Author Topic: 850T - Are these reasonably priced?  (Read 4009 times)

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: 850T - Are these reasonably priced?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »
3500 USD is 4600 CAD, plus transport..

What about this (no relation to seller)
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/annapolis-valley/moto-guzzi-v11-sport-price-further-reduced/1441007654

Lose the fairing, add V11 Ballabio standard bar and you have a pretty decent  Guzzi

Ok, looked at it and...that green. Still, I appreciate it.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
SP1000 NT.  Would fit your bill.  Like the R100RT.  1980 era.  Rock solid easy bikes to work on.  CX100 in the States.  High mileage bikes too.  Sport Tourers.   :thumb:

That's a NICE bike, especially the red/white version.  :drool:   I'll definitely look to see if one's available. Thanks!

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »
Long term T-3 owner here. Yes, T-3s have chrome bores.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »
Both are to expensive and would go beyond your budget in a blink.
The first one is a $2000 bike with little real description, the second looks like an abandoned cafe project.

Yes, I think I may have to revise my budget. Or change my selection.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 06:40:00 PM »
Wow, what a great group! I've learned a whole bunch from just one post.

Much thanks to all!

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
I've gotten good 1000cc cylinders with pistons, and good 850 cast iron cylinders with pistons for around $200. I'd watch for a deal like that, replace the chrome bores, then send the chrome cylinders to a shop to have them nikasil plated. The pistons, if not worn out, will work just fine in the nikasil bores - and the plater will even plate to match the pistons.

The 1000 cylinders need to have the spigots turned down a few thousandths to fit the mid 70s T3 block.

LesP

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2020, 07:07:55 PM »
Wow, what a great group!

There are stand out's though.
I put a WTB post up last week for a 1973 spec tail light, the CEV version which can be hard to find.
Who posted one to me last week for the cost of post only, no surprise there.

Charles Mullendore of course
Thanks Charlie  :thumb: :thumb:

Tracking says it is at 30000 feet somewhere over the Pacific Ocean.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:10:01 PM by LesP »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »
That's a NICE bike, especially the red/white version.  :drool:   I'll definitely look to see if one's available. Thanks!
Any SP *is* a nice bike. One will turn up, but you have to be patient. The best Guzzi you can find is one that is being kept by a Guzzi enthusiast. They will probably cost a little more.. but not much more. They have already spent a fair amount of money and a ton of sweat equity that they will never get back.. and don't really care.
I had my choice of 2 SPs back in the day. A "survivor" at $1800, and a really nice gone through Red/White at $3000. Being a cheap Guzzisti, I went for the $1800 one, but the high priced spread was a *much* better buy.  :smiley: It's probably still running today with no money thrown at it..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 10:23:47 PM »

Don't know if you've seen this vid.  You'll like it.  The SP1000 was the last model that utilized the wind tunnel at the Mandello factory.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTiYrTxH4X4&t=7s
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2020, 05:59:23 AM »
Don't know if you've seen this vid.  You'll like it.  The SP1000 was the last model that utilized the wind tunnel at the Mandello factory.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTiYrTxH4X4&t=7s

I do love the looks of those SP's!!  I tell you, with a 36" inseam though, not sure Im fitting on one with those lowers though!!!!  You know props to the testers.. Ive ridden a bicycle on rollers before.....  You wouldn't get me on a motorcycle on them!!!!
Paul B

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 07:49:50 AM »
The G5? Ok, I had to look that one up. Nice bike, I like the square heads and the body styling reminds me of my '82  Suzuki GS1100E. (Long sold.) Not crazy about the square headlight. But compromises may have to be made.

Square heads? Square headlight? That's not a stock G5, a stock G5 look VERY, VERY similar to a T, and has round heads and round headlight. I think they're much more rare than a T, with the main difference being the iron-bore 949cc motor, and probably the dash and controls, sidepanels, etc. I think some models came with footboards, as did the un-mentioned-as-yet T3FB.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »
Square heads? Square headlight? That's not a stock G5, a stock G5 look VERY, VERY similar to a T, and has round heads and round headlight. I think they're much more rare than a T, with the main difference being the iron-bore 949cc motor, and probably the dash and controls, sidepanels, etc. I think some models came with footboards, as did the un-mentioned-as-yet T3FB.

I think he may have looked up the T5, not G5. Big difference.

As far as just buying a "modern" V7 instead of an old T or T3: I owned a '13 V7 Stone briefly. While it was enjoyable to ride, there were a number of things I didn't like about it. Vibration was one, but that may have gotten better with more miles. The seat(s) - all three I had for it - sucked. Two hours and I was ready to get off. No way was I going to spend $500+ for a custom seat that may or may not have been better. I guess the biggest thing I've never liked about the whole small-block series is they feel (to me) to be built down to a price. Sold it off and don't regret it. The $$ from it are paying for the restoration of my '77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada.

There are a lot better 850-Ts than the ones in the original post, for less money. A few nice ones have popped up in recent months on various Facebook groups. 
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Thanks! I will look for this Guzziology of which you speak.  :laugh:

For the info you seem to want.. Greg Fiield's "Moto Guzzi Big Twins" is what you need. It's out of print, but I have seen them on Amazon.
You *may or may not* get mired down in minutia with "Guzziology."  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2020, 11:53:33 AM »
berniebee,

If you get a minute to PM me, I'd like to talk.

Bill Owens

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

Hey, it's cut off suddenly.  Do you know where I can see the rest?

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2020, 04:21:09 PM »
I think he may have looked up the T5, not G5. Big difference.

As far as just buying a "modern" V7 instead of an old T or T3: I owned a '13 V7 Stone briefly. While it was enjoyable to ride, there were a number of things I didn't like about it. Vibration was one, but that may have gotten better with more miles. The seat(s) - all three I had for it - sucked. Two hours and I was ready to get off. No way was I going to spend $500+ for a custom seat that may or may not have been better. I guess the biggest thing I've never liked about the whole small-block series is they feel (to me) to be built down to a price. Sold it off and don't regret it. The $$ from it are paying for the restoration of my '77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada.

There are a lot better 850-Ts than the ones in the original post, for less money. A few nice ones have popped up in recent months on various Facebook groups.

I googled G5 again.  I see, it IS a lot like the T3. I don't know what Mr. Google was showing me yesterday, I probably mistyped something.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »
berniebee,

If you get a minute to PM me, I'd like to talk.

Bill Owens

Will do.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »
For the info you seem to want.. Greg Fiield's "Moto Guzzi Big Twins" is what you need. It's out of print, but I have seen them on Amazon.
You *may or may not* get mired down in minutia with "Guzziology."  :smiley:

I guess I will get both!

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »
Here is a 79 G5 I got from the original owner last year so I think it is original:

Not a great looker to me but the build quality is impressive and a great basis for a moderate refurbishment rider, or in my case tear down and custom build.  After seeing how the drivetrain and frame are built I would recommend any non-abused fairly priced round case. I really like the T-3. Good luck with your search.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here