Author Topic: 2016 retirement vehicle thoughts..  (Read 37663 times)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: 2016 retirement vehicle thoughts..
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »
How about a Unimog? http://www.unimog.net/exchange/
You can add about any accessories you want. People won't want to bump into you in Houston traffic and if they do, you may not even notice!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:18:37 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

guzzipete

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 01:40:23 AM »
Ok, you have $50k to spend.

Get the base Miata and send it to Fly'n Miata in Colorado for a suspension and turbo upgrade.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/

Bet you might have a few bucks left over to buy a beater to haul the dog around.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
Quite an interesting range.

The Cayman is a great choice....except, have you ever sat in one?  No room for anything but two people.  Suitcase?  Maybe a little one or two.  As a sports car it is wonderful.  But, as an only car I would not.  And this is from someone who LOVES mid-engine cars.  I'd rather admit the minimal approach and get a Lotus.  FYI, if you have not driven a low sports car in city traffic, try it first.  Like being blind most of the time.  And, like a motorcycle, NO ONE SEES YOU.

If you ever think about having dogs in the vehicle then at least a rear seat is important.  I'd go with one of two choices mentioned above.  Mini Cooper or WRX.  Have owned both (2002 that my daughter still has and a Mini Clubman that we traded off).  Both were automatic and turbocharged.  The Mini got better mileage and the Clubbie was perfect for med size dogs (our Old English Sheepdog outgrew it :)  ).  The WRX was a great car for me.  The early automatic was not that great.  The newer ones are more refined.  I think they even toned down the STi suspension so it doesn't kill you on city streets anymore.  An alternative these days is the BRZ if you want two seats and RWD, but, I'd only get one if they have the turbocharger.  Miata is also a good choice, especially with some mods.

You also mention SUV's and traffic.  For driving in traffic I like my truck (3/4T 4WD).  High up so you can see further over the tops of most cars.  When I go from it to a car I feel blind.  I would not get a diesel, but would look at the 3/4T.  The extended cab (not 'mega cab') is great for extra people or dogs (our Sheepie loves it), but, it can be difficult to park in tight spaces, like any larger SUV.  Mileage basically sucks.  17-18mpg in city, 20mpg on highway if I stay at 70 or lower.

Have fun with your choices.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:34:47 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
Consider a c-6. Low mileage, steeply depreviated, true high performance,  proven reliability.  Use the rest of your budget for fly and ride vacations.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »
C7 answered my needs.  32-34 mpg on the highway. I've done 13,000 miles of long distance touring with no regrets.  More trunk space then smaller cars and all the motor (460 hp) anyone in their right mind needs.  The C6's are good buys as the owners move into the 7's.  Drive both and see why.

John, my son has a C 6. a 2007 Z o6 . you have owned both a c 6 and currently a c7.... what do you see as differences /improvements ?I  kinda like the C 6s looks better myself, looks more compact, cleaner style. what are your opinions?
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
Had an SUV; hated it
It handled like a wheel barrow full of water
I have an MX 5; love it
Also just bought a VW Golf Sportwagon TSI
great car lots of space plenty of go
And it's not built with love so I don't have to wear a flannel shirt

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
John, my son has a C 6. a 2007 Z o6 . you have owned both a c 6 and currently a c7....I what are your opinions?
Rick.

Hi Rick,  I skipped the C4,5,6 series.  My current C3 is having it's 25th birthday with me next month.  I've had C3's since college.  The new C7's grabbed me with their retro look of the C3.  The only negative I read is from tall C6 owners who feel it's cramped.  Others claim the step up was worth every penny. I believe there are only two parts that came from the C6 to the 7.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
John, my son has a C 6. a 2007 Z o6 . you have owned both a c 6 and currently a c7.... what do you see as differences /improvements ?I  kinda like the C 6s looks better myself, looks more compact, cleaner style. what are your opinions?
Rick.

:popcorn:

and must have removable targa roof too. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
Interesting comment.  Have you owned a convertible before, or a targa or sunroof?  Did you use it much?

I've had all three and rarely put the tops down or slid the sunroofs open on any of them.  Partly because if I do I either have to wear a hat or put on gobs of sunscreen.  Neither of which I like to do when driving a car.  Then there is just the noise of the wind, dust, bits kicked up from car and truck tires, etc.  Too much for when I don't want to ride the bike. 

