Author Topic: V7 II Stone Colors Inadequate  (Read 31470 times)

Vasco DG

Re: V7 II Stone Colors Inadequate
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
Paint is cheap. I really can't see the issue?

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
Paint is cheap. I really can't see the issue?

I had a tank and two sidecovers repainted for $800 close to 10 yrs ago, so I'd think $500 or maybe even more for a decent quality job for the tank.

That's roughly 2-4 weeks of groceries for one person.

Rich A

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
Okay, since no one cares what I say, I will chime in. 

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I like the Eldorado Audace and V7, but I would never buy black, period!  So the color is important to me also.  It is not that they do not make it, they do, they have posted pictures of them.

I am not going to paint a new bike, it would not be factory, and that would hurt the already bad resale value.

If you want a cheap bike to mod, that is different, but paying new from dealer on a fresh bike, we wants what we wants.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:31:45 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Buddy Shagmore

• New Egg
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 10:22:16 AM »
I agree that when buying a new bike, color is huge, a major factor in your being satisfied and happy with the purchase. Both the V7 and the new Eldorado do indeed come in red, but are not imported in the USA. Why MG made this decision is a mystery to me. I too loathe black.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 10:22:16 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Do we really think they're not going to bring over some red V7's and Eldos?

If history tells us one thing about Piaggio/MGNA it's that they have in recent years often said a certain color available elsewhere wouldn't show up in the US, but then it did.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »

CHANGE THE PAINT??!!?

Penderic

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2015, 01:10:50 PM »
Its so confusing! My brain hurts.

And do you want tube type or tubeless type tires? Bias Ply, radials? Oh my!

And current tyres so old fashioned!

I want a set of those new airless tires!

Now if they only came in mellow yellow. Dang!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:13:49 PM by Penderic »

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
I could have had a red V7II straight away but I WANTED black.
So I had to wait for it.
But if there wasn't going to be black I WOULD HAVE got the red.
Or yellow, or green, or blue, or.......
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

Penderic

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
Shiny black is hard work to keep looking clean.

Flat black looks like inexpensive paint primer after a few months.

Red Primer still looks like it is unfinished and hurried. Still see a few.

And even rust looks good if applied properly!  :boozing:

Nobody gonna steal that!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2015, 05:53:35 PM »
Oh I'm full of crap alright , but I never pick anything based on color . Besides , 'twasn't me that restarted this sad thread , and compared to most , my comments are pretty tame . On top of that , if you didn't care what any of us thought , why come back ?

Dusty

I didn't read this thread before either.   But now that I think about it, I don't think that the color of a motorcycle has ever influenced the decision of whether to buy it or not.  Generally, any bike I bought was an opportunity that presented itself.   When I bought my Stelvio, I didn't even know what color it was.

So it's kind of hard for me (that's just ME, mind you) to imagine deciding not to buy a motorcycle I wanted because it was the wrong color ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »
I totally get wanting the color of your choice.

I avoid used vehicles, and even buying out of dealer inventory if I can order what I want cause I'm so picky.

When I bought my Breva I decided Gray would be cool, but before that Mike Haven had offered to disassemble one and paint it White (which is a color I was toying with pursuing).

Back in 95 I ordered the first EFI RK that would be available from my dealer for the 96 model year. He (the owner of the dealership) warned me that in the first quarter they usually couldn't request colors and I might have to take what I could get. He called me a week or two later and said the first one was scheduled to be two-tone red and PURPLE... I said I'd take a later one, no thanks.

Happily he called me a week or so later and said they had a problem with the purple paint so I could pick any color.

I told him to surprise me.

He ordered me "Statesboro Blue Pearl" which was a gorgeous light blue pearl paint. I loved it.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

AGRO!

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2015, 12:41:38 AM »

Just Saying!

Bill Hagan

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:07 AM »
I totally get wanting the color of your choice.

Yup.

And, while I recognize that repainting is available, seems wrong on a brand-new machine. 

OTOH, some of the new, relatively inexpensive, and reversible (as in "changed my mind") vinyl coatings are interesting.  See, e.g., http://solutions.3mae.ae/wps/portal/3M/en_AE/3MGraphics/GraphicSolutions/Applications/CarWrapping/

He ordered me "Statesboro Blue Pearl" which was a gorgeous light blue pearl paint. I loved it.

Statesboro Blue Pearl?

That's right up there with Hinesville Hot Jam and Pembroke Purple Fuzz.   :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the professional marketeers and PR types didn't start working at Harley 'til sometime after that.  :grin:

Bill

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 08:04:28 AM »
Statesboro Blue Pearl?

That's right up there with Hinesville Hot Jam and Pembroke Purple Fuzz.   :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the professional marketeers and PR types didn't start working at Harley 'til sometime after that.  :grin:

Bill

They've had cringeworthy marketing since I can remember, and the same goes for how they name their models, their accessories, their colors etc.

But I liked the Allman Brothers! And honestly, I can't say enough about the blue pearl paint, it was gorgeous, the old photos I've got scanned don't do it justice, especially in bright light. Say what you want about Harley, but their paint is thick, luscious, good looking stuff.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Bill Hagan

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »

They've had cringeworthy marketing since I can remember, and the same goes for how they name their models, their accessories, their colors etc.

But I liked the Allman Brothers! And honestly, I can't say enough about the blue pearl paint, it was gorgeous, the old photos I've got scanned don't do it justice, especially in bright light. Say what you want about Harley, but their paint is thick, luscious, good looking stuff.

