Author Topic: plastic tank heat shield adhesive  (Read 664 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
plastic tank heat shield adhesive
« on: May 16, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
What do y'all use? My new toy V11sport is by far the worst of the few I've worked on. The others just took some strips of "racer tape" (super adhesive stainless steel tape) around the edges. When I took the tank off the Sport the whole thing was loose & hanging from the bottom of the tank. For those unfamiliar, the underside of the plastic tanks  is covered with a thin fiberglass/aluminum foil insulating material. It's cut to fit in the tank saddle & sides & glued to the plastic. So the adhesive has to adhere to fiberglass & plastic, be heat resistant and able to stand up to the possible gas slop from inattentive filling and oil etc fumes from the motor.
suggestions?
ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
Re: plastic tank heat shield adhesive
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »
RTV Silicone gasket maker works well. :thumb: DonG

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
 I've used 3M #77 spray adhesive with no failure in 5 years and counting. Can sez it's good for 150 degrees F.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »
When the stock crap failed on my '08 Norge I got some aluminum heat shield material at O'Reilly's auto parts,self adhesive,conformed to the bottom of the tank nicely! The hardest part was getting the old foam/adhesive off...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here