The idea of a convertible is nice, but, I want a hardtop.

[note: when on the bike I have a full fairing, FF helmet, jacket, gloves, etc to protect me from those same elements]
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Convertible was a must..  I "suffered" with T-tops for 25 years.  I had rag tops earlier and love the open air experience.
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
I love the t-tops on my z/28, likewise moonroof on the Accord.  If I consider a C6, it would definitely be a targa.  I know some of the performance model C6 have a fixed roof, not sure of which models.  BTW- I am not interested in used car with a supercharger, just too much performance and worries $$.  I think I'll be fine with 425 hp. 

C7 is really nice.  But I like the idea of finding a nice used C6 too.  Many have of them been pampered and depreciated.  I do like the simple looks as well.

The other plan is to just put some upgrades in the Z.  It's served me well with 165k miles. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:43:45 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuguzzi

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »
New CX-5 over all the others. You were thinking right . High end used cars are still high end to maintain and especially to repair and insure.

Your instinct was the CX-5, you'll probably be pleased with it when you buy it and 5 years from now too.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
Don't most ppl lease high end cars two to three years and they get another new one.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
Quite an interesting range.

The Cayman is a great choice....except, have you ever sat in one?  No room for anything but two people.  Suitcase?  Maybe a little one or two.  As a sports car it is wonderful.

I
Humm... Since it's a mid-engine and has two trunks more than enough room. I fit my golf clubs in the rear along with shoes and more. Standard suit case in the front.
I don't pack any make-up kit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:40:51 PM by kirkemon »
Kirk

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »
Ask yourself....what do you want?  My father wanted a new Mercedes 450SL back in the 70's.  We'd stop at the dealer on the way home from church and dream.  He wasted years leasing 2 Caddies at a time until he realized at almost 80 years old he only needed one daily driver and purchased the 40 year old car he always wanted.
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »
Was looking @ used Corvettes, then I seen the Norge......  :boozing:

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
I've put 90,000 trouble-free miles on a 2012 Honda PILOT 4WD.
Even pulled a 3,000 lb RV with it.
This SUV still impresses me daily.
'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
LD, if you have not done so....take a look at the Fiat 500 series.  The 500 Abarth is one hell of a hotrod and they depreciate so fast that a used one with low mileage can be a real bargain.  I have a 500L and really like the extra two doors.  The 500L has the same turbo engine as the Abarth, just not that filling rattling suspension.  On a trip I get 40 mpg with regular gas!  Around town I can still get a bit of punch by letting the turbo spin up and do its thing.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »
My retirement vehicle is a Caddi DTS..  have never regretted the decision.  Smooth, quiet, comfortable and enough ponies to hold my own with anything in traffic.  Gets 20+ mpg but that is a small concern, even if gas goes to $5 it's still the cheapest part of owning a car.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

lucydad

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2015, 07:51:26 PM »
All,

Wow as usual for the forum responses. Applause and thanks!

Trigger will get pulled sometime early March or so.  I have tested the Mazda CX 5 (impressed) and a Cayman (very impressed).  What the plan is to test some more cars for impressions: head and heart.  Short list will be likely a MX 5 Miata, Cayman S, maybe a C6 Corvette, perhaps a Cooper Mini. No rush.  Saw a WRX today:  just can't stomach the looks. 

Every time I see a Porsche my heart goes pitty-pat.  Gorgeous yellow 911 twisted my neck yesterday.

Took the Triumph STRX out for a long, fast ride today, needed that stress buster.  Windy though, and it is always good to look back on a vigorous ride and enjoy the after endorphins.  I love fast, powerful machines.  We had some fun.

Oh and saw an old SS Camaro today, around a 1966.  Damn.  The realization is that most cars sold in the 21st century do ZERO for me as far as that elusive "look".  Guess I am old.  Style matters.  Saw a local guy today that had his Ferrari California out for a spin.  Damn.

When we lived in Colorado, before moving to Africa, and had a 3 car garage the solution was my 1984 Corvette and a Subaru 4WD wagon.  Worked for me.  My slow as a turtle in cold mud brain realized today though:  uh, maybe just keep the old Mazda 3 as my beater, and buy a true sports car for the fun and hell of it?  Hmmm.  Or get a beater truck?