Very nice.

No argument from me on the quality of TMC's fit & finish.  Robotics or QC or whatever, that Harley can routinely produce such near flawless work at their volume figures is, IMO, an undeniable tribute to the marque.

OBTW, as further proof of my ignorance of contemporary (OK, OK, perhaps the last 70 years) of musiculture, I have heard of the Allmon Bros, but know little else.  To me, Statesboro conveys only mental images of Fort Stewart and coastal Georgia generally.   :embarrassed:

Best,

Bill

P.S.  Back to topic ... saw a red Stone at Guzzi Steve's dealership a few days ago.  Get thee behind me, Satan.  :evil:

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »
I'll chime in as well.  When Guzzi released it's newer V7 line (the classic in particular) I decided it was the bike I wanted.  It had just about everything I was looking for with the exception of two things:  a plastic tank and the wrong colors.  With this type of classic bike I didn't want a plastic tank (ethanol swelling issues aside), and is one reason why I had avoided the Ducati Sport Classic.  I did kind of dig the white with black strip version, but not enough to ignore the tank material, and I really really really don't like gold on my cars or bikes, so the black and gold version was out. 

So I waited.  And I'm so glad I did.  Not only did they come back with new colors that I really liked, but they came back with a metal tank and a single TB version which quite frankly makes the previous version feel dull to me.  Win, win and win. 

Color does play a factor for me when it comes to cars and bikes.  I wouldn't buy a car with a color I don't like just because it's discounted.  I want to love what I'm driving/riding, and color does play a role in how I feel.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Penderic

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »
One of the reasons I like my 09 Pearl White V7 Classic was that it reminded me of the first new bike I wanted.

Kentktk

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
Quote from: Kev m link=topic=76135.msg1197870#msg1197870 date=143039705
Isn't Gay the new black?  ???
[/quote

Not quite, it`s black wheels that are the new Gay :grin:

SteveAZ

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
Why all the fuss about color? White is the fastest followed by yellow. Blue and green are the midpack fodder. Red and black are by far the slowest. Motorcycle 101, guys. I learned this right after I was taught to remove any and all exhaust restrictions because of the detrimental effects of back pressure on horsepower.

This board is really slipping into pseudoscience and innuendo.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
Why all the fuss about color? White is the fastest followed by yellow. Blue and green are the midpack fodder. Red and black are by far the slowest. Motorcycle 101, guys. I learned this right after I was taught to remove any and all exhaust restrictions because of the detrimental effects of back pressure on horsepower.

That's funny coming from another LMIII owner :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

SteveAZ

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »
That's funny coming from another LMIII owner :thumb:

Ha! You got me.  :thumb:

I forgot silver btw. Silver bikes are a neat concept but in the case of the LM III they seem to be limited to the single specimen in the brochure :laugh:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »
innuendo.

That might be in bad taste considering the gay (ghey) comments.. :cool: :boozing:
That said, I couldn't give a crap about what color a motorcycle is. I'm much more interested in the machine part of it. Well, maybe not rainbow... :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »
Isn't Gay the new black?  ???

Not quite, it`s black wheels that are the new Gay :grin:

I guess I'm gay for black wheels!  :huh: :laugh:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

I forgot silver btw. Silver bikes are a neat concept but in the case of the LM III they seem to be limited to the single specimen in the brochure :laugh:

My LMIII is Burgandy and black, "ghey" as hell and slow as a 7 year itch!

Scorpione

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »

Not quite!

oldbike54

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
 After thinking on this for a bit , first let me apologize for being so strident earlier .

Anyway , it seems we have two different schools of thought re color . For me , riding has always simply been tactile and not visual , so color , chrome , exhaust note ,etc, has always been secondary to the smells and sensations of riding. However , it is apparent that there is a visual component to motorcycling that is important to some . Will try to be more understanding of that faction in the future, even though color and bling never registered with me . Carry on  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

"All ... colors matter!"
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
After thinking on this for a bit , first let me apologize for being so strident earlier .

Anyway , it seems we have two different schools of thought re color . For me , riding has always simply been tactile and not visual , so color , chrome , exhaust note ,etc, has always been secondary to the smells and sensations of riding. However , it is apparent that there is a visual component to motorcycling that is important to some . Will try to be more understanding of that faction in the future, even though color and bling never registered with me . Carry on  :laugh:

Dusty

I personally like the exhaust note and the "feel" of riding. But mostly I just like being outdoors. I don't care about color of a bike as long as it gets me there and back.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

Dusty

There's a difference between riding and owning.

I can ride an ugly clap trap IF it works well enough and get roughly the same roughly the same visceral experience. I say roughly because at least a small part of that visceral experience includes the machine. I like looking at it, especially when taking a break. I like seeing it under me when under way. It's at least a part of the experience.

Let me put it this way, looks might night matter and it might feel the same with an ugly woman if the lights are off, but I'd rather keep them on.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
But my point was, and I guess I got distracted and never finished it.

Riding and owning aren't the same thing or necessarily have the same requirements. But there's no reason not to satisfy BOTH requirements.

I hate chrome BTW, but I like colors, and pleasing organic shapes, and a clean finished look.

Those things may not make it run better, but they don't prevent it from running well either and make it more enjoyable than one that runs equally well but looks like ass.

There's no reason not to demand both a functional AND good looking bike.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:00:11 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here