Author Topic: cx100 base gsket and cyl height  (Read 1491 times)

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
Re: cx100 base gsket and cyl height
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2023, 11:42:08 AM »
They opened the inlet enough there wasn't any room for nuts. I never understood the polished rockers either. I thought the benefit must be very small. I haven''t read about the the peening but it makes sense. I can't find any reference to a longer rod so I suppose it could be a piston pin location issue although I can't find anything about a pin location other than stock. It will be interesting to solve the puzzle. Maybe next winter. This summer I hope to a few miles on it.

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2023, 12:06:13 PM »
Glad its back to gether .Nice work. When you take the pan off to change oil filter. Don,t do what I did about 25 years ago forgot the 4 10mm hex bolts in center of pan..drove some wedges to get the pan off, I can still hear that bastard crack. Lucky I had a spare pan. I know for a fact i.m not the only one puled this stunt. any way don.t forget the hose clamp. nice intake.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2023, 12:24:34 PM »
The rocker shafts are shimmed instead of the spring to give better throttle response. It’s due to eliminating lost motion as the rocker slides instead of acting on the valve. We used to put thrust roller bearings in them but found it was better to shim them. It works well with no detrimental effects that I’m aware of. It works best with a sporting cam.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 12:54:45 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 05:08:35 PM »
Do shims make it easier to get the shaft through. I had a bugger of a time lining up the washers and spring to get the shaft all the way home. Finally got it using a dental pick to push the last washer into alignment.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 05:08:35 PM »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 06:51:26 PM »
Do shims make it easier to get the shaft through. I had a bugger of a time lining up the washers and spring to get the shaft all the way home. Finally got it using a dental pick to push the last washer into alignment.

It’s still a bugger.  Then the shim stack can be different as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:52:33 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 07:26:24 PM »
I use a tapered punch that someone cut down to align things, put it through, wiggle it around til everything lines up, insert shaft. I know it sounds riske but it gets the job done. Tool has been in my box for as long as I can remember, don't know where it came from or who made it, or what they made it for, gets used for little else.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 07:59:22 PM »
I use a tapered punch that someone cut down to align things, put it through, wiggle it around til everything lines up, insert shaft. I know it sounds riske but it gets the job done. Tool has been in my box for as long as I can remember, don't know where it came from or who made it, or what they made it for, gets used for little else.

Brian
brilliant, and that gives me an idea, just use the right size drill bit coming down from the top.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 09:46:15 PM »
John A what clearance would you put in the shims? I believe they were a two shim stack.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 09:55:48 PM »
I was trying to remember and I don’t so I hate to say a number. I’ll look to see if I wrote it down somewhere.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »
On my racing BSAs I used shims to eliminate any possible "floating" of the rocker on the shaft at high RPMs due to the spring and to eliminate the friction the spring caused.  I shimmed the rockers so the rocker is centered on the valve stem.

As for fitting the Guzzi rockers with shims, I used an old, worn rocker pin with a taper ground into one end.
1990 MilleGT

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 11:26:42 AM »
My scratchings say  .004 for rocker shaft end clearance. Plus or minus .001.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here