Author Topic: 1100 Takes Shape  (Read 31169 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
1100 Takes Shape
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:15:13 AM »
So as this had a long hiatus, when life got in the way, I finally got back, to making a little progress

Long hard road still to travel, but putting that front wheel on is just such a milestone.

Its a Sfida 1100 getting refurbished majority of it will be the way Arturo intended but not all, the bike is by me for me and will be used. When it leaves me I'll either be incapacitated or worse so I don't give a fig if what I do lessens the value a bit

Thought somebody out there might appreciate a wee peek

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Re: 1100 Takes Shape
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:53:12 AM »
Beautiful.

Er...do you live alone?

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »
Looking forward to watching it come together! :popcorn:

John Henry

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:29:32 AM »
so next is wires. then another day to finish it.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:29:32 AM »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »
Er...do you live alone?

I deserve to but I have a long suffering partner

so next is wires. then another day to finish it.

Yeah Paul I'll post up the finished bike tomorrow  :grin:

It'll be the same as the 1000 I did few years back all the small stuff like hoses, cables, fittings etc: that will make me feel  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:33 AM »
 Hey man , you put down newspaper , the S.O. doesn't have TOO much to complain about  :laugh: Well , at least not about the motorbike in the house  :shocked:

Cool bike , keep us apprised  :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:51:27 PM »
OJ,

Glad to see you're back and the project is progressing. As a coincidence I just watched your Sfida shakedown videos recently. I was living vicariously through you while several feet of snow fell outside.
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:33 PM »
Anticipating it will end up looking something like this?

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:52:14 AM »
OJ,

Glad to see you're back and the project is progressing. As a coincidence I just watched your Sfida shakedown videos recently. I was living vicariously through you while several feet of snow fell outside.

Heh BB good to hear from you.

That's why I made the videos (I need to do some more) for Winter's days when I'm bored. I never did them with the purpose of publishing. I ride like a nervous child and that's before we discuss my absolutely RUBBISH technique. If just one person gets a few minutes pleasure out them that's really really nice to hear.

Anticipating it will end up looking something like this?

Pretty much, the standard airbox is not going on, it wasn't on the bike when I got it, probably a pair of K&Ns (waits for the haters), but not the pair in that picture, that is how it came.

My plan right now is not to have CF lowers either, although it will make it look odd on one side as the battery is just stuck to the side of the motor. There have been conversions with LiFe batteries tucked up at the back of the tank, but I want a bike that starts when I press the starter. So I may get an LiFe but a decent size one and a nice box to house it in at the standard position.

Pic to show what the standard thing looks like with the CF covers off

I usually decide stuff like this as I go, a design Gnu I am not

John
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:53:29 AM by Old Jock »

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 05:46:45 AM »
That will be your 3rd Sfida?

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 06:40:47 AM »
That will be your 3rd Sfida?

2nd Dan and I feel both very privileged and very lucky to have them.

The first one I got second hand in 99, it got refurbished, around 2008 and finished in 2010/11. I did look around for a Magni Australia but they are starting to go for funny money.

I've got 3 bikes (a Duc 1098 is number 3) and that's going to be the limit, I just cannot keep on top of any more.

I've posted the 1000 up before but here is a picture, it looks slightly different now, but its partly in bits to fix some (minor) faults and stored for winter, so I can't take a recent picture right now

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »

that looks alright with the battery exposed.. maybe put a lightening bolt sticker on it?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
that looks alright with the battery exposed.. maybe put a lightening bolt sticker on it?

You know fotoguzzi that's not such a bad idea.

Using the classic design rule "If it's butt ugly and you can't hide it.............turn it into a feature"

Seriously I do think that's quite inspired Thank You

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »
I just can't get my head around a battery that close to the exhaust. That's Shirley  :cool: not good for it?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 12:05:19 PM »
2nd Dan and I feel both very privileged and very lucky to have them.

