Author Topic: Reawakening a stored V11 Cafe Sport - dealing with old fuel - Aviation 100LL E0  (Read 5632 times)

globetrotter

Hi all,
I need some help from some old timers. I did try a search on the forum and read about some other gasolines, but not quite the answer to my question.

I stored a 2004 V11 Cafe Sport a couple of years ago. I last started and ran it two summers ago before parking it in storage. At the time, I siphoned out as much of the old gas as possible, but couldn't get down into the (reserve?) pockets on each side of the tank, so there is an unknown amount of old fuel in there.

Now I'm in the process of getting it running to sell it. I just got a new battery (the OEM Spark 500 wouldn't take a charge) and tomorrow I want to get her going. Since I don't know how long it will take to sell, I thought about finding some 0% ethanol fuel, which isn't easy to find, since I believe Michigan law doesn't require %ethanol to be advertised on the pump. So just because it doesn't say anything, doesn't gurantee no ethanol.

I can get 0% ethanol at a local airport, and they have 93 octane and something called 100LL - I"m thinking that might be leaded. What would you suggest?

Would one tank of leaded do any harm?  I don't think it would as there is no catalytic converter and I don't think there will be any deposits from just one tank.

By the way, I tried but I just didn't feel comfortable trying to release the quick disconnects on the bottom of the tank to drain the fuel like the service manual suggests. They weren't moving, and all I could imagine was me snapping off the plastic do-hickey. So I don't want to do that.

And I won't ask about seafoam! LOL!  LOL!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
I'll give you $3k before you start it and meet you half way between you and Mpls to make the deal...

seriously tho..I would fill the tank with nice gas and hope it diluted enough to fire up just fine..  the lines to the throttle bodies and the injectors could be clogged, and the filter, but me? i'd just get new gas and go for it.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Just put some Shell premium in the bike and ride it.

Put in two or three gallons and ride it 50 miles, then top it off.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

globetrotter

If it helps: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Thanks, you all are great!  Yes the pure-gas is where I found out the airport in Marshall has E0.  ;-T

Think I'll try a few gallons of Shell and ride it, to get the old out. These bikes are pretty forgiving.

Also, thanks for the offer to buy....hoping to do a little bit better and sell without the drive...but I'll keep that offer in mind!

I see there are classifieds on Wildgoose too, which is nice to think about doing. And I have to use the popcorn dude, just because =>  :pop

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Yep.  Post it up in our classifieds when you get it cleaned up and ready.

How much $$$$ are you thinking ?   
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
No worries. My ex-ages started on a full tank of 3 yr. old fuel (B750) and ran fine. No new fuel added. with some fresh stuff you'll be fine.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

globetrotter

Yep.  Post it up in our classifieds when you get it cleaned up and ready.

How much $$$$ are you thinking ?   
Ok thanks for the tip. I didn't see a fee, only a donation requested, if I read the right info - and if so, obviously a donation is a reasonable request if it solicits a sale, and probably not more spam/scam risk than cycle trader (which worked ok for me on another bike).

I'm asking $4400, which while the bike has some issues (minor to me) I think is in the right ballpark. I am thinking I've priced it to reflect the need for a go through and full service by a new owner. And the odometer crapped out at just under 7k (seems to be like clock work) and now I have inaccurate miles (its under 10k and really probably under 8.5k), but that losses you some points with buyers. I had a mild low side once, and only evidence left is a scrapped lever and slight scratch on the fender. Its not a perfect bike, but its a good bike.

It was my first "real" motorcycle - , and my first MG, but I'm not too sentimental about it. I bonded with it in 2010, when it was all I had to get around on after being completely (completely) wiped out by the Great Recession. Those were some sweet summertime miles. I rode back and forth each weekend on the back country roads with almost no cars, from my new job 2hrs away and my old home. I remember just being so grateful to be back to work....thinking about life and what I'd been through....thankful I kept the Guzzi and that I had bought the Tekno bags that I never installed..came in handy!...just in medatative groove with the engine purring. I don't think I'll ever forget that summer so I'll always have the memories. I came to a point though, where going through that kind of detached me from "things" so, I'd rather see someone enjoy it and ride it like it should be. Funny, now I've been back to work, I've been so busy, time for riding is a luxury I don't have. Life.....its great though.

Someone once described MG guys as "bearded wierdos" I always laugh when I think about that.

When I'm ready for another bike, it will be another Guzzi that is 'fo 'sure.  ;-T ;-T ;-T

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
 :PICS!:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...

Someone once described MG guys as "bearded wierdos" I always laugh when I think about that.

I don't want to see any pics!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:23:01 AM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
If you always have and generally will be running ethanol fuel...  Then why bother putting one tank of non ethanol fuel thru it to start it?
I don't think 100 leaded non ethanol is going to do you any good.

Just put in fresh gas, maybe some injector cleaner or mystery oil and fire it up!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
Can we have a picture or 5. Please ?
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

globetrotter

Hi all,
Someone on the forum made an offer and deposit on the weekend, and sale should take place tomorrow afternoon. If the potential buyer doesn't want to buy it I will continue with plan to put add on this forum. If it does sell, I will still make a donation. There are some pictures on Cycle Trader (49017).

BTW - it did fire over and run. Thanks for all your help.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

globetrotter

Hi Everyone,

The bike has been sold and I've made a nominal donation to the board for appreciation.

Let me say this, Moto Guzzi enthusiasts are some of the coolest people you'll meet. And so are people from Wisconsin!

Like I said, when I'm ready for my next bike, you can be sure it'll be a Moto Guzzi.  :bow

Offline Skeeve

• Gaggle Hero

I can get 0% ethanol at a local airport, and they have 93 octane and something called 100LL - I"m thinking that might be leaded. What would you suggest?

Would one tank of leaded do any harm?  I don't think it would as there is no catalytic converter and I don't think there will be any deposits from just one tank.

You'd think correctly that the 100LL has lead in it. Only for surface vehicles [cars & motorcycles], the 100 (octane) LL ["low lead"] is anything but: it has WAY more tetra-ethyl lead in it than any premium gas back in the day carried, and should never be run straight in an engine that wasn't designed to run on it. What it *does* make is for a wonderful octane booster on vehicles w/o a catcon [like our older bikes.] At a dilution of about 8oz per tankful, you'll get a nice octane boost [the TEL in the 100LL is going to have a magnified effect when mixed into unleaded fuel, since you'll be nowhere near the point of diminishing returns as the 100LL is... Play with it a little, & you can probably figure out how much you need to add to a tank of UL regular to make it perform like UL premium. :) ]

But as others have already said, just top off w/ some fresh premium & ride long enough to flush the old stuff out of the lines & you should be fine. Worst case scenario, you may have to pull the injectors and run them thru an ultrasonic bath to get old varnish off.

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
I'm the lucky person to pick this up on Wednesday. More details to follow, but I must say that Globetrotter is a class act. Thanks again!
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here