the valves will not need adjustment, as the 2 valves tend to settle in with more miles. Should I just do belts since it's been three years and leave the valves alone?

'86 Yamaha SRX-6

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
What miles were the valves done last? Valves aren't a time thing, just a mileage. Of course if you're there for the belts you're 1/3 of the way there.

I am told the valves settle after a while...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »
Valves 8k ago, I only put about 2500 miles a year on her. I will probably do the both because, as you say, I will be a third of the way there. Glad to have an independent Duc mechanic who has probably done it close to a thousand times.

'86 Yamaha SRX-6

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »
How hard is it to do it yourself?  I have heard conflicting opinions.  The explanations I have seen make it look pretty easy, but what do I know?  I haven't taken a gas engine apart since shop class, and that was 40 years ago.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
How hard is it to do it yourself?  I have heard conflicting opinions.  The explanations I have seen make it look pretty easy, but what do I know?  I haven't taken a gas engine apart since shop class, and that was 40 years ago.

I watched a guy do the belts and valve lash on a 2 valve air-cooled Monster once ... he made it look EASY.  He sat down on the right side of the bike on a roll-around seat with a sheaf of T-handle allen wrenches and a belt gauge and he was done in under an hour, without going on the other side of the bike or getting up for tools .... That's just me watching, I've never done it either, but if I had a 2-valve air-cooled Ducati, I'd tackle it in a second, no fear.   4 valve water-cooled is probably another kettle of red herrings of a different color, though ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
Yeah, that's probably a close estimation to how Chris will do it, but it is best to leave it to him.

'86 Yamaha SRX-6

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »
even if you don't DIY, Chris @ California Cycleworks has great videos on servicing Ducati's.  I recommend CACycle if youre looking for a service item for your Duc..

https://ca-cycleworks.com/tv/

Old School Audio:

Offline marcogtv6

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
Getting ready to do the valves and belts on my S2R1000, doesn't look much more complicated than pulling cams on old Japanese fours to change valve shims! About the only really dumb thing to do is drop a valve into the combustion chamber....other than miss timing your belts. Plenty of instructional videos and books out there! There is also an outfit that rents out all the tools you need and shim packs and for $100 plus the cost of shims you use, you get to keep them up to four weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 LeMans III
2000 Ducati 996
2007 Ducati S2R 1000
1974 Norton Commando Roadster
1987 BMW k75c
1971 Kawasaki G3ss
2001 Kawasaki w650

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2015, 05:59:05 AM »
Two valve ducks are easy.. 4 valve? Not so much.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »
A friend of mine has one of those, identical, and in yellow, but with stock exhaust. No rev counter.  I rode it and was surprised that it wasn't more engaging. I thought I'd be looking askance at my old Guzzi after riding it but not at all. Give me the Guzzi any day. This friend borrowed my Guzzi at the same time and he came back raving about the engine and how alive it felt. Mine has a bog standard Mille GT engine in it but with Lafranconis. Probably sounds a lot faster than it is.
The 750's were the slowest of the Monsters. Even the later 620's had more horsepower and were quicker.
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here