The first one I got second hand in 99, it got refurbished, around 2008 and finished in 2010/11. I did look around for a Magni Australia but they are starting to go for funny money.

I've got 3 bikes (a Duc 1098 is number 3) and that's going to be the limit, I just cannot keep on top of any more.

I've posted the 1000 up before but here is a picture, it looks slightly different now, but its partly in bits to fix some (minor) faults and stored for winter, so I can't take a recent picture right now

Happy miles John

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »
My plan right now is not to have CF lowers either, although it will make it look odd on one side as the battery is just stuck to the side of the motor. There have been conversions with LiFe batteries tucked up at the back of the tank, but I want a bike that starts when I press the starter. So I may get an LiFe but a decent size one and a nice box to house it in at the standard position.

Pic to show what the standard thing looks like with the CF covers off

I usually decide stuff like this as I go, a design Gnu I am not

John

The Shorai I put in the 900SS is pretty small and has been quite reliable. It may fit under the seat.
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Being a very visually oriented guy - this is one sweet thread!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 07:19:57 PM »
Happy miles John

Wow I just got a woody...gorgeous.
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
These are some beautiful machines!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »
OMG, GORGEOUS!

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 04:06:33 AM »
Thank You all for the kind comments.

I didn't post to show off, being a Brit I get embarrassed when I get complements.  :embarrassed:

Just to point out the pic of the 1100 complete was taken when I got it and it cost plenty, my wallet's still recovering years later.

Although the bike looks good in that photo, the picture flatters to deceive. When I dug into it there was a lot of surface corrosion, road chips hadn't been cleaned and painted, with the result that the powder on the frame was coming off in sheets.

Nearly every fastener was seized and I lost count of the times I was slotting and chiseling out fasteners. I started to wonder WTF had I done & was thinking maybe this one project too far this time and I'd bitten off more than I could chew.

Anyway with either Death or Divorce staring me in the face if I didn't do summit I ploughed unhappily on. Now things are starting to lighten up and maybe there will be light at the end of this particularly long tunnel.

I'll post up some pics from time to time when I make visible progress, but it will be slow

John

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 04:14:11 PM »
Damn !!!! I thought my bike looked OK 'till I saw yours, that is delicious. Could the battery go somewhere in the tail piece, or use two small ones wired in parallel ? How do you think it would look with spoked wheels ? That Guzzi is pure style !

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
"Life has intervened", with me too John and I look at the pile of parts that once was my bike and wonder if I can remember how to put it all back together. Your topic and your optimism has rallied my thinking into imagining that I will cope.
Thanks mate :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
Losing those CF lowers seems to be a common desire among the few SFida owners I've encountered - they are not the most elegant piece of an otherwise elegant machine - and I didn't catch up with my mate in Invercargill last year to discover what he has ended up doing with that. Some few of us have had great success with the Li batteries from SSB (Powersports Lithium) on the V-Twin Carberry Enfields - the 425 CCA has no trouble at all kicking over the truck starter motor attached directly to the (heavy) flywheel. Helpful in my case, as the valve lifter was lost in the 2 cylinder mod. If heat from the header pipe is a concern, a cut up silicon baking tray (I get mine from charity shops cheap) helps, as does a ceramic coating on the header pipes - dissapates the heat quickly.

Another kiwi mate reports improved running of his 1100 Sport carb with the biggest & longest pod filters he could fit in. He reports that it seemed to prefer as much still air as it could get.

From one who loves seeing those very special bikes on the road, especially in perfect nick, thanks for the attention paid to the nuts & bolts and the corrosion spots. t makes a difference. I would guess that many of those seized bolts were in the Spine? II trust you will get the real satisfaction of having done it "properly". More photos would always be welcome, especially the small details, if you can manage it.