Thanks again. 

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »

Every time I see a Porsche my heart goes pitty-pat.  Gorgeous yellow 911 twisted my neck yesterday.

Winner-winner chicken.........

That's what you need then.  You slaved away for 40+ years.  Treat yourself. 
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
If it were I it would be something along the lines of one of these..

Abarth 695 Ferrari Tributo or Abarth Maserati Addition.

Small, practical , elegant , exclusive , Italian  and 260 whp from a 2500lbs car. One of those would set you back maybe 35k$ . Car plus the 8-10k$ kit .

I have a tweaked Abarth with 210 at the wheel which is impressive.

02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »
I agree on the 911. If the budget wont allow it you could consider the Alfa Romeo 4c or even the new Fiat 124.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:50:22 PM by BRIO »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2015, 09:00:46 PM »
Winner-winner chicken.........

That's what you need then.  You slaved away for 40+ years.  Treat yourself.

Honestly this is right.

I no longer believe your priority list and that's cool.

Time to own up to it yourself.

Besides, car and motorcycle purchases shouldn't be made with the head... They should be made with the heart.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
 Greg , you know where I stand on the Mary Ann/Ginger issue  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2015, 06:11:54 AM »
Before you could afford it, what car did you lust after? Say when you were 18 or even 30.  Consider that one.

Regarding the WRX, make sure you look at the hatchback - the sedan's styling turns me away too.

In the opposite corner of the universe, I just bought two cars for about $5-6k each.  A Chrysler Pacifica and a Suzuki SX4.  In their own way, and for that money, both are FUN.  But I suppose I have a warped sense of fun.  They both look good to my eye as well. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
Regarding the WRX, make sure you look at the hatchback - the sedan's styling turns me away too.

There has been no hatch since the 2015 redesign, and WRX's are probably a bad car to pick up used since the probability they were thorough thrashed goes up exponentially over many other sporty cars.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Gary

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
Retiring. You deserve a Cayman. I am semi-retired and just bought a Boxster. It is time to have fun. With that budget, I would get a 2009 or later to get the 9A1 engine. Cayman's and Boxsters have lots of room contrary to what some may say. You have both front and rear trunks - a lot more room than a Miata. They are actually quite nice for traveling with 2 people. You will not find a better balanced driver's car for anywhere near that price. Do you want to retire with a fun car or econo/suv/box?

lucydad

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »
Gary, all:

Gary, thanks for the comment on the Cayman engine.  I will remember.

Ok, the plan:

1)  wait until we are in the new house, and Ms. LD has most of her desired furniture, landscaping and such
2) as she is shopping for the furniture, bring up the concept:  share her Lexus, and I would share the sports car, sell/trade/donate the Mazda3
3) go test the new Miata and also go test a Cayman S (I only tried a 2008 base Cayman)--
4) if the Miata wins, it will be a loaded top of the line, new::: if the Cayman wins, it will have to be a splendid used example, probably 2009-2010 model year, and low mileage, and very well cared for
5)  color matters a lot to me, I do not like dark colors although a solid medium red is ok, favorites are white/yellow.

The SUV, well we have one in the Lexus RX 350.  A key is Ms LD, and I think she would love driving either a Miata or Cayman S.  The Miata is a convertible.  The new manual top design looks easy, but a question:  how loud is it at speed, and how does it insulate in our horrid hot/humid Houston summers?  Is the AC strong enough?  Cayman S is not a flip top, with pros and cons.

Time to go pick both daughters up at airport.  Flying in from NYC.  The house is about to get loud and fun.  Poodles will go wild and be incredibly happy.

Oh and when I was in college my friend Jim R. lusted after a Porsche.  We were about 19 years old.  Planted the seed then.  And I almost bought a 911 while in Lafayette, but yet another oil crash killed that, with office closure, two layoffs survived, and move to Houston with small kids, then more layoffs.  I don't have to worry about layoffs or educating daughters anymore. 

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »
....and we're back to the original recommendation from several months ago, but now with a few more board members providing their confirmation of the 911.

It's inescapable Greg...it's meant to be!  :)

If you want to go for a test drive one day just to see what it feels like, give me a ring.  Zoom zoom:)

Have fun, enjoy the Holidays and hope you guys get a few rides in while I'm gone...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here