Author Topic: Router question NGC whatsoever  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Router question NGC whatsoever
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
Our router lost it's magic ju ju, and her laptop and the wireless printer can't see it. Phones can, though. <scratching head> At any rate, I've ordered a new router, and wonder if I make the password the same on the new one all the devices can see it automatically. You know, TVs tablets, Kindles, etc.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

canuguzzi

Re: Router question NGC whatsoever
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
Yes.

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:27:53 AM »
Just leave the new router to serve DHCP which would be the default.

You might run into issues if you were using any status IP addresses for printers or file sharing. Just run the discovery tool software if needed for printers and such.

Here is the thing though, if the phone can see the router, the laptop should be able to as well.

Have you rebooted the device?

Turn off everything (computer related). Wait a bit, turn on the router, then one by one turn on your devices. That might be all it takes.

canuguzzi

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Also, some phone will change their connection to mobile data if they can't reach the WiFi. Check that too. Turn off mobile data and if the phone can still get an address and you can still use it for Internet browsing then you probably don't need a new router.

Always good to have a spare though.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:31 AM »
Access the router via a LAN cable to see if anything is amiss.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »
Have you tried resetting the router? (usually a small button that you hold in for about 10 seconds)

If you set up the new one with the same SSID and password, it should be automatic.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
Access the router via a LAN cable to see if anything is amiss.

Hooked up a cable to her computer from the router yesterday so she could use it to do her bills, etc.
Rebooted the router, printer, etc.
The home network doesn't show up on her computer unless I plug it directly to the router.
My tablet says connected Netgear30-5G
Her laptop says connected Netgear30, Netgear30-5G doesn't show up. When I unplug the laptop from the router, her laptop says Netgear30 is available, but when I click on it, I get the big red X on the network information screen and no connection.
When I try to print with anything, I get a Printer is off error. It's not.  :smiley:
I always thought that if one device could see a router, any could, but I know less than nothing.. :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
Have you tried resetting the router? (usually a small button that you hold in for about 10 seconds)

If you set up the new one with the same SSID and password, it should be automatic.

Haven't tried that.. I unplugged it for a few minutes, though. I'll try punching the button.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
Sounds like the router is accepting connection from select MAC addresses and not others. I've used that in the past on my router. Makes it harder to steal bandwidth among other things.

If you can log into the router with the computer, there should be a reset button there too.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
Some routers also have firmware upgrades available, that is something to look into also.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 11:56:19 AM »
Haven't tried that.. I unplugged it for a few minutes, though. I'll try punching the button.

No joy..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 11:57:05 AM »
Bought a spare router from WalMart.

Plug and play when the old one bit the dust.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:45:39 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »
Her laptop always connected before yes?

Is it a windows machine? If you want a PM on how to go through the rigamoarole to get it working (if the hardware is OK) I can PM you a step by step. Or;

others will be along to help no doubt.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
Her laptop always connected before yes?

Is it a windows machine? If you want a PM on how to go through the rigamoarole to get it working (if the hardware is OK) I can PM you a step by step. Or;

others will be along to help no doubt.

Yes, it did. So did the printer.
I just went to the netgear software, and on the WiFi connection tab, it says "cannot scan the wireless networks, make sure your wireless adapter is turned on and not disabled."
When I click the network tab, it shows my computer, 2 androids, and something on 192.168.1.2 as active.
Dorcia's computer and two other androids are greyed out.
I've already ordered another router, so no need jumping through hoops trying to help. I appreciate it, though.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Also, some phone will change their connection to mobile data if they can't reach the WiFi. Check that too. Turn off mobile data and if the phone can still get an address and you can still use it for Internet browsing then you probably don't need a new router.

Always good to have a spare though.

Finally got around to that. The phone says it's connected, but won't download a web page without using data. Maybe the router has an immobilizer?  :evil: (Guzzi content)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

canuguzzi

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
1.2 is probably your router's internal network address.

Are you sure your Internet connection is working? The phone saying its connected but not browsing means nothing is getting past your router.

Just for kicks, try unplugging your internet connection device (DSL modem or cable router) along with everything else and wait a bit and then starting with the internet connection device, on, one at a time, letting your internet connection device connect and acquire its address first. With some cable modems/routers it can take 5 minutes or so (like Comcast in some places).

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
^ do that. Think cascading. Shut everything down, start one device at a time starting from what's closes to your outside service.

ISP router - wait till all lights are settled
Internal Router/WIFI - same
Other devices -

Flush the toilet at this point, just for extra flushing....

Good luck  :thumb:

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »
1.2 is probably your router's internal network address.

Are you sure your Internet connection is working? The phone saying its connected but not browsing means nothing is getting past your router.

Just for kicks, try unplugging your internet connection device (DSL modem or cable router) along with everything else and wait a bit and then starting with the internet connection device, on, one at a time, letting your internet connection device connect and acquire its address first. With some cable modems/routers it can take 5 minutes or so (like Comcast in some places).

yeah.  :smiley: Early on I said I plugged Dorcias laptop into the router so she could do her business stuff..
I'll start unplugging now.. if I never return, I'm lost in the ether..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
Nope, no cigar. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

canuguzzi

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
Nope, no cigar. <shrug>

Without going to a point of no return, I'd leave things as is since you have a replacement on the way. Then you have time to mess with it if you like and keep it for a spare if it gets working.

Set the security on the new same as the old and everything should work unless things on the old side changed.  Your SSID will change but you can set that to be what the old was one was too, your choice.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »
Your SSID will change

Whatever that is..  :smiley:
If it had carbs and points I could keep it running. <snapping suspenders>  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »
Whatever that is..  :smiley:
If it had carbs and points I could keep it running. <snapping suspenders>  :smiley:

When you see the WiFi connection availability or broadcasts, the Netgear30 blah blah blah. That is the name of your WiFi network. The new router will have something different by default unless it is the exact same router. Not a big deal, just make sure you connect to the right one.

Usually not a big deal unless you have neigbors with unsecured WiFi in which case you might connect to theirs, not usually something you'd want to do. The setup sheet with the new router will tell you what the default is. Its a good idea to change it just in case someone else nearby has the same thing, not likely but does happen.

You can make your SSID almost anything you want. Not a good idea to be cute and pick so.etching likely to attract attention like some clown around here did with FBIxxxn and Fxxkyxx after that.

If you like "redsuspenders" would work just fine. :grin:

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »

I can honestly say I will be of no help on this other than when I saw the  header I thought it was going to be a woodworking thread. Good Luck :grin:

Paul :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »
A new router cured everything. Thanks for the info.. :bow:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here