Again, many thanks for sharing, & keep up the good work.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 05:50:50 AM »
Just to reply to more kind comments :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Huzo & Blueboarhound

I have not given up trying to get a LiFe up at the seat and the suggestion of 2 in parallel is a good idea too, thanks. I have one on the 1098 that I can use as to test fitment wise. If that doesn't work then it will need to go where is currently is sited. As far as being near the exhaust the container is a 3 sided alloy contraption that you don't really see in the picture just the battery. Its also lined in foam. The only danger to the battery is if the bike was left idling for long periods, when riding airflow will do its job. Ducatis have a similar setup in a lot of their models you just don't see it as the fairing hides the position........... ...........look at a cutaway of a 916 for example.

Huzo

Everybody does their own thing I'm sure your bike is nice. I'm also lucky to be not too financially constrained, I'm not wealthy not by a loooong way, but lucky enough to have been able to throw more cash at the bikes than a sane man would do and stupid enough to have spent days doing up old bikes when I could be riding a nice reliable new one................ .......I also replied to your PM

I'm not too sure that the 1100 would benefit from spoked wheels, although what I did to the 1000 is still up for discussion and very much a matter of taste

balvenie

I can never imagine myself as inspiration to anybody, I''m a complete clown and clutz why I'm even still married is beyond me. If I can assist in any way let me know

malik

Once more thanks for the suggestions, you seem to have a familiarity with them.

I already have some ideas on insulating layers, if required for a battery box but your kind suggestions are welcomed, I'll take solid advice anytime thanks for taking the trouble. I agree with your mate on the K&Ns. The cones you saw in the previous photos are getting replaced with an already purchased pair of individual K&N cartridge types, I did not like the reverse cones filters the bike arrived with.

I'll try to take some more detail photographs later, if I'm not boring the rest of the community to death.

As far as the seized fasteners go...pretty ubiquitous, but especially on the front of the engine and top where lack of detail cleaning and corrosion had seized them solid. However they were everywhere, at one point I'd reckon for every one that came out with a wrench there was one or more I was slotting and chiseling. Luckily that method worked, for the majority of them, but not all where even more drastic methods were required.  Nearly everything is replaced with SS (with appropriate anti-sieze) except where stress considerations are priority, then its usually Ti ( OUCH OUCH OUCH goes my wallet).

John

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 07:30:29 AM »
Oh just to add

If anybody is interested in what was done (some may say butchered) to the 1000, a poorly written story of it by me and partially saved with the skills of Nolan Woodbury is here

http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/features/stories/184--sfida-italian-for-challenge-

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
There is no way any one could say that those bikes are not tastefully treated. Sometimes you see the most beautiful workmanship on something that still lacks visual balance and stance. I see it a lot in some cafe bikes and sometimes boats of all things ! What you have done IMO is balanced the lines to perfection so the bike has a presence and stance that works from any angle. I'm thinking of a Le Mans 3, I thought that Guzzi lost something when they went to the upswept tail piece and sharpened the edges of the bodywork. How different is your bike from a completely standard one. I'll try not to embarrass either of us by complimenting you further, but one of those Guzzies is good as I've seen. Have you seen where some endurance bikes have their batteries ? Just under the swing arm pivot area, I wonder if you could apply your talents to achieve that ? Also I thought I returned your e mail but I'll make sure I check. My Norge will be arriving in Felixstowe May 30 and I'll collect it on June 1, 600 km to Glasgow is worth it to see those bikes. Thanks for your posts. Huzo.

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
beautiful bikes....

did you go from the black cast wheels to spokes on the 1000 then? was that a looks thing or for weight? I'm planning on ditching the boat anchors on my lemans 1000 and was wondering which wheels you used and considered...

any info would be gratefully appreciated

cheers mate

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
Despite the fact that wire wheels look lighter, I'm not sure that the difference is as much as looks would suggest. My Norge has Bellagio hubs and Behr rims and I think the weight is near enough to the original cast items.

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »
OJ, beautiful bikes. Love your attention to detail. Am with Paul, can't wait to see the wiring harness :popcorn:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here