Author Topic: 1100 Takes Shape  (Read 31273 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1100 Takes Shape
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
Huzo

Haven't received anything either in my mail or a PM, I'll drop you another PM about your trip

The Sfida 1000 is based on LMV running gear, Magni made the tank and frame which sorta mirrors Tonti's work but is bigger in section and re-inforced more around the head as I remember. The big "trick" up its sleeve of course is the parallel swinging arms which eliminate shaft jack crawl. Apparently Arturo Magni devised this for MV shafties but when MV folded, the idea got resurrected for Guzzis, the family hold a lot of patents on the design.

A friend also had one and kept his as standard as possible, unfortunately its now sold, but here is a picture to give you an idea

The exception is the bike came with an airbox originally not stacks

Video here (apologies for the quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1udSSYsaLTg

More suggestions for where to put the battery on the 1100, only problem down there would be heat from the crossovers and if I could physically squeeze it in, but anything considered

lazlokovaks

I changed the wheels primarily for cosmetic reasons, effete and shallow as I am, these are EPM wheels made by Magni and expensive for what they are. They are also soddin heavy although the bike still handles well with them, which seems to fly in the face of Newton.

The other bonus of cast is a modern tubeless radial is now in and I went up one size on the rear as its a slightly wider rim. This suited me as she could be a little on the skittish sides for my tastes with the standard tires. I've also heard, but yet to find out, that blow outs with tubeless are usually less hazardous as the loss of air and stronger sidewalls make the event less of a trauma

wcguzzi

The 1100 will be using the standard 1100 loom as its in pretty good nick.

I do not have many photos of the 1000 wiring but here is one at the RH side panel and shows the ignition box (the silver box sticking up) the fuse box, the M-Unit and the box below the M-Unit houses the "flashing" resistor. The second picture shows the wiring running up to the front of the bike if that helps.

That was my first ever attempt at a full rewire and although its a lot to do, it was surprisingly simple, the trick to it all is to make a diagram and schedule before hand. The physical wiring then just becomes an exercise in routing wire and terminating them all at the very end.

However as soon as the standard loom goes on the 1100 I'll post that up too, right now I'm grappling with the seemingly simple rear sets and side stand cam, trying to figure how its all meant to work. At the time of strip I took what I thought were more than ample photographs and notes, but apparently it wasn't enough............. ...I'll get there though

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have started this thread, it was only meant to be a few posts on the 1100  :grin: However I'll gladly share my bodges with anybody and provide information to others foolish enough to take my advice  :rolleyes:

But once again thank you for all the positive comments

John
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:44:08 AM by Old Jock »

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
thanks for the info john...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
Those bikes are a pleasure to look at, quality of work is an example to all. BTW I have e mailed you Jock.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »
Haven't received anything via PM or mail Huzo

I PM'd again and I'll send you my e-mail via PM right now

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
Hmmm.... Must be something I'm doing. Think I'll just 'phone.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 05:07:47 AM »
Jock, I have asked Norge Pilot to send you all the original info I had on the wheel build. I had some storage issues on my I pad and got rid of a lot. My original post started on Jan 24 under "Wire Wheel Norge" so you can follow that thread if you wish. Peter. Ps, I'll 'phone you soon.

across

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »
WOW!!!! Absolutely beautiful John!!! very impressive!! Thanks again for the kind advice and reaching out!!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
Yeah across, aren't they just gorgeous. There's one particular shot, I think it's the 1,000, that looks reminiscent of but better than an original 900 SS Ducati

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »
Just to update, nothing on the 1100 I'm afraid (so strictly "off topic")as the 1000 was taking priority as its a runner and summer is fast approaching, if not here already.

Anyway as noted in other threads I raised about the front brakes issue and the wooden clutch, I went back to a cable clutch with an ISR "extra pull" lever and replaced the 300mm solid Magni rotors, which had warped, with 320mm ISR custom full floaters.

This then meant getting new caliper carriers manufactured, which turned into a painful process mainly for my long suffering machining guy and shop............... .......I cannot praise him often enough despite my botched measuring and problems he unfailingly greets me with a smile and promptly comes up with the goods.

I think I promised somewhere earlier that I'd post up a more recent picture once the mods were done and the bike wheeled out the shed

So a couple of hastily taken shots straight out the camera no photoshop funny business........... .................if anybody is interested

Hopefully more to follow on the 1100 soon

John

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2016, 07:10:39 AM »
as the 1000 was taking priority as its a runner and summer is fast approaching, if not here already.

Yep, gotta keep the runners running. Life is short, summers even shorter. Winter is for playing in the shed.  :smiley: That's a seriously nice scooter you have there, OJ.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
John,

That is a beautiful bike. Very nice work. Great front indicators.

Tim
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
Very nice!    :bow:
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2016, 03:21:35 AM »
Although I think the bike is nice very little of it is my own work.

All the credit goes to the Magni family, all I've done is try to improve some of the more questionable areas and try to keep it looking good.

Hell the red and black designed was shamelessly plagiarized from a picture of a Magni MV. Not having pockets that deep (by a VERY long way) I merely made a poor mans version with what I had.

John,

That is a beautiful bike. Very nice work. Great front indicators.

Tim

Thanks Tim the front and rear indicators are Kellerman products which are expensive but I have not seen anything much better and they are super bright. Occasionally I have had people tell me I've ruined the period look by adding things like modern grips and LED indicators etc: Guess you can please some of the people some of the time............... .........

