Author Topic: Idaho Back Country Discovery Route  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
Idaho Back Country Discovery Route
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:35:14 PM »
Planning to ride the IDBDR sometime mid September.   A coworker got the itch to try his hand at adventure riding and has bought a 2016 KLR he is in the middle of fixing up for the ride after watching GOPRO footage and pics from my AZBDR ride last month on my then new 2016 Stelvio. There is the possibility of one or possibly two other riders joining the ride as well.
The IDBDR is not thought of being one of the harder BDRs, but is a long one at over 1200 miles if done completely.
Having just finished the AZBDR last month solo, I thought I'd give the IDBDR a run late in the summer with some newbie's to share the "experience".
The final date isn't set and can be  flexible if anyone here was wanting to come along.  The start is in Jarbridge NV and finishing at the Canadian border.
We'll be leaving from Central Ca. and would be happy to meet up on the road, stage out of my place, or whatever.
Throw some knobbies on that "barge" and come along.  I haven't found a BDR I didn't like, 'course I've always done them solo too..... :wink:
If it's tourist season, why can't you hunt them?

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
Re: Idaho Back Country Discovery Route
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »
So, the date for the IDBDR is set to leave Clovis CA, September 9th. Figuring to be at Jarbridge NV. the 10th.  We have tentatively set aside about 9 days to do the BDR portion, with another 3 to get back home.  Would be happy to hook up with anyone interested in doing the whole thing or even parts.

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »
Can't wait to see the pictures. I'd love to do that ride.
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:47:11 PM »
Can't wait to see the pictures. I'd love to do that ride.
Come on over, you can stay at my place to recover from the 3100 miles or so to get here! or meet up at jarbridge and save 650 miles or so.  But then you would miss riding through Yosemite, the ghost town of Bodie and a lap around Mono lake. but hey, your call.
Got plenty of space... :evil:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:47:11 PM »

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:52:20 AM »
I really enjoyed and was motivated by your azbdr repeat on the bran spankin new stelvio!

I am looking at doing one. Maybe Colorado?

I am an experienced rider but not having any real "technical" off road riding training, would you still try a BDR on a barge like a stelvio?

And which BDR would be the easiest to do on  my mandello motocrosser?
Thanks for your BDR experience.
Guzzi's in the barn then and ... now:
2013 Guzzi Stelvio
1986 Guzzi V 65 TT (keeper!)
1985 Guzzi Le Mans IV ( sold after riding 26k miles on it)
1980 Guzzi v50 II (sweet! and sold)
2009 Guzzi Stelvio (Rode it 30k + in 2 years sad but gone)
2000 Guzzi Quota (sold but want another!

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
We should put together a Utah BDR ride/rally next year for Quota's and Stelvio's!

That'd be a blast.

Doug

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:40:51 AM by WitchCityGuzzi »
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
I really enjoyed and was motivated by your azbdr repeat on the bran spankin new stelvio!

I am looking at doing one. Maybe Colorado?

I am an experienced rider but not having any real "technical" off road riding training, would you still try a BDR on a barge like a stelvio?

And which BDR would be the easiest to do on  my mandello motocrosser?
Thanks for your BDR experience.
By all accounts the IDBDR is the easiest of the BDRs. The UTBDR and AZBDR being probably the toughest.  Haven't heard about the NMBDR though.  Any of the BDRs can be a challenge if the weather goes to crap, or for what ever reason you take a spill. I've done BDRs on a KLR 650, KTM 990 and now on a Stelvio.  I actually like the Stelvio over all.  I find that the center of gravity and the way it makes torque, makes it very forgivable and easy to ride. Generally speaking the BDR's are designed for "big" Adventure bikes, that are loaded for multiple days away from civilization. That's not to say you should wear tennis shoes and shorts, but it's not an enduro either.
If you have very little time in the dirt on anything, I would recommend attending one of the many classes on Adventure bike riding.  Or at least a class on off road riding.  Learn to ride the bike with it feeling "loose". It's not as tough as it sounds, but it does take a bit of knowledge.
Basically, go as fast as you want to fall down, STOP!!! if you are unsure about your ability, or the bikes ability in a particular section.  It's a lot more fun to "bitch" about a water crossing you didn't do, than one you had to wait for 4 other people to come along and help you fish your bike out. Substitute "water crossing" with hill, steep down hill, loose rocks, ETC. The trick is to fill your cup of knowledge, before your cup of luck, runs out.

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »
We should put together a Utah BDR ride/rally next year for Quota's and Stelvio's!

That'd be a blast.

Doug
Put me in Coach!  It would be a blast!

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
Well!  It's on.  I'm leaving on September 9th from Clovis Ca and for the first time going with someone.  My partner in crime is one of my HVAC techs from work, and will be riding a KLR 650.  We're planning 8-10 days to do the ride and 4 days travel to and from. My buddy is quickly farkling out his KLR as he only bought it this spring. We've been able to ride together a couple times and we seem to be a good fit.  Have even been asked to send pics and video on the ride so IT can post it on some of the monitors in the employee dining room.

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »
Too many f*&king acronyms. Plain English please.
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Frulk

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
Mooney. I'm familiar with the north end of the UTBDR. Ping me if you're coming through and I can provide local assistance...anythi ng from a BBQ to trailer recovery of a bike. This past weekend I rode close to about 100 miles of the north end of the route. Nice stretch of gravel that at the right time of year...early through mid Sept will have EPIC stretches of fall colors in the Aspens.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:19:09 AM by Frulk »

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 11:43:02 PM »
Too many f*&king acronyms. Plain English please.
HVAC, Heating, ventilation, air conditioning. IT  Information Technology. They make everything talk to everything else.

Offline Mooney78865

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
Mooney. I'm familiar with the north end of the UTBDR. Ping me if you're coming through and I can provide local assistance...anythi ng from a BBQ to trailer recovery of a bike. This past weekend I rode close to about 100 miles of the north end of the route. Nice stretch of gravel that at the right time of year...early through mid Sept will have EPIC stretches of fall colors in the Aspens.
Super! I'll shoot a PM a few days in advance.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here