The bike is used for runs and is not a garage (or my case shed) queen.

Yep, gotta keep the runners running. Life is short, summers even shorter. Winter is for playing in the shed.  :smiley: That's a seriously nice scooter you have there, OJ.. :thumb:

Chuck coming from you that is praise indeed and makes me blush.............. ...........your work on the aero engine bike and the first start up video were awesome

John

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 06:31:05 AM »
Occasionally I have had people tell me I've ruined the period look by adding things like modern grips and LED indicators etc: Guess you can please some of the people some of the time............... .........

Don't listen to the naysayers OJ, the 1000 looks great!
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
So I dropped the 1000 after about Oh 3 miles at walking speed, nothing major but a lot of front end superficial stuff now requires repairing, jeez if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck

So while waiting for parts, I've been giving the 1100 a little (but not much) attention

Fuel pump and mount. The mount was an E-Bay item that I got a mate to modify, once installed in the normal pendulum position it was too close to the front wheel for comfort so I mounted the other way and luckily there was enough clearance. The Pierburg pump can easily handle suction pressures so head issues are not a problem and (I hope) it should fuel just fine. The horns are mounted with P Clips and just sticking out the back there is the new pressure switch.

The fittings from the engine to the pressure switch, the coils and a hopefully more tasteful looking engine to frame breather, at the moment its silicone but I have oil resistant elbows on order, it should look the same

Breather hoses, rear sets, side stand all in place

General shot of the whole thing GOD its slow going

John

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
I can Smell the Newness :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

pete roper

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2016, 11:36:49 PM »
Would you like a plate for the 1100 John? I'll donate one if you like, it's a special bike.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2016, 04:21:00 AM »
Pete

Are we talking a Roper Windage plate, to prevent pickup starvation on the pump for the sump sir? Damm I wish you had told me earlier & I wouldn't have bought one  :laugh:

Seriously Pete that is a VERY generous offer & I am blushing at the kind words & generous offer, but no need one is already in.

I just post from time to time to let anybody who can be bothered take a peek at how its going, I am not and never will be a mechanic.

So let me ruin it all by showing you something you definitely will not approve of, probably the only other "mod" done to the engine............. .......a set of Joe Caruso, steel timing gears!!!

Next I suppose is mounting the injection system bits & pieces and running the hoses to suit, after that the loom. Its a funny thing that at the beginning of a build I feel like sprinter out the blocks, yet the more it progresses the more it seems to slow............... .....is that just me?

John

pete roper

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2016, 04:28:57 AM »
While I think the cam gear is too highly relieved Joe's gears get the golden pineapple seal of approval! It's the shitty aluminium ones I hate on! :laugh:

Pete

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2016, 04:43:35 AM »
The same thought did cross my mind, Pete an awful lot of air there

Joe does know what he's doing though and these are in quite a few other bikes spread across the globe.

I'm not aware of any going bang.

It will be interesting to hear them on running, he changed the steel alloy to allow the relieving and unlike the 1000's gear these ring like a bell if you strike them.

I wonder how they will sound when whirling around a 5 or 6ks? Hope I don't end up like a ruddy fire engine, all red with what sounds like a set of bells in the timing chest  :grin:

John

pete roper

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2016, 04:48:02 AM »
That sort of noise is bloody magic. Especially on a bike like that! :grin:

Are you and Charlotte around in late September/Early October? It would be great to catch up.

Pete

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 05:30:15 AM »
Pete

We do go to Spain for a week sometime in the autumn but other than that Yeah we'll be around.

I PM'd you on accommodation if you are passing or even stopping in Glasgow for a few days, be my pleasure to show you around (although you probably know Jockland better than I do).

Errinboro can be easily reached on a 40 min train ride, better to do that than stay there as the accommodation prices in Edinburgh will probably be high and very busy, if you plan on going to the capital that is.

PM me with your plans and lets see what can be done, love to meet you both again, it was fun last time.

John

Offline frizzit

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »
A note on a electrical power storage unit that may be worth a thought, Supercapacitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM

They are small and you can distribute them according to space available.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
Thanks frizzit

Very interesting, need to look into that technology more come the time I start to think about battery placement.

That is a little way away yet though but it does give me some time to research it.

John

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
So just when I think I'm getting the better of the fuel system it bites back

Trying to install new fuel filter, why do they have to be so HUGE? I find that partly because of my new flashy breather I can no longer site the filter where it once lived, well I could but it would take a bit of doing

As I was less than enthusiastic about the way it was just chucked in there and attached with a couple of nasty looking straps............. .I start thinking........... ........never a good thing.............. ........and come up with this arrangement

Now I'm waiting for some stud to finish the mounting, its pretty tight getting it all on but once in position works there is no danger of fouling that headstock or exhausts & IMHO it looks quite neat.

However if there are any negative comments or criticism I'm all ears as why not.

Its getting a bit crowded up there

2 coils
1 pressure switch
2 horns
1 filter
1 pump

John

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »

Now I'm waiting for some stud to finish the mounting

Seriously Jock, I love your work but this Freudian slip has me splitting my sides with laughter

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2016, 02:31:54 PM »
Well, that's a seriously more elegant way than Luigi would have done it.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »
Seriously Jock, I love your work but this Freudian slip has me splitting my sides with laughter

Adam

Adam drawing my attention to that had me pissing myself too, thanks for pointing it out

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2016, 08:26:35 PM »
Professional :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »
Really really nice work! And the bike is gorgeous!  :bow: :popcorn